• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 416C Backhoe steering cylinder leak

DirtyHands

Occupation
NDE Analyst Nuclear Power Field
The steering cylinder is leaking on my Cat 416C backhoe (serial # 1wr09267). What is the removal procedure? I will attach some pics if I can.
Another question - what is the purpose of the solenoids located at the bottom of the front loader control valve body. Looks like mine was damaged before I bought it but it doesn't seem to affect the operation that I can tell. I noticed while I was underneath machine adjusting parking brake caliper. The two 1/4"x6" bolts were bent but I was able to remove it. Unfortunately the threaded piece connecting solenoid linkage to spool was broken and I can't easily get to it. The wires were pulled loose also.
Thanks in advance for any help. Much appreciated.DSC00041.JPG DSC00043.JPG DSC00045.JPG DSC00046.JPG

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Steering cylinder D&A procedure attached.
I'm not 100% sure, but is the centre section of that 3-section valve only used when the machine is equipped with either a clamshell bucket or a quick-attach on the loader arms for accessories..? The outside sections would be for bucket lift & bucket tilt functions.

Attachments

• 1WR Strg Cyl D&A.pdf
    358.5 KB · Views: 47

DirtyHands

Occupation
Thank you Nige for the reply. I appreciate your time and advice.
I do have the 4 in 1 bucket and the quick attach. I just purchased a set of forks and they are nearly worth their weight in gold. The quick attach has worked as I have changed the bucket and forks a few times and the locking cylinder pins have retracted and engaged. I want to get the steering leak fixed first and then I will see if there are issues with quick attach. I just noticed the tilt will not hold when I release the lever.DSC00047.JPG DSC00048.JPG DSC00049.JPG

DirtyHands

Occupation
Got the steering cylinder out. Had to use pipe wrench on spanner nut with a 6 ft cheater pipe then took a 20 lb sledge hammer and block of wood. After about 10 or 12 whacks it came out. As you can see in pics the rod is bent. I dropped it off at machine shop specializing in hydraulic cylinders and they will straighten or make me a new one. I'll update on cost when I get it back.DSC00050.JPG DSC00052.JPG DSC00053.JPG

ttazzman

seems like there are some old theads on repacking the steering cylinder on this site.........i know i had to do mine several years ago and i dont remember the details but i do remember there was some information on this site

DirtyHands

Occupation
seems like there are some old theads on repacking the steering cylinder on this site.........i know i had to do mine several years ago and i dont remember the details but i do remember there was some information on this site
Thanks ttazzman. I was unsure how to get the cylinder off the machine. I didn't readily see the flats on the left end of the rod that would allow me to get the knuckles off. I bought a 2" wrench from Northern Tool to turn the knuckles and had a 1 1/8" to hold the rod. I got a good workout that day. We have a fantastic shop local that can fix ANY hydraulic cylinder so I just left it with them. Had it not been bent I would have just bought a seal kit and resealed it myself.

DirtyHands

Occupation
Picked up cylinder from machine shop this morning and thankfully they were able to straighten out the rod. The cost was $185 to straighten and reseal. Had it back on the machine by noon. The rod was much easier to turn than when it was bent. Now I will focus on the broken solenoid. DSC00055.JPG

AllDodge

I rebuilt my cylinder and was easy enough, and disconnected the tie rods and then removed them from the cylinder, worked easy. Did causes an issue trying to get the cylinder out (was not able to).

How did you get the cylinder out?

DirtyHands

Occupation
I rebuilt my cylinder and was easy enough, and disconnected the tie rods and then removed them from the cylinder, worked easy. Did causes an issue trying to get the cylinder out (was not able to).

How did you get the cylinder out?
AllDodge it was not easy. I took off the spanner nut with pipe wrench and cheater pipe. I thought the cylinder may tap loose with a rubber hammer but not even close. I tried a large ball peen hammer with a piece of wood but it wouldn't budge. I ended up using a 4x4 balanced on a 5 gallon bucket with another piece of wood shimmed to get the right height and a 20 pound sledge hammer. I scribed a line on the cylinder to see if it was moving and for about the first 10 or so whacks it never budged. It did finally come loose but I was really swinging the hammer. BTW I was placing 4x4 on the edge of the cylinder and not impacting the rod. I considered buying a 10 ton porta power ram kit but was able to get it out.

LN Pipeline

I think that solenoid is for your “return to dig” sensor, if it is on your tilt spool.

Should cylinder bores be honed if they are perfectly smooth? Some say you should have the cross hatch pattern, but it seems most people just put in new seals and call it good.

DirtyHands

Occupation
CAT said they have a press to push out and in. Hope it goes in easier. Found out it doesn't need to be removed to rebuild

In case it needs to be hammered back in, I would take it back apart first
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/another-416c-steering-cylinder-leak.42428/
Thanks AllDodge. I removed the e-clip from the LH side of the cylinder but couldn't get the rod out either by pulling or pushing from RH side. I just kept hammering from the right side and the whole cylinder finally came out. Putting back in was pretty easy. I cleaned the inner and outer surfaces really well and coated with white lithium grease. I was careful not to roll the lip seal but I did have to tap it in far enough to get the spanner nut some threads to grab. Turned the nut with pipe wrench and it pulled up nicely. I cleaned and coated the threads on the knuckles and they went on pretty easy. I probably should have used some threadlock on them but I will keep an eye on them. Looking at the other thread you posted I think the $185 I paid was reasonable given the fact they did the work, provided the seals and even straightened the rod.

DirtyHands

Occupation
I think that solenoid is for your “return to dig” sensor, if it is on your tilt spool.

Should cylinder bores be honed if they are perfectly smooth? Some say you should have the cross hatch pattern, but it seems most people just put in new seals and call it good.
Thanks LN Pipeline for the info. Mine does have the return to dig set-up but I won't ever use it I don't think. I just put the solenoid assembly back on the machine with the inner link rod still broken. It needed the springs to hold the spool in the up position so now my tilt holds like it should. Thanks for inspiring the lightbulb moment. I was about to try and pull spool out from top and replace the solenoid, now I don't need to. Many thanks to all!!

DirtyHands

Occupation
Good observation Mike !
The wiper seal looks distorted to me.
I thought the same thing about the rod but it is smooth to the touch. The wiper seal is straight...must be an illusion. If it fails I will def let you all know right after I drop it off to be repaired.