• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK tachometer drive puller for 188D diesel

jerry D enright

fresteraxp, & tinkerer, I have the same problem with trying to rewire my 33s (71-580CK) this Delco Remy was already installed prior to my purchase...I asked a few guys last week but only received pics on the generator installs...I am totally lost with this rats nest of wiring...

JGuild

PJ. That’s what I did to. $150 for tach drive and another 50 for a cable. At the time was rebuilding the entire 188d and couldn’t justify the costs just to make the tach spin. I eventually may get it working but certainly not a requirement.

I am surprised by the people who were able to make a piece of all thread work. I tried several times but no success.

Coy. Patents cost way to much for something like this. And the whole point of this great forum IMO is to share the knowledge. Plus If someone wanted one I’d figure out how much is fair to make another...
Doug,

Any chance you’d consider making one of these awesome pullers for someone like me? Or at least let me know what one would cost for your trouble? I’m in the same predicament - have a new drive gear and cable - just need to remove the old drive gear.

Any info is welcome.

JGuild

Anyone on here have any experience/success removing the little square end of the tach drive cable from the tach drive gear itself? I finally had a chance to check mine out. I was able to unthread the fitting and much to my surprise, the drive gear spins as the engine runs. However, my problem is the end of the cable being broken down inside of little center hole of the drive gear so it will not accept the new cable. Just wondering if it is even possible to remove it when it is stuck that way. I’ve tried a little magnet with no luck.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tinkerer

Remove the drive from the block. Turn it upside down and tap it on something solid.
A vise, open just far enough to let the cable piece fall through would be my choice.
A dental pick my pull it out to. I like dental picks because they are extremely small, hard and sharp.
FWIW - A dental pick is the best thing I ever used to remove deeply embedded slivers. Especially steel slivers.

Doug Overkill

Occupation
Machinist
Doesn’t sound like you still need the puller. If you do I may have time to finally make a couple sets.

I agree with the dental picks. I own a set in every toolbox in some form. Just gently work the gap until the piece is loose enough to pluck it out.
Of course if the drive comes out then the upside bump on the vise should do it.

JGuild

Doesn’t sound like you still need the puller. If you do I may have time to finally make a couple sets.

I agree with the dental picks. I own a set in every toolbox in some form. Just gently work the gap until the piece is loose enough to pluck it out.
Doug,

Would greatly appreciate if you were able to make up a puller for me in the event I am unable to get the end of the cable out of the existing drive gear. Let me know what you would charge me for such a tool. I would most certainly pay the shipping to get it here.

Best regards,

JGuild

JGuild

Doug,

many chance you can send me that puller you made up? Or have time to make me up a new one? Hoping to tackle this tach drive gear soon.

Thanks

Tinkerer

You could screw the cable back on it and grip the thumb nut with a vice grip. It may come out with very little effort.
Be careful to not damage the nut.
If the cable sheared off flush or below the drive shaft you will need to pull the tach drive out of the block to remove it.

Doug Overkill

Occupation
Machinist
Since I have been asked a couple times now. I am going to make a batch of these tachometer pullers. I’ve been meaning to for a while and it’s seems like now that snowmobile season has ended I’ll have some time. I’m not sure what they will cost. It may depend on how many I create in this batch. My first guess is to sell them for ~$50 with free shipping.

quick show of hands. Who may want one?