1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK rear differential way overfull why?

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by dad2six, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Juskatla

Juskatla Senior Member

Retired
    As the pumpguy said, Tractorstuff, 800-428-8183

Shims that I got, $13.25, $13.25 and $17.00. Brake Band complete band replacement kit $50.00 each side. Disc and drum linings both sides $65. Balls, $3ea, etc. Side gear seal $15, O ring, carrier, $3

I am on the west coast of Canada and had a few shipments from Dale. All went USPS and even with Customs, they were at my door in 5 or 6 days. Would be a lot less in the US. When you order form someone like Dale, you can call and get advice and will actually get the right part sent. Dale stands behind his stuff and it can be returned if there is an issue. He has a large used parts supply for Case equipment and would probably have the bearing carrier. The cracking is not uncommon and has been mentioned on this forum in other threads.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Juskatla

Juskatla Senior Member

Retired
    Just my opinion, but looking at you shims, I'd be getting all new ones ready to install as they will fit correctly and keep your adjustments the same. You can make then, but time, material and correct fit add up. Notice the drain hole that is well covered in a post by 68 Case on here in a previous post of his. Do a bit of reading in your service manual on the installation of the shims, seals and o ring on the bearing carrier. Also be sure to wrap the splines and that nasty groove on the side gear so that you don't damage the seal going back in. I did mine a couple of times without the o ring or seal to be sure I had the process down. Take your time and you'll be fine.

3. dad2six

dad2six Well-Known Member

The shims I showed I did replace. With one I made. Took me all of 5 min
    I have used Dale for many parts. Great guy. I did order the brake rod dust boots from him for this repair. As well as a WIX oil filter figured had better change the oil after the rollover.
    I bought a 19.00 toaster oven form Walmart and "baked" the brakes. Even after I had cleaned them very well with brake cleaner it was surprising how much oil came out when I baked them. (350 Deg f for about 1hr did the trick).
    Got it all back together, Checked the backlash with my magnetic base dial indicator and adjusted the brakes.
    The electrical tape over the splines and groove was a great tip! Made installation a snap.
    She stops now!
    Back to work
    Still need to figure out the no charging situation.

4. dad2six

Back to making some rock walls.

Attached Files:

5. dad2six

Hey guys my 580ck 188 has started sputtering at higher rpms. Any ideas?

Starts and runs great. 1500 rpm (running the backhoe digging holes) runs great. 2000 rpm under load (going uphill or driving in 3rd gear) it starts sputtering. Did this all day yesterday. But when I had to refuel after I filled her up it was back to running good. Then a while later it was back to sputtering. Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    Don't run it at hi rpms.. lol
    But seriously, its probably some floaters in the tank.. {supply restriction}
    & when u call for more fuel, it gets sucked in the supply tube..
    "let off the gas" & it floats off..
    Getcha a real brite lite & when the fuel gets low, take a look..
    I noticed u didn't say anything about changing the fuel filters..??
    It'll be REAL CHEAP insurance.. & the best 20.00 you'll spend all week..

7. dad2six

Thanks I will check into that. I did change the filters about two years ago. Probably worth it to do again tho

8. dad2six

Can I clean the tank while it’s in place? And if so what to I remove the petcock?