• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK tachometer drive puller for 188D diesel

Festeraxp

Occupation
I walk the toughest blocks in State
The tags where the serial number was are gone. All I have is the one on the engine. Then there was one below the seat but it’s all faded away.

Festeraxp

Occupation
It sucks because it would be a lot easier to find stuff out about it. It was my paps. I’m assuming early 70’s or late 60’s. Maybe earlier.

Tinkerer

It appears to be a 580CK. The air cleaner is different on the 580 series C.
So, someone has converted it to a alternator. I am guessing it is wired incorrectly or the alternator is defective.
Is it a GM alternator ? I have done those conversions myself and the idiot light works correctly.

Festeraxp

Occupation
The idiot light worked correctly before too but now after I rewired it, it stays on. So obviously I did something wrong.

Tinkerer

Can you post a photo to the back of the alternator. It appears the wiring is incorrect from what little I can see. There should be a plastic plug with two wires plugged onto two spade connectors at the top of the alternator.

Festeraxp

Occupation
I see the spot where the tab should be plugged in but I do not have one. Any suggestions. What wires are supposed to run to it?

Tinkerer

That plug can be purchased at any auto parts store. I don't know how your red light is wired but it needs to be wired like in the photo I am posting.
upload_2019-2-3_17-23-22-jpeg.192261
y gm.jpg