• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cars you owned

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
You're gonna need a bigger motor than a 302 to outrun then revenuers.....unless it's been taken out of a TransAm car and it's got two 4 barrels and a cross ram intake!!

td25c

You're gonna need a bigger motor than a 302 to outrun then revenuers.....

That's what I thought at first ..... But today the revenuers are to busy on the smart phones & face book . Just drive rite past them & wave .:D

td25c

Long story on the car ..... We bought it last summer from original owner . Car was parked for 35 years in a garage . Got it running again & really like it .

Have a ford 460 motor & c6 transmission in stock .

Pretty impressed buy the 302 after the 35 year nap .. Starts & runs great !

No smoke or oil use . 210 horsepower & 300 torque .

Looking pretty hard at the supercharger kits for a 302 .

https://www.holley.com/products/superchargers/supercharger/parts/77-174FSB-1

td25c

You're gonna need a bigger motor than a 302 to outrun then revenuers.....unless it's been taken out of a TransAm car and it's got two 4 barrels and a cross ram intake!!

That would make for a wild ride with the TransAm motor !

Those engines make crazy horsepower for the cubic inch .

Glad you chimed in on this thread with your racing experience Junkyard .

Like the idea of a belt driven intake manifold for the 68 Ford . Want to keep RPM's under 5,000 for the most part .

If a feller was to install a Roots blower on top of a slightly worn 302 .....

Would it then become an 8 - V 38 ? :D

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Those true 302" TransAm motors have a very unique sound. Partially because some run 180 degree headers but mostly because they're turning dang near 10,000 rpm! Those were the glory days of TA. Parnelli Jones etc. Acid dipped bodies to reduce weight, a couple HP per cubic inch etc etc.

When we were vintage road racing I saw some true TA cars from that era. The AMC Javelins were the $hit. Edlebrock had a car the Yunick built. Only TA car Smokey ever built. Man things just aren't the same.

Maybe I need to edit some in car video from the Yarborough NASCAR and throw it up. I loved driving that boat. I had a edge in that it was so big you couldn't get around it!

td25c

Maybe I need to edit some in car video from the Yarborough NASCAR and throw it up. I loved driving that boat. I had a edge in that it was so big you couldn't get around it!

That would be pretty cool ! Would really enjoy that view from the camera . Like you say big cars are hard to get around .

td25c

Those true 302" TransAm motors have a very unique sound. Partially because some run 180 degree headers but mostly because they're turning dang near 10,000 rpm!

Like driving a chainsaw engine .:)

I better keep the RPM's a little lower on my ride .:D

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That would be pretty cool ! Would really enjoy that view from the camera . Like you say big cars are hard to get around .

I'll do that. I've got footage from our local little track, Hallett as well as the road course at Indy, maybe some Circuit of the Americas and Sebring. Have a cool video of me spinning out in the rain, even have the footage from the car behind me lol.

When those little 302's go by WFO it shake the wax out of your ears!

td25c

When those little 302's go by WFO it shake the wax out of your ears!

Only thing that spooks a big block car is when they come up against a short strung small block with the rite gears.:D

327 Chevy
302 Ford
340 Mopar

Keep an eye on them fellers ...:)

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I have a soft spot for a 327. The last few cars I built were NASCAR so it was all 358" stuff. Although the last one we did was a class the didn't check displacement so it may or may not have a 421" SB2.....

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sweet engines, I so miss the simple to build engine days. I also miss Carter Carburetor for the AFB, Holley cornered the market but an AFB set up right lasted seemingly FOREVER!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm the same way Junkyard . Factory built L79 327 under the hood was quite a fire cracker at 350 horse power & 360 torque for the cubic inch .:cool:

http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucs-0732-chevy-l79-engine/

My dads all time favorite car was his 67 corvette. 300 HP 327 and a 4 speed. The way he talks about it you'd think I'd was running on nitro and had a 14-71 on top of it!

Of all the cars I cared for when we raced which included cars David bought and sold was a Biscayne he had. 427, 4 speed and 4.56 gears. 11,000 original miles a 1/4 at a time :). Back seat big enough for all five of my kids!

IMG_6054.JPG

td25c

Love the Chevy Biscayne Junkyard ! With the engine & gear ratio would be a car to be reckoned with .:cool:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Love the Chevy Biscayne Junkyard ! With the engine & gear ratio would be a car to be reckoned with .:cool:

It'll darn sure go! Whoa....yeah not so much. It was shipped with a 4.89 gear. At some point it was changed to 4.56. I'd love to have it. It's a badass land yacht for sure!

td25c

My dads all time favorite car was his 67 corvette. 300 HP 327 and a 4 speed. The way he talks about it you'd think I'd was running on nitro and had a 14-71 on top of it!

My Old Man is the same ... His favorite was a 62 Chevy with 327 .

Those engines really put out for the cubic inch rite out of the factory .

Still run a small block 350 in the 1966 Chevy C-60 dump truck .

Great power , reliable and they look cool .:D