• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cars you owned

td25c

The Detroit God's smiled on our project .

Drive kit showed up & got it installed . Got to give a big shout out to Blower Drive Service in Brea California !

http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/tech-info.html

The drive kit fit our application perfectly and they sent all the hardware in the kit . :cool:

Class act company .

We fired the old Ford up and let it warm . So far only adjustment made was had to back off the idle screws about 1/4 turn on both carbs to slow the idle down a little .

No burps or sputters , she starts up quick & throttles nice !100_4298.JPG 100_4300.JPG 100_4299.JPG

Might cruise in to town tomorrow evening :)

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The Detroit God's smiled on our project .

Drive kit showed up & got it installed . Got to give a big shout out to Blower Drive Service in Brea California !

http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/tech-info.html

The drive kit fit our application perfectly and they sent all the hardware in the kit . :cool:

Class act company .

We fired the old Ford up and let it warm . So far only adjustment made was had to back off the idle screws about 1/4 turn on both carbs to slow the idle down a little .

No burps or sputters , she starts up quick & throttles nice !View attachment 181568 View attachment 181569 View attachment 181570

Might cruise in to town tomorrow evening :)

Dude Watson comes through again. :cool:

td25c

LOL! Now Dude went over budget a little on this job but we won't hold that against him .Pretty happy with it .:)

I was amazed the dive kit all fit & no extra parts left in the box from Blower Drive Service . Not allot of room between the fan belt & radiator area for the 3 " blower belt .... It all fit up great !

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
LOL! Now Dude went over budget a little on this job but we won't hold that against him .Pretty happy with it .:)

I was amazed the dive kit all fit & no extra parts left in the box from Blower Drive Service . Not allot of room between the fan belt & radiator area for the 3 " blower belt .... It all fit up great !

We will be looking for a track report soon. Get some good tires.

td25c

So far we put about 100 miles on the Ford 302 with 6-71 on top .

Got it tuned in pretty close ....

Ignition timing set a 18 initial & 32 degrees total with the vacuum advance @ 3,000 rpm .

Seeing a little more " boost " then I like . 5 pounds at 3,500 rpm . Pulley ratio is at 11% under drive now so will order a bigger top drive pulley & try 20% .

How much power ? Best I can describe it is the 302 small block is acting like a 390 big block with a 4 barrel carb . Car busts the tires loose easy even with the 2.80 rear ratio .

Starts great .... Don't pump the carb just crank the engine .

Fat low end torque rite off 650 rpm idle . Romp it and she's rite there ready to go .:)

15 miles per gallon . Original two barrel carb got 18 .

That was our goal with the engine on the project .

Keep in mind we never touched anything under the intake manifold , never even pulled the valve covers off . Still running a Y pipe & single exaust without a muffler and original spark plugs and points in the distributor .

Just bolted the 6-71 on top of a stock 1968 302 two barrel carb engine with 117,000 miles on it .

Budget build blower cost was $ 2,700.00 including the twin carbs & oil change on the 302 .

Pretty happy with it .:D

Last edited:

walkerv

So far we put about 100 miles on the Ford 302 with 6-71 on top .

Got it tuned in pretty close ....

Ignition timing set a 18 initial & 32 degrees total with the vacuum advance @ 3,000 rpm .

Seeing a little more " boost " then I like . 5 pounds at 3,500 rpm . Pulley ratio is at 11% under drive now so will order a bigger top drive pulley & try 20% .

How much power ? Best I can describe it is the 302 small block is acting like a 390 big block with a 4 barrel carb . Car busts the tires loose easy even with the 2.80 rear ratio .

Starts great .... Don't pump the carb just crank the engine .

Fat low end torque rite off 650 rpm idle . Romp it and she's rite there ready to go .:)

15 miles per gallon . Original two barrel carb got 18 .

That was our goal with the engine on the project .

Keep in mind we never touched anything under the intake manifold , never even pulled the valve covers off . Still running a Y pipe & single exaust without a muffler and original spark plugs and points in the distributor .

Just bolted the 6-71 on top of a stock 1968 302 two barrel carb engine with 117,000 miles on it .

Budget build blower cost was $ 2,700.00 including the twin carbs & oil change on the 302 .

Pretty happy with it .:D
Ok i got the general idea on the budget blower why are the rotors pinned to the shafts,

td25c

Ok i got the general idea on the budget blower why are the rotors pinned to the shafts,

The splined steel drive shaft is pressed in about 4 inches in the aluminum rotor & held buy 1 pin from the Detroit / GM factory .

Detroit Diesel blowers build between 2 to 4 pounds of boost all day long for what they was built for .

When converting one over to a gas engine common practice to " triple pin " the shafts on each rotor for higher boost pressure .

The tolerance between the rotors is really tight . If the pin on the drive shaft was to shear or even slip a little the blower rotors would eat themselves as they are timed .

One thing I noticed is you can smell the rubber off the belt when ya get on it . :)

Or was that the tires ? :D

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You did open the tolerances on the blower lobes when setting them didn't you? IIRC the DD setting was as close as .0015? weren't the gas engine set ups around .010 - .015?

td25c

You did open the tolerances on the blower lobes when setting them didn't you? IIRC the DD setting was as close as .0015? weren't the gas engine set ups around .010 - .015?

Very good points DMiller ! Truly amazing how snug these mass produced rascals are and they still work . Heck , the blower may be older then the car for all I know .

A true testament to the quality of machining at the GM plant years ago .:cool:

I did not open anything up on the blower but spent some time on the rotor & case tolerance .

On converting from Detroit Diesel to the gas you pull the rotor assembly and go " end for end " with it in the housing to get the drive gears to the front .

The 8 bolt pattern on the blower housing is not symmetrical so it will only mount one direction .

Where we did run into some trouble was the rotors were actually striking the bottom of the blower housing . Would turn fine but could feel them hitting the case .

Keep in mind the whole thing is still on the work bench so was easy make any modifications before bolting in on the 302 .

Ended up over sizing the dowel pins so I could " tap around " on the front & rear bearing plates while lightly bolted up to get the rotors centered in the case .

We ended up with .006 of an inch top and bottom clearance and called it good .

Used a narrow piece of common notebook paper folded once to measure it with . It's rite at .006 :D

Also installed steel sleeves on the corners of the plywood spacer plate so the bolts could have a " crush point " without mashing the plywood .

The steel sleeves are made an old Small cam Cummins injector push tube . LOL ! :D100_4256.JPG

BDS drive spline hub mounted to the Detroit gear train .
100_4294.JPG

The Cats & Chicks know there stuff at Blower Drive Service .
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/index.php
I was skeptical on the drive kit fitting up with the V belts with the power steering & alternator but it all fit up just like they said it would .:cool:100_4296.JPG

Last edited:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Well this probably puts me at the bottom of the pool here but this was one of my favorites over the years:
View attachment 175778
Yep, a 1966 Corvair 140 horse Corsa.

A couple stories connected with this one.

First is this car replaced my 1964 Plymouth Savoy, yea the bottom of the price list model with the old slant six and three on the column. Problem with the Plymouth was older brother borrowed it to go pick up his stuff from college one weekend. He was a little tired and stopped for a nap on his way home. "Woke up" after short nap at started on his way again. Note the "guotes" around the words woke up! Next thing he remembered is seeing a truck shoot by on his right going the opposite direction. That was close he thought! Next problem is that truck was pulling a flat bed trailer. Not a good thing for a little Plymouth.

Unfortunately there were some fatalities in the accident as duly noted in the police report, yes the poor fish in the aquarium riding in the back seat did not make it. They did get a little revenge on brother as they threw the aquarium at his back leaving an inch and half cut! Almost for got to mention the Plymouth did manage to bend the axle on the flat bead!

Well in need of a car I went to the Chevy dealer in the next torn and came home with the above Corvair. It served me well for maybe a year then the brother, you know the fish killer I mentioned above, decided to get married. While I was driving this Corvair from the wedding Church to the Reception an old guy in a big Buick decides to run a stop sign just as I got to the intersection. T-boned him right behind the drivers door at about 30-35 mph! Spun both cars close to 180º.

Need I say that was the end of little silver Corvair? Fortunately all three of us in the car only had some fairly minor cuts or bruises and after being check out a hospital, which as luck would have it was only 1/4 miles away, we all managed to get to the reception it time to see two of my cousins get it to a fight that mom put a quick stop to.

I think funwithfuel's daughter and my mom would have been good friends!
I had two 66 Corvairs. Mine were not 140 HP!
Mine were Monzas