• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 450 3056051

mcprp

It's nice to read of a good outcome. Thanks for letting us know !
Sooo, what took place that resolved all the problems ?
Pistons in the wrong holes ?
What was the mistake you mentioned ?
Working the dozer in muddy conditions! Four flushes , two transmission pumps , on and on . Mud got into the system . Terrible! Thankfully the transmission and torque converter survived.

mcprp

The pistons have two different part numbers. I would not think they are interchangeable.
Somehow someone may have possibly replaced one of the pistons with the wrong one.
The pressure valve should not be that difficult to put back together.
Is the piston going all the way to the top of the bore without resistance ?
Look carefully in the bore for anything that shouldn't be there with the piston out. The bore be could be damaged.
Tinkerer , I have another question . How warm should the transmission pump get when running . I have a heat lazer Gun and I’m reading about 180 . I can hold my hand on it but only for a minute . I didn’t think that it was even supposed to be that warm but then I thought , it’s going through the radiator and that waters 180 so maybe that’s normal . Do you know the answer . Sorry but it’s got me perinoid !

mcprp

You are fine at that temp, mcprp.
Ok , I got a couple questions . First , I have a slow drip coming from where the driveshaft spline goes into the transmission . The funny part is , it’s not coming from the seal . Honest to god ! It’s dripping from the universal joint and off the spline . I just don’t get it . No oil around the outer part of the seal . Any input ? Second . Why does my torque converter over heat after just one hour of operating the dozer . Could it be that I just need a new pressure plate or anything else inside the converter or do you think I need a new or rebuilt converter . Just wondering if anyone knows or could give me a good guess !

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
On your leak you need to check what grease you are using it could be thinning out and leaking out of splines.
On your over heating you might want to check the cooler by pass valve and make sure it's closed off to allow oil to flow through cooler.

mcprp

On your leak you need to check what grease you are using it could be thinning out and leaking out of splines.
On your over heating you might want to check the cooler by pass valve and make sure it's closed off to allow oil to flow through cooler.
Ok , first what grease ? I know that might sound stupid but where does the grease and the splines have to do with each other ? I don’t even know about a grease fitting on or near the drive shaft . Lol , maybe I should ! But my transmission fluid is red and thats what color it is . I’m going to look at it closer tomorrow . As far as the bypass valve , can you tell me where that’s located because I have had issues with the oil not going through the cooler and could never figure out why . I can tell when it stops because my pump gets hot and the torque converter pressure drops .

mcprp

Ok , first what grease ? I know that might sound stupid but where does the grease and the splines have to do with each other ? I don’t even know about a grease fitting on or near the drive shaft . Lol , maybe I should ! But my transmission fluid is red and thats what color it is . I’m going to look at it closer tomorrow . As far as the bypass valve , can you tell me where that’s located because I have had issues with the oil not going through the cooler and could never figure out why . I can tell when it stops because my pump gets hot and the torque converter pressure drops .
Boy I wish I knew someone like you to show me this stuff . Sometimes it’s so hard to understand or explain something texting . I keep putting off bringing it to a case equipment shop because they charge outrageously . I guess if I had just done it from day one I would be ahead of the game . Lol ,

mcprp

I guess it could be leaking where the spine pushes through the rubber seal but it just seems odd that its not dripping straight down so it would show on the outer part of the seal . It just drips off the universal joint . Like it follows the spline till it reaches the universal joint and then drips . Lol

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
There should be a grease fitting on the side of the drive shaft to grease the splines because believe it or not that shaft flexes as you run the machine and it also helps when you have to remove it.
One thing about this old iron never say you've seen it all lol.

mcprp

Rebuilt torque replaced flex plate it started with low pressure but would go into gear after a few seconds it seemed that when the problem started was going up hill
I noticed in your post , you said you recently rebuilt your torque converter . These pictures are the pistons for the pressure regulator and relief valves . I got the mixed up . Can you tell me which is which ? Notice the bigger grooved notch at the top of one piston . .

mcprp

Can anyone that has a case 450 measure their transmission dipstick and tell me what it is from the end to the bottom of the rubber stopper ? Sure would appreciate it !

mcprp

I look back on all my previous posts and I feel stupid knowing everything I know now . Still learning every day but sure appreciate all your responses . Just always wished that the service manual was made for the average guy and explained things in greater detail .

mcprp

My oil pressure always seemed a bit low to me . It would start out at 40 psi but once warmed up it would drop to 20-25 psi . I read the service manual and it says oil pressure on the diesel should be 60-75 . I took my oil pump out and looked it over . Everything looked perfect but the manual said that I shouldn’t be able to fit more than .005 thousands between the gear and housing . I could just fit .006 in there so I changed the oil pump , plus the o-ring was so dried out , it was like rock . Put the new pump in and Bam ! 60-75 psi . The manual should have given those same detail for the charge pump so there’s no guessing ! Just one example . Got all new bottom rollers on it and the finishing touch will be a new ( used hour meter ) since mine doesn’t work so I can keep track of all maintenance on schedule .