• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 313csr excavator

Arbakka

Machine worked fine one day. Parked and came back next day wouldn't start, started by "jumping the starter " but throttle wouldn't work and hydraulics were locked out can't find the problem? Is there a module that would cause this? Help please!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That sounds very much like a fuse or circuit breaker. Have you tried the main circuit breaker (and all the others as well) to see if any of them are tripped..? I would also go through all the fuses checking each one of them with a multimeter to see if you have a blown fuse.

Arbakka

That was my first thought as well. I checked the circuit breaker and fuses as well as the relays (switched them around as they all have the same numbers on them). I did find a module under the cab it has a Cat label on it but it also has wires running to a light and a coil which resembles an anti-theft device? Is there such a module out there for equipment???

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
They are all made in a joint partnership with Mitsubishi in Japan.

Have you checked the master switch? Someone could have needed a key and took yours. I also seem to recall the batteries being in a bad place behind the cab and difficult to get access to. Battery cables are a common issue with all those reduced tail swing machines. I would also be checking for rodent droppings or nesting back in the battery compartment.

Arbakka

Checked batteries and cables, all seems ok. Like I said earlier it will start if I jump the starter solenoid so the power is sufficient it's just not getting there. Thx for replies

Nige

OK, so Houston we have a problem......

The WSA-prefix 313C has no non-Japanese-built equivalent model to look at in order to find technical information, so there isn't even an electrical schematic of something similar to look at in order to figure out where the power goes from the batteries. The nearest thing I can see that MIGHT work is a 312C of CBA or FDS-prefix to get an idea of the electrics. I have never worked on this range of machines so I'm batting a bit in the dark here although TBH I would have thought that all the basic electrics ought to be similar if not identical in pretty much the whole 311C-315C range of machines. I may be wrong there though.

If someone could get hold of an Electrical Schematic for a CBA/FBS machine that might be a start.

I did find a module under the cab it has a Cat label on it but it also has wires running to a light and a coil which resembles an anti-theft device? Is there such a module out there for equipment???
Does that module have a Part Number on it as well as the Cat label..? Try posting a photo of it and see if one of our resident excavator experts recognizes it.

Per Eriksson

I'd try the schematics for a 314C machine, like SNY for example, they are very similar in the build. Here's that schematic View attachment UENR3210UENR3210_SIS.pdf

Check neutral start relay ... oh chit, sometimes I hate CAT and their love for over engineering stuff.........

They not only have 2 normal relays involved in turning the starter, they also added 2 diodes, and a timer box/eletronic relay to the mix......

Last edited:

Arbakka

The module has these numbers on it (sorry I don't know how to post pics on here). EJ61-07200B
15-201-024.

PS. I don't think it's a converter because one wire coming in has12v. The others have 24v

Nige

Thanks to our excavator expert Per Eriksson you have a link above to a schematic for a 314C that should be close enough to cover the basics, at least regarding the main power supply & neutral start function which is where your problem might well lie. The wire(s) to follow to see whether or not they have power would seem to be 101 Red from the starter motor & then also 109 Red after the alternator circuit breaker in the direction of the start relay.

To upload a photo when posting hover your cursor over the line of icons immediately above the screen in which you are typing your text. The next-to-last one on the right hand side will say "insert image". Click that icon and when the small window opens tell it where the file it that you want to upload.

If you can identify some wire colours & numbers going to/from the module in question that also might help to identify it.

Arbakka

broke down and brought in professional help as I am terrible with wiring stuff. Just to let you guys know the module was (to our best determination) some form of anti-theft device and we removed it which solved the starting and hydraulic issues. However the throttle/shutoff issue turned out to be a hole at the bottom of the muffler blowing hot exhaust on the throttle cables melting them together. Worked fine when hot, but when it cooled it fused together making the throttle inoperable. Thx for all the help.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'd try the schematics for a 314C machine, like SNY for example, they are very similar in the build. Here's that schematic View attachment 155730

Check neutral start relay ... oh chit, sometimes I hate CAT and their love for over engineering stuff.........

They not only have 2 normal relays involved in turning the starter, they also added 2 diodes, and a timer box/eletronic relay to the mix......

This is a little off topic but I'm quoting the above as an example.

How do you post a PDF to this forum so it can be directly downloaded like the one in the post above?