• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cars you owned

kenh

Nice, which engine.
I had a 66 Olds 4-4-2 Tri-power, 4 spd.
70. Camero.
Presently a Taurus SHO, twin turbo (2010)
The others 4wd trucks, Bronco, Blazer.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
So many I could not begin to list them all. I have had 23 vehicles that I would consider my primary "daily drivers" in the 51 years I have owned cars. However, my favorites were : 1969 Mustang Mach I. 1966 GTO, 1969 Chevy Blazer, and a 1974 1/2 Dodge Ramcharger.
I have also owned around 40 vehicles that were toys/hobbies/projects, and another 20 vehicles I used in my company operations.
I guess you can say I am a "car guy".

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
My pet was a '68 Chevelle SS396 with a Muncie 4 spd. Had the 375 HP solid lifter engine. That actually sucked because after a weekend of racing, you had to set valves.

Truck Shop

Nice, which engine.
I had a 66 Olds 4-4-2 Tri-power, 4 spd.
70. Camero.
Presently a Taurus SHO, twin turbo (2010)
The others 4wd trucks, Bronco, Blazer.

The GT was a model and the white GTA was a 390 also. The red GTA was a Saturday night special, 428 built to 427 specs with a manual C-6 even at the time it was well over 500 hp.
With a 850 three barrel fuel didn't last long.

Others I owned.

2-1963 1/2 fast back Galaxy's- one 390 the other a 406 4sp
2-1956 short box Ford pickups
1-70 Olds HO 455 4sp - a pile
1-64 Olds Cutlass convertible
1-65 Impala 327
1-84 Dodge short box 4x4
1-67 Plymouth GTX 440 auto

My current and only use for trips-07 Nissan 350, fun highway car.

Truck Shop

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
One day I hope to have a cool car. Have owned a pickup truck from every one of the Big 3 though. Thinking I'd like an '88 IROC Z or a '91 454SS as my first project vehicle (after the W900 RV hauler is finished)

JPV

Tractor guy, would love to see your crew cab cummins build, my baby is a 84 GMC 4×4 with a 94 12 valve that I swapped in. 5 speed nv4500, gear vendor overdrive with 4.11 gears and an exhaust brake. I plan on keeping it forever.14405.jpeg

kenh

Besides the SHO I have a 1990 Bronco, 5.8, limited slip diffs fore and aft.
80K miles.
F-350 PSD 4wd, 110 hp tumer, large exhaust. 2o001 56K miles
In the olden days a 1950 Ford, bored, Windfield cam, Edelbrock heads, 3 Stromberg 97's
Also a few chevy's
JPV, good looking truck!

Reactions: JPV

Hobbytime

My pet was a '68 Chevelle SS396 with a Muncie 4 spd. Had the 375 HP solid lifter engine. That actually sucked because after a weekend of racing, you had to set valves.
I had a 1968 chevelle, started life with a 307, upgraded to a 350 with a turbo 400 and 12 bolt posi rear...restored it once and then during the 2nd resto, just got too busy with life and sold it off....now im looking for another to rebuild and keep...

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
IMG_04461.jpg I had an 05 ram , put a quarter million on her. Swapped the tired ass 4.7 for a hemi after I gave it to my daughter. She put another 12k only to get T-boned by a semi with my wife.
That truck gave its life to save my family.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've had a few fun street cars but most of my toys were road race. In high school I had a 75 280Z with the diesel crank in it which make it a full 3.0 liter. Triple Webbers, header, truck 5 speed etc. It was a salty little sucker. Any stock or mildly modified 5.0 mustang or Z28 saw nothin but taillights from it.

I have the 94 Mustang GT my dad bought new, 63k miles. Had a Subaru WRX, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Still have my first vehicle, 72 Chevy Cheyenne Super. It's had many motors over the years from mild to wild. It's patiently waiting in the pasture for another lease on life. Had many dodge cummins from 12v up to the CR 6.7.

Race cars are another story. I've owned or driven 33 Plymouth (made laps at Indy in it), 59 Kellison J5, 64 Vette, Mckee CanAm car (by far the scariest I've driven), 68 Vette (won at Miami Homestead in it), 77 Olds Nascar (verified legit Cale Yarborough car, won a few class races in it here and there), Datsun 510, 65 Mustang, 63/64 Falcon, Cobra Kit car (loads of fun!) The list is long as I raced/built/prepped for a friend so I had a lot of fun for several years.

I have an Ernie Irvan NASCAR that will hit the track someday. Damn college tuition sure makes the racing budget tight. Did I say tight? How about nonexistent! Haha

I'm too cheap to buy pics from the local road course so I always screen snap the proofs. Here's the Yarborough car at Hallett a few years ago doing some testing. If you'll look closely the right front is off the ground. I had fresh slicks and a good track that day so I was drivin like I stole it! It still has the Hurst period correct brakes on it. We had some modern pads made but they still don't hold a candle to anything current! If you start close to the front on a tight track you might get lucky and keep a position or two because that Olds is so big they can't get around it! :cool:

IMG_5534.PNG

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Out of 50 or more my two favorites were a 1970 Plum Crazy purple Dodge Dart Swinger with the 340 and 4 speed. It's picture is on the old iron forum in some job scraper pictures from about 1972. The other was a 1969 Chevelle with a built 396 with a 4 speed. With 4-56 gears and 7" wrinkle wall slicks it would lift the front wheels in the lower three gears. It had a side view of a blonds head painted on each front fender with her hair streaming all the way back to the quarter panels turning into flames as it went across the doors. Sold it to a friend that totaled it street racing. Sure wish I still had a picture to post but they disappeared over the years.

Edit: Also had a Plum Crazy purple 1969 Corvette Sting Ray convertible with twin Holly's, roller cam, nitrous oxide, and a bunch of other goodys on a built 350 in it. When done we scheduled a appraisal meeting with our insurance rep to get it properly insured. We drove to Bismarck the night before and stayed at a Holiday Inn with a enclosed parking lot. Next morning the car was gone. Yup, we got screwed and lost 2 years of time and about $12,000 on that one. They did eventually bust the ring and found a few pieces that helped put them away. Manly the dual carb linkage that I built and the firewall section. I had repaired the firewall that had been fire damaged in a engine fire before we bought it. I put my initials in the fiberglass in 8" letters swirling them in the glass just for kicks. Was not noticeable unless you knew to look. Had pictures of both. 8 prosecuted and only one got more than time served. About 3 months because they couldn't make bail. The one got a year, 4 more months with time served and good behavior. They figure they stole over 30 hot cars. OK, Long time ago, rant over.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

A pic of my brother in-law Sonny Earhardt standing with his bosses. Sonny was quite a mechanic, he passed away some years back from agent orange.
Sonny had quite a life with the racing end of things and many stories to tell.

Truck Shop

IMG_NEW.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
A pic of my brother in-law Sonny Earhardt standing with his bosses. Sonny was quite a mechanic, he passed away some years back from agent orange.
Sonny had quite a life with the racing end of things and many stories to tell.

Truck Shop

That's cool, I've met a lot of old school guys doing the vintage racing. Cale, Bobby Allison, Bobby Unser, Gene Felton, Willie T Ribbs, Ernie Elliot etc. Some are awesome and one particular feller was kind of a dick.....but he's a motor building mofo!

Here's my grandpa's cousin. Cotton Henning, crew chief for 1939 and 1940 Indy 500 winning car driven by Wilbur Shaw.

IMG_4764.JPG IMG_5373.JPG

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Thats no woman, she's my daughter. She'll cuss and scrap like any guy. It's real fun to watch. She loved that truck. She went after the driver immediately after the accident. If it wasn't for a trooper on the spot, it could've gotten interesting.
That's pretty cool. Its a rarity to see women who are in to cars (at least from my experience anyways).