• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845c purchase?

bonvie99

Hi, My first time on this site and really find it helpful. I'm looking at an 1845c, brown top with 3700 hours, good tires and overall clean. The seller is firm at $10,800. The only issues I found is one of the chain covers is slightly cracked, and when I lifted the seat I found what looked like an hydraulic leak - bad seal? Anyhow, the machine runs and operates great, but with these two issues is $10,800 still a fair price? He also has a Case 430, 2600hrs., real clean unit but worn tires for $12,000, but I like the 1845c better because it seems easier to see out of in tight spaces, like a barn.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I had a brown top 1845c for 20+ years. Cracked chain case covers are no big deal, it's kind of a common issues when the covers get old or if they are over tightened.
If the leak is on top of the tandem pump, it's probably a drive spool seal, they are easy to replace, also not a big deal.
As for the price, if it's a good running and everything works, then it's worth the price. The only ones I've seen for less than 10k were beat to crap.
1845c is a great machine, easy to work on, cheap to fix. You really can't go wrong with one.

Can't speak much to the Case 430. The 'series 3' ones had better cabs than the earlier one.
I believe they are also decent machines, again condition and how its been maintained are the big factors.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
That seems like a good price on the 1845C. I preferred the Grey top machines given a choice, but nothing wrong with the Brown tops. I just much preferred the one piece lap bar. The 430 is a good machine, more lift, hyd flow/psi and hp than the 1845C. All of that may not matter, depending on what your going to do with it. The 430 will have sensors you may have to deal with, but I liked the control handles better on the 400 series than the 1800 series, and they are quieter to run. Sounds like two good options if they were taken care of as it sounds they are.

bonvie99

I had a brown top 1845c for 20+ years. Cracked chain case covers are no big deal, it's kind of a common issues when the covers get old or if they are over tightened.
If the leak is on top of the tandem pump, it's probably a drive spool seal, they are easy to replace, also not a big deal.
As for the price, if it's a good running and everything works, then it's worth the price. The only ones I've seen for less than 10k were beat to crap.
1845c is a great machine, easy to work on, cheap to fix. You really can't go wrong with one.

Can't speak much to the Case 430. The 'series 3' ones had better cabs than the earlier one.
I believe they are also decent machines, again condition and how its been maintained are the big factors.
Thanks for the info. A bad seal isn't a deal breaker. One more question - The machine would be used primarily for moving high moisture round bales, weigh around 1200-1400 lbs. Can an 1845c handle that weight, and are they stable enough to carry a bale downhill? The 1845 seems to have a bit more ground clearance than other skidloaders, like NH.

bonvie99

That seems like a good price on the 1845C. I preferred the Grey top machines given a choice, but nothing wrong with the Brown tops. I just much preferred the one piece lap bar. The 430 is a good machine, more lift, hyd flow/psi and hp than the 1845C. All of that may not matter, depending on what your going to do with it. The 430 will have sensors you may have to deal with, but I liked the control handles better on the 400 series than the 1800 series, and they are quieter to run. Sounds like two good options if they were taken care of as it sounds they are.
I have to admit, the extra power and lift from the 430 for $1200 more than the 1845 is tempting. The 430 was repainted, so it makes me a little cautious if anything is being hidden under the paint.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The ROC on the 1845C was 1750 it was rated at 56 hp. ROC on the 430 was 2000 cant remember exact hp but around 70 I believe. Not huge difference between the two in ROC but 250 pounds is 250 pounds. The wheel base is shorter on the 1845C than a NH LS180 for example. I doubt there is much difference in actually clearance, but being a shorter wheel base it appears so. The shorter wheel base is less likely to get hung up, but not as stable carrying down hill like a NH would be.

ThreeCW

We had a 2002 New Holland LS160 (1600 lb rated lift capacity) and used it for handling 66" diameter x 5 ft wide round bales weighing between 1200 to 1350 lbs without too many problems. We had some bigger bales, about 1500 lbs and found you had to be real careful in moving and loading those bales as with the bigger bales it got to be pretty tippy. Going down hill adds some additional risk for sure ... you will be want to be carrying your bale as low as possible and avoid stopping too quick ... or even backing down a hill if it is too steep (not a great option for sure).
We now have a 2006 CAT 242B with a rated lift of 2000 lbs and I really notice the extra load capacity when moving bales ... especially the 1500 lb ones.
My advice is to err on the side of caution and get the larger capacity skid steer if your are going to be using it for moving bales.
Keep in mind that if you are using a bale spear attachment ... it will weight in at least 200 lbs. If you are using a bucket with a clamp in spear ... it will weigh even more and put the weight out further in front of you, which will reduce your lift capacity even more.

Last edited:

bad Tom

Something else to think about, add weights to the rear to help with the big bales. I made a set of weights for my 420. I made 10 weights at 30 lbs each and add as many as I need. 300 pounds on the rear equal 600 pounds in the bucket.

ThreeCW

300 pounds on the rear equal 600 pounds in the bucket.
Most skid steer manufacturers quote much lower Rated Operating Capacity (ROC) increases with their counterweight packages ... typically adding counterweights increase the ROC by 100 to 150 lbs ... but it could be more for heavier lift machines. What I have found hard to determine is how much counter weight is added to get that extra 100 to 150 lbs of ROC ... the weight of the counterweights don't seem to be published (even when I search my 242B parts manual CD).
Here is an interesting discussion on counterweights:
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/counterweights-on-cat-259d-weight-ratings.79990/

bad Tom

ThreeCW, that's true. Your dealer can tell you what the shipping weight is per weight. And looking at the pictures they show only 2 or 3 weights are on each side. Some brands of skid steers do not have any more hydraulic power to raise heavier loads so they don't need counter weights. My loader has a two to one ratio of distance between the center line of the front wheel to the rear of the machine and the bucket. I don't know how much it could lift if the back end was chained down.

jacobd

I'm late to the party but having owned a black cab 1845c and a series one 430 I would absolutely spend the extra $1200 for the 430. Both are great machines but the 430 is newer, faster, stronger, more durable, and is slightly more comfortable to operate.
Actually just buy them both lol.

Jeepwalker

If you haven't bought a skid steer yet, I would get the larger one. I have an 1845C and it's a great machine, but its going to be a challenge to move bales that size, esp downhill.