• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1840 hydraulic pump upgrade.

Skidud

Occupation
Maintenance
Does anyone know if I can swap my 1840's hydraulic pump for a 40XT or even a 60XT or 75XT hydraulic pump? They all have a 7/8" 13 spline shaft. The 1840 puts out 15 gpm, the 40XT flows 19 gpm, and the 60/75XT pumps out 21 gpm. The biggest concern I have is the increase in relief pressure from 2300 psi to 3000 psi. My current pump works fine, EXCEPTwhen running an open front brush cutter, which is one of my main reasons for wanting a skid steer. The lack of flow, and moreover the low relief pressure cause it to stall out WAY too soon. The motor doesn't know there is even a load, and the hydraulics go into relief. I have the same Cummins 4b motor that the donor loaders have, so horsepower is not an issue. My main concern is overpressurizing my hydraulic system. I gather that my drive system is seperate, and shouldn`t be affected by such a swap. Anybody have experience with this?

jacobd

Relief pressure is set by the relief valve so swapping the pump won't change that. Although it would increase possible flow. I would try to find technical information about the rest of the components in the system to see if they will stand up to a pressure and flow increase. Most (all) of the parts will be made by someone other than Case (Eaton, Danfoss, Rexroth, Parker, ect) so it's a matter of finding part #'s and looking up technical literature. They are probably spec'd to go higher but keep in mind doing so will put more stress on the rest of the machine (like the frame and driveline) so be gentle with it cause it won't know it's own strength anymore.
I realize it's not very helpful but I would seriously consider just getting a bigger machine. I'm sure that will be cheaper and much less hassle than trying to artificially increase the capabilities of the one you've got.

Skidud

Occupation
Maintenance
Actually Jacob, your post is quite helpful. I hadn't thought about the relief valve being a seperate component, so that simplifies that issue greatly. I will still need to verify that the other parts of the system aren't size restricted to slow the 5 gpm increase in flow. I'd think they would be fine, but I hate to assume anything. I can try to find out their pressure ratings while I'm at it as well.

I really won't consider a newer machine. I don't want electric contols, won't consider foot contols, and can't see spending thousands of dollars more to "upgrade" if a $600 pump is all that is needed to cure my one and only complaint. I'm pretty much set on keeping my 1840, regardless of whether an upgrade can be achieved.

Unfortunately, the relief pressure was the first thing I checked. 2300 psi on the dot, so no adjustment to be made there.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Hopefully someone has, or has attempted to do a pump upgrade, and can confirm whether it will work.