• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK Loader Lift Hyd Cyl Replacement

arborist1

You all are a huge help everytime I come around.

One of my lift cylinders has a dent in it which has rubbed a flat spot on the piston. The gland and rod are fine.
I am having trouble finding a replacement cylinder. What companies would you all suggest checking for a replacement?
Are there new cylinders that would fit or cylinders from later case 580?

Thank you

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
How big is the dent and how far down along the cylinder? My hydraulic shop nearby had to repair a badly galled set of barrel threads, they were able to fix the threads but a re-barrel was an option, its just a tube. Could make an expando tool, a couple low slope wedges and a threaded puller, screw it into the spot and push it out from inside. Might have to warm it up a little.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Try calling Schaefer Enterprises in Groom Lake IL at 800-626-6046. Also the is a company up in the Buffalo NY area Conequip parts at 888-983-7847

arborist1

fast_st - I added some pictures. Its a good size dent/gouge in the case which has created an internal dimple.

Coy- Thank you for the referrals. I will give them a try.

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • pistonside.jpg
    pistonside.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • caseliftcyl1.jpg
    caseliftcyl1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 28
  • caseliftcyl2.jpg
    caseliftcyl2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Wow, that is a dent and it looks pretty old! really cuts down on the lifting power. Sadly there isn't any good way to clean out the hydraulic tank but the return filter should catch most of it.

Tinkerer

Wow, that is a dent and it looks pretty old! really cuts down on the lifting power. Sadly there isn't any good way to clean out the hydraulic tank but the return filter should catch most of it.
When there is that much contamination the filter will be plugged and useless. It most likely is already.
It will prolly need to have 3 filters changed during the flushing procedure.
The system flush needs to be done before the pump and cylinders are damaged.

There is a likely chance the control valves are going to be damaged also if the flush is postponed.
It should be done before the repaired / replacement cylinder is connected to the hoses.

arborist1

Does it seem like the barrel could be repaired or should I go ahead and replace them?
Tinkerer - Other than multiple filters, are there other parts you would suggest replacing given the potential for damage?

Tinkerer

Take the damaged cylinder to hydraulic repair shop and have them give you a price to repair it.
Looks to me that only the rod and barrel end can be reused.
A new gland and tube plus the reseal kit will be pricy.
I would spend some time on the internet looking for a used cylinder.
Did you call Shaefer ? They are good people to deal with.
So is Randy at Farmland Tractor.
https://www.farmlandtractor.com/

Another retired Case dealer with a bone yard is jean claude Marleau in Canada. Awesome man !
jcmarleau@aol.com