• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580C shuttle shift loose

Polymath

Hello everyone,

Brand new here and new to heavy equipment. I bought a Case 580C backhoe a few months ago. Already had to pull two cylinders to get repacked and fix the right brake (actuating lever broke) so I am becoming familiar with it. Next thing I want to try to tackle is the shuttle shift. The lever is a bit loose and will not stay in place without me holding it. I took a look at the linkage below where it meets the transmission and there a few points I could tighten.
My question is, has anyone else ever had this issue and if so, did adjusting the linkage fix it or was there more involved? Do you think changing the fluid and cleaning the screen might help as well?

Thanks,

Aaron

Vetech63

When you say the lever will not stay in place are you talking about the lever on the shuttle control? If so, there is a decent ball and spring in the case behind the lever and the lever itself has detents. You will need to remove the solenoid (de clutch) that is screwed to the shaft for access.

Polymath

When you say the lever will not stay in place are you talking about the lever on the shuttle control? If so, there is a decent ball and spring in the case behind the lever and the lever itself has detents. You will need to remove the solenoid (de clutch) that is screwed to the shaft for access.
The lever on the shuttle control yes. It is mounted beside the steering column and has a notch for neutral. If you push it forward it goes in reverse and pull it back for going forward. It stays easier when pulled back going forward as long as you are on level ground but when you push it forward to go in reverse, it tends to fall back toward neutral or forward due to the fact it is angled up like the steering wheel.

Polymath

Interesting observation guys. I was wondering whether it might be backwards or not. I was able to look at the linkage for the shuttle shift again yesterday and it is a bit different than the exploded view you guys graciously provided me. I was going to upload a picture but seems I need to upload it elsewhere and then post the URL here. What site do you guys use most to post pictures here?

Tinkerer

You do not need to post a link to a photo hosting site. HEF has graciously provided a way to post them within the forums.
Images I post are always shown as you see them in real life.
To post an image click on upload file (blue pane) in the reply box.
Locate your image wherever you have it stored. (I always save mine to my desktop.)
It will upload in a few seconds.
You can then choose to post it as a thumbnail or full sized image.upload.png

Last edited:

Polymath

Hey guys I apologize. I meant to post this sooner but have been busy with my wife's birthday. This is a photo of the underside of my backhoe and the shuttle shift linkage. I would love to be able to post a serial number but unfortunately the badge where it is supposed to be is faded.

Attachments

• 20200101_143336.jpg
    20200101_143336.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 81

Tinkerer

I think you need to have someone shift that thing repeatedly from forward to reverse while you look at the linkage and determine where it was changed to reverse the way it moves the valve.
Somewhere there is a component installed backwards or upside down IMHO.
Maybe #28 in the drawing.

redranch

I think you need to have someone shift that thing repeatedly from forward to reverse while you look at the linkage and determine where it was changed to reverse the way it moves the valve.
Somewhere there is a component installed backwards or upside down IMHO.
Maybe #28 in the drawing.

redranch

If im reading this right the shuttle lever in the cab is slipping down while going forward into neutral. I use to have a 580c that did that, this is kind of red neck but I took epoxy and kind of built up a little raise part on the lever so it wouldnt slide down, lasted for 10 years till i sold it.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
There is a detent ball and spring that holds the shuttle shift lever in place. The early ones were behind the shift lever bell crank in a drilled hole in shuttle housing. They had trouble with those because dirt would get in there and stick ball and not let it detent the lever. Case did an up grade and replace the cap on the other end of shuttle control valve and put the detent ball in the cap.

Polymath

Definitely sounds like two different issues guys. Let's tackle the first one. The shifter is loose and will not stay in place, especially when pushed forward (it slides backwards to neutral). If you think it is the detent ball and spring in the shuttle housing, would it be best to remove the shuttle from the bell housing to take it apart and check/repair?

For the shifter possibly being backwards (I push the lever forward it goes in reverse, I pull the lever back and it goes forward), I do not really see a place I could reverse the motion of it except the cylinder that goes into the housing (I don't know what it is called. I have attached a picture which outlines all the linkage involved in yellow, a red arrow pointing to the ear where the link meets the shuttle and a blue arrow pointing to a nub sticking out on the housing below the cylinder. The only way I could see reversing the motion is to rotate that cylinder where the ear and link are below it and not above. However, that nub protruding from the housing would prevent that from occurring.

Does anyone have a manual and/or repair manual for a 580C or do I need to buy one off the net? Thanks guys for your time.

Attachments

• Shuttle shift linkage.jpg
    Shuttle shift linkage.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 64

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Re your issue about the lever direction operation. I see that your pivot (#29) is upside down - the bracket should be pointing UP not down.
Removing the linkages & turning the pivot 180 degrees will correct that part of the selection issue.
Someone may have altered the adjustments to correct the lever positions & that may require some tweeking.

There is no need to remove the shuttle to replace the detent spring & ball - simply remove the cut out solenoid & the lever plate will be able to be removed.
Fit a new spring & ball - the drilling in the housing sometimes gets worn laterally - but you should be able to get reasonable function with a new spring.

The lever plate maybe worn where detent ball runs across the three drillings - nothing some weld & a drill can't fix ;)

580c shuttle links.png

Polymath

Re your issue about the lever direction operation. I see that your pivot (#29) is upside down - the bracket should be pointing UP not down.
Removing the linkages & turning the pivot 180 degrees will correct that part of the selection issue.
Someone may have altered the adjustments to correct the lever positions & that may require some tweeking.

There is no need to remove the shuttle to replace the detent spring & ball - simply remove the cut out solenoid & the lever plate will be able to be removed.
Fit a new spring & ball - the drilling in the housing sometimes gets worn laterally - but you should be able to get reasonable function with a new spring.

The lever plate maybe worn where detent ball runs across the three drillings - nothing some weld & a drill can't fix ;)

View attachment 208490
Checking in again. I did turn the pivot up as the diagram shows as well as adjust the links and the forward/reverse is still backwards. I wonder if there is something in the cutout solenoid where you can turn it 180° and make the shuttle shift right? Ran out of time today but didn't really see a way to take it apart and get to the detent ball and spring.