• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK rear differential way overfull why?

dad2six

Jusk......What I cant quite understand is why the fluid in Dad26's tranny wasnt alot higher......if his differential case was that full, then why didnt the fluid flow thru the holes and fill up the tranny box alot higher? Any possibilities for this to happen?

True, I had not thought of that. Why would it not go back in to the trans case the diff case was much much fuller than the trans

onemank6

d26 Im with 68 that should of been even between the tranny and the rear end while you have them covers i would look and try to see if something is plugged up or if you can see why this isnt allowing oil to transfer between the 2.....I really didnt look at mine that close when i had it apart so i cant say for sure how it transfers between the 2 but there has to be a way.....It looks like someone has been in there before because of the crimped pipe in the hole which should do the job..

How much water did you get out 1-2gal and does that oil thats in there now seem like hyd oil or 80-90wt it looks like it went down to close to where it should be now ?????

dad2six

I drained out around 1 gal or so of water. And it's deffinitly just hydraulic fluid. Looks like new clean fluid too

onemank6

Hey d26 have you checked the oil level in the shuttle yet i havent heard you mention it if so where do you think it compares to the trans oil level ??

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
D26, Keep in mind that the trans and diff call out for SAE90 Gear Oil, the shuttle and torque convertor use Case TCH, now Hytran Ultra, not hydraulic oil and your Power Steering and Loader Hydraulics can use either Hytran or a quality hydraulic oil. One of the reasons I'm splitting mine at the trans is to replace the seal and check that pipe between the cases. The two shouldn't be mixing and mine is increasing oil in the trans/diff case.

There is lots of discussion on using the Case Hytran but in my limited experience it has been superior to other similar oils.

Last edited:

1968 Case 580CK

This is the only pic I could find, but if you look close, you can see a hole near the front bottom of the differential case.......so the gear oil should flow thru this hole and equalize in the tranny box in front. I am confused how the levels could be that much different. Any suggestions? Clogged hole at bottom?

April 2015 Case Repairs 189.jpg

onemank6

d26 if all else fails drink enough of that operators fluid until it looks like they are even hahhaha

On the shuttle oil i bought the hy trans from tractor supply at about $35.00 for a 5 gallon bucket when i first did the rebuild on mine and with it being cold out it had to warm up some before it would move and because i wanted to know how much difference the case brand oil would make to this i went and bought the hy trans from case at about $100.00 for 5 gallons and mine will move as soon as you start it now in cold weather so the oil does make a difference..I always warm mine up before using it ....except during this little test.....And the shuttle only requires something like 16 qts .....and the rearend being around 17 qts of the 80-90 the rear end i am using the tractor supply stuff.....

By the way does your seem to move ok or does it seem sluggish just curious ???????????

Last edited:

dad2six

Mine moves much better after about 1 min after starting. Then it moves good. When I first got it the oil in the shuttle was very very low and it did not want to move. I filled it up and it moved fine but then the leak out of the brake cover got much worse. Suggesting the shuttle oil is moving between the 3 cases.

Speaking of the tractor supply store. I went there the other day and picked up this suspension seat on sale for $89.99 seemed like a deal.
image.jpg

dad2six

I put the bumper on and made a grill for it this morning. Just need to paint it black. image.jpg

onemank6

d26 i agree with you with you something dont seem right if adding shuttle oil and it starts leaking worse at the brakes....After you find out why the oil isnt transferring between the trans and rearend i would be tempted to drain everything and refill both with the tsc hy trans because its cheaper just so you can use it for now until you can fix the problem then go with the case oil ....I have read where guys did that because they had a leak between the 2 then the worry of the 2 mixing didnt matter the only thing i would wonder about this is does the shuttle and trans oil level match????

That does seem like a good price on the seat you just want to check that you have enough room to spin that seat after you mount it and you will propably need to fab something for your original mount i think jusk put a plate on his original mount and adapted the seat to it ...I did some bending and welding to get mine tofit there is a post about that on my thread.....

Also i think this seat qualifies your seat to have the title Barco lounger with options we shall see what 68 calls it my old one was from one of those power scooter and grey and cloth and 68 named it my Barco lounger yours looks like you could of got a optional beer holder better order it you will want it ......hahahaha

nice job on that grille looks good..........any idea what the slots are about on that bumper ????????????

dad2six

Barco lounger HA Ha
Yeah the slots made it easy to hold a wrench on the nuts holding the bumper on. Someone cut them just for that reason

1968 Case 580CK

Xpac......Yep, that new seat that Dad26 got definately falls under the BarcoLounger title......maybe add a nice sheepskin cushion and that beer holder that Xpac was speaking of, and you got yourself a Custom BarcoLounger.

Good idea with those wrench slits on the bumper, and beautiful new grill you made!

dad2six

I cut and welded the seat platform from the steep angle it was on to flat and mounted up the seat. Fits me good (I'm 6' 4") And it can still swivel around and lock in the forward and back positions.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
D26, Looking good. Now you just need to follow 68cases example to clean and paint a bit at a time to perfection, or xpacks and completely dismantle the whole tractor and repaint everything almost at once. :cool2 Or, what I'm doing, which is not a heck of a lot right now....:bash Good work on the grill and seat. My grill is cut our of some scrap grid decking similar to yours and I think is a common retrofit. The mod to the bumper is interesting, I guess it was too difficult to reach in from the top with a wrench to hold the nuts.:confused: My seat mounting is the stock setup like xpacks, with the slider height adjustment. Yours may have been modified or be a later version. It makes that new seat look like stock. In the picture, I noticed you also have the common front end loader options, a repaired right frame lift arm and the leaky lift cylinder. Are you needing to do only gland and rod packings or is your rod scored? I have had several cylinders rebuilt, with a new stainless rod, tube honed and all new packings. Like new, but costly...:Banghead

We'll be interested in finding out why the diff and trans oil doesn't equalize between the sections. May be sludge from the water plugging it or someones modification. These old machines have had a few masters and not all were as generous with maintenance as some of the guys on here. If I get my engine out of here in the next day, I'll pull the covers on mine for comparison pictures.

Thanks for posting up the pictures

onemank6

Heck ya d26 that seat looks good on there and you arent letting no grass grow under your feet getting her together.......Heres something i had done to mine when i first got it because of the sun beating down on me on a 80* day i put one of those big umbrellas on it to keep the sun and rain off i got a few looks out of it with it on there but i didnt care ...it worked good for that.I made it removable and after having a branch come threw it while pushing over a tree... thankfully it missed me.... i would take it off when i had to put down a tree so i could see up the tree and know what was going on...That was when i knew i wanted a rops but the umbrella is great and cheap to keep the sun from boiling you....
heres some pics
187.jpg
225.jpg
heres where the branch came threw
226.jpg

diver

Occupation
retired
d26 if all else fails drink enough of that operators fluid until it looks like they are even hahhaha

On the shuttle oil i bought the hy trans from tractor supply at about $35.00 for a 5 gallon bucket when i first did the rebuild on mine and with it being cold out it had to warm up some before it would move and because i wanted to know how much difference the case brand oil would make to this i went and bought the hy trans from case at about $100.00 for 5 gallons and mine will move as soon as you start it now in cold weather so the oil does make a difference..I always warm mine up before using it ....except during this little test.....And the shuttle only requires something like 16 qts .....and the rearend being around 17 qts of the 80-90 the rear end i am using the tractor supply stuff.....

By the way does your seem to move ok or does it seem sluggish just curious ???????????

would a older case 430 with a mechanical shuttle use 80-90 in rear also. I have no problem shifting but just curious. My shuttle trans has the same hole to the rear end. Must admit im confused is 80-90 threw out the diff, trans and shuttle?
thanks diver

Grady

would a older case 430 with a mechanical shuttle use 80-90 in rear also. I have no problem shifting but just curious. My shuttle trans has the same hole to the rear end. Must admit im confused is 80-90 threw out the diff, trans and shuttle?
thanks diver

Diver, I've got no experience with the 430s but I'm pretty sure it's the 80/90 in all three if you have the manual shuttle. It's easy to tell what you have in there now by the smell. Hypoid gear lube has a distinct smell. Only the power shuttles need the hy-trans because it's much thinner - more like ATF. You can't pump that 90 wt. esp. when it's cold.

diver

Occupation
retired
Diver, I've got no experience with the 430s but I'm pretty sure it's the 80/90 in all three if you have the manual shuttle. It's easy to tell what you have in there now by the smell. Hypoid gear lube has a distinct smell. Only the power shuttles need the hy-trans because it's much thinner - more like ATF. You can't pump that 90 wt. esp. when it's cold.

heck i have been putting in tractor supplys transmission fluid. I will change that out this spring to all 80-90. thanks so much
Diver

onemank6

Hey Grady/Diver hows that weather your way we got 63* right now i dont know if its here to stay but we have lost 98% of the white stuff....keeping my fingers crossed.....