• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 416C Backhoe steering cylinder leak

Ahastings52

Will it hurt if it's deformed a little bit? Also is there a certain direction these seals go the others were completely disintegrated when I got everything apart and I don't want to do this twice lol

Attachments

• PXL_20221212_225212527.jpg
    PXL_20221212_225212527.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20221212_225224741.jpg
    PXL_20221212_225224741.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

AllDodge

In most cases it will not hurt the seals to deform a bit, so long as the lip is not cut or nicked

The lip of the seal always goes toward the pressure, unless your talking a exterior wiper seal. A wiper seal faces toward the outside air so it wipes dirt and crud from the shaft when its being retracted

Internal seals I try to not use tools and just my hands to push them in place.

Exterior seals I'll use a real small screw driver or Awl and place it under the inside of the seal and roll it around the outside to work it into the grove

AllDodge

First we need your serial number to look at drawings

Something doesn't look right when comparing to mine (post 22 link). With mine in post 9 and 10 (see link) it used 2 of the same color seals inside (blue) and the Black wiper seal on the outside. I layed the seals out after removing in order (post 9). Your model and seal kit may be different then mine but right now they look similar

photo199-jpg.116611

AllDodge

Thanks, Your serial number is 4ZN00701

Finding kit number 178-7189 and if pic is correct (link below) then it uses same number of seals as mine. This is assuming yours has just the one spanner nut on the right side. Right after your S/N CAT changed the cylinder which had a screw in nut on each end, which appears to combine the guide and a lock nut together
https://aftermarket.express/caterpillar/1787189

The pic shows sort of clear ones (bottom left link above) but color means nothing other then the count. The bottom left seals would be the wiper seals used on the outside of the guide.

This drawing shows 3 seals on each end as mine had
4ZN Steer.jpg

Ahastings52

Yes my kit is a blumaq 1787189 it had everything I needed I have it back together now just got to hook the lines up and keep my fingers crossed