• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK rear differential way overfull why?

onemank6

hahaha yea its amazing how it starts out as a rebuild and ends up like that but thats ok i had a blast doing it.....like Grady had said let this be a lesson for those who are considering breathing as much paint as i did doing this project....hahahahaha

D26....About now your probably thinking were crazy and i assure you were only part time crazy i think :crazy:crazy:crazy:falldownlaugh

dad2six

[..About now your probably thinking were crazy and i assure you were only part time crazy i think :crazy:crazy:crazy:falldownlaugh[/QUOTE]

Na you guys sound like my kind of guys! Old abe story is awesome!

onemank6

Gotta give it to you it looks like your right after getting her ready to tear up some ground i seen that 30" bucket you got and i dont blame you that 12" is small but i would hold onto it as it might come in handy trenching and digging stumps i think mine is a 24".....

Last edited:

dad2six

Hey guys I'm trying to look up and order all the filters I will need. Engine oil, Fuel, Hydraulic I think there are 3 different ones on my tractor? But there are many different options a im getting confused
do you know the part numbers I will need for all the filters? My Serial Number is 832333

1968 Case 580CK

Dad 2 6000.......explain how that Titan knarley tooth gadget works.....does it mount to the end of the backhoe bucket? Intended to break up the ground, like a subsoiler on a tractor?

1968 Case 580CK

Hey guys I'm trying to look up and order all the filters I will need. Engine oil, Fuel, Hydraulic I think there are 3 different ones on my tractor? But there are many different options a im getting confused
do you know the part numbers I will need for all the filters? My Serial Number is 832333

Dad26.......I highly reccomend that you contact Dale at Tractor Stuff (Xpac gave his number already), as his prices are amazing, and he will answer all those questions which you dont even have yet. Filters......there is also a power steering filter which many dont know about, and Xpac and I had a contest for having the dirtiest power steering fluid......he won that one.

dad2six

Dad26.......I highly reccomend that you contact Dale at Tractor Stuff (Xpac gave his number already), as his prices are amazing, and he will answer all those questions which you dont even have yet. Filters......there is also a power steering filter which many dont know about, and Xpac and I had a contest for having the dirtiest power steering fluid......he won that one.
Thanks for the reminder yeah that sounds a lot easier than trying to figure it all out myself

onemank6

d26 no doubt Dale is the easy way to go he knows his s--- but if you want to get them at napa they have them to or they can order them heres a list of what you need of the filters and i might have the napa#'s if you need them .....

1) power steering filter which is located in the pump reservoir you remove the acorn nut on the end of the reservoir and the whole reservoir comes off to access the filter and the oil you put back in is hydraulic oil (it is messy) but like 68 said it needs to be done mine was real bad.....

2) there is a primary and secondary fuel filter located on the left side of the engine in the fuel canisters......

3) there is a hydraulic shuttle filter in a canister in front of the radiator on that canister there are 4 bolts on top to remove the top cover dont throw away the oring you may need to reuse it .....

4) there is a hydraulic oil filter for the loader and backhoe hydraulic oil they share the same oil so this filter covers both there is a spacer pipe between the left and right side tanks right above the fuel tank all the way to the right of that pipe where that gauge is screwed into the bottom of that canister...That canister has a big nut built to the top of it you remove the top and the filter inside is for the hydraulic oil.....

5)The air filter is a oil bath breather just open it up and drain the old oil and clean the metal filter with some diesel and refill oil with motor oil.....

6) the engine in that should be a 188d if its diesel so you just ask for a oil filter for that engine ....It is diesel isnt it ??????

There is also a breather for the shuttle it is right under the fuel tank it looks like the one i sent you for the rearend that yours is missing its not a bad idea to take the cover off of that and blow it out (muddobbers)

Also while your there with this power shuttle its not a bad idea to make sure the fins on the radiator are clean as there is a oil cooler built into the radiator which your shuttle oil passes threw.....

The hydraulic oil for the loader/backhoe is filled by removing the pipe plug on the right side of the tractor i think it is a 7/16 wrench its about 12" or so from the top of that tank and the breather cap on the top of the tank on the right side the add hyd oil threw the top until it comes out that plug hole and put the plug back in .....i ended up building a sight glass for that plug hole so i didnt make a mess filling it and i dont have to mess with that plug it in that thread i sent you earlier......

I hope i havent forgot any filters but if you have any questions about any of this feel free to fire away with them.......

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
580CK Loader Backhoe Common Filters

I'll post this here for the benefit of anyone looking for a Case part number out of the Parts book to cross over to other filter makes. Some of the Case numbers may have been superceded but they are a starting point.

The shuttle and loader/backhoe hydraulic filters were sourced from the Case dealer but come from Fleetguard, which I believe are Hydraulic Filtration. The fuel filters are Fleetguard made by Wix. The power steering pump filter and O ring are Case but you might be able to find them aftermarket. I didn't have a spare 188 diesel engine oil filter to show, but the Case number will cross over to Fleetguard, Wix and a lot of other names.

If anyone has other numbers or info, please post them up.

Attachments

• DSCF4847.jpg
    DSCF4847.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 194

dad2six

I'll post this here for the benefit of anyone looking for a Case part number out of the Parts book to cross over to other filter makes. Some of the Case numbers may have been superceded but they are a starting point.

The shuttle and loader/backhoe hydraulic filters were sourced from the Case dealer but come from Fleetguard, which I believe are Hydraulic Filtration. The fuel filters are Fleetguard made by Wix. The power steering pump filter and O ring are Case but you might be able to find them aftermarket. I didn't have a spare 188 diesel engine oil filter to show, but the Case number will cross over to Fleetguard, Wix and a lot of other names.

If anyone has other numbers or info, please post them up.

Thanks!!

dad2six

I pulled the covers off and this is what I found.
image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

dad2six

I drained the water out of the rear till just oil was coming out. And it was at this level. Sorry I'm not sure why it's flipping the pictures upside down. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Good that you got the water out. It may just be an optical illusion but it looks like the oil level in the differential section is higher than the transmission. I don't have mine open yet, but since they are a single fill, I would have expected the levels to be the same. You do have the tube between the torque tube/shuttle and the transmission pinched off, so that isn't likely a problem.

You should get 68case, xpack and maybe one or two of the other guys on here to give you some feedback on the oil levels.

1968 Case 580CK

Dad26.......Wow.....that was alot of water you drained out.....glad to see you got it out. Looks like all the teeth on your gears are in great shape. Mine had some pretty bad chips, and I got all the chips and fine metal out with a magnet when I flushed it and put fresh oil in. With the level that high, Im surprised that you did not have some serious oil leaking out along the brake shoe seals.....so, those seals must still be in good shape.

Here is a pic of when I filled-up the rear-end with fresh oil: You can see the dipstick, and I think this is the correct full level.

April 2015 Case Repairs 348.jpg

Heres a pic showing the crud in the bottom......so, since you went this far, I would reccomend that you also drain out the old oil and then put the plug in and maybe add a couple gallons of diesel to slosh around and help get the debris out....then drain, and use a magnetic tipped pick-up tool to fetch any metal if its laying on the bottom:

April 2015 Case Repairs 173.jpg

Heres the cleaned diff., and ready for fresh oil:
April 2015 Case Repairs 186.jpg

And I believe this is the correct full level in the tranny, as it was taken after I had filled up the rear end with fresh fluid......and I "think" that the fluid had equalized the same in each since there are holes on the bottom that connect the two chambers:

April 2015 Case Repairs 839.jpg

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
D26 & 68case, I checked mine and its high, as expected due to the transfer from the shuttle to the trans and diff. The dipstick has a mark on it, down quite a ways from where mine is sitting. I can now confirm that I have oil transferring from the torque tube into the trans and diff, because I put less than a full pail in when I changed it last and there is no water in mine now.

D26, Once you decide what you are going to do, and if you change the oil, you can better keep an eye on the level to see if you have issues other than the water coming in the open vent. The book says 17qts for the trans /diff. I'll see how much I get out when I eventually drain mine for the split.

Those are great pictures from both of you.

1968 Case 580CK

Jusk......What I cant quite understand is why the fluid in Dad26's tranny wasnt alot higher......if his differential case was that full, then why didnt the fluid flow thru the holes and fill up the tranny box alot higher? Any possibilities for this to happen?