• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Calif. Smog, Big Brother's Plan, It's Comming

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
Another industry shut down by regulations.

Oh yes now motorcycles contain lead, so can't sell to kids, another industry shut down. The Washington, DC court of fools!
Now they have destroyed part of the motorcycle industry! Go to any motorcycle dealer's website and you will probably see a notice on their main page about this. The dealers have been forced to take all motorcycles and ATVs that are "youth models" off their showroom floors. How is this helping our economy? Does anyone remember the "Luxury Tax?" Back in the 80's I think. Nearly destroyed the pleasure boat industry.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-02-16-motorcycleban_N.htm

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/5/238...Ban-Stops-Youth-ATV-and-Motorcycle-Sales.aspx

I do not like this, CHANGE!

DarrylMueller

Occupation
California just doubled the registration fees

This won't help truckers, and everyone else that buys a registration it's wrong. I don't know the date it will take affect but I need to pay $1600.00 real quick before it turn into $3200.00 hope it's not retro-active. Is it possible the fees will be more than the iron is worth soon?
Three rino's caved in on the budget this is the result.

JDOFMEMI

Gets more discouraging owning a business each day I read the paper.

What hairbrained plan will they come up with next. I guess I will have to non op all my trucks. Not enough work to pay the plates. Then you have to turn down the rare job that comes up on a short notice, because you have no plates

We were told there would be CHANGE, and it seems there is. If there is much more CHANGE like this, there won't be any small businesses left.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Dirt haulers shortage on the way, No $ for license!

I can see a real shortage of trucks coming up. 1. most guys are not going to by new trucks in 2011 they are going to quit. 2. A lot will not pay the new registration fees, $3800.00 for 18 wheeler.
I think there will be some kind of program to pay for all of this if you are a minoriety because this is more important than keep established and trained people working. We are to be left out in the cold to fend for ourselves. This is what Washington Policy makers think! This information is to keep you informed and to write and object, congress & senate. These people have never had a real job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opxuUj6vFa4

tootalltimmy

A cartoon in good fun. I think that they need to look at the overall picture. Governments tend to bring in laws that cost greatly and accomplish next to nothing.

Attachments

• cartoon.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 572

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
one of the problems with cleaning up the air is that many countries including china dont do anything about it. our government is going to bring in a carbon emission tax, they are going to exempt many industries because if they have to spend big money buying carbon credits they will be uncompetitive and those jobs will go to countries that manufacture without any emission controls, it is a complex issue with no easy answers.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
AGCO Takes the LEAP with, "SCR"

Selective Catalytic Reduction Technology. This just keeps getting better all the time. For you that don't know AGCO makes farm tractors for themselves AGCO , CAT Challenger, Massey Ferguson, Fendt are just a few brands. Anyway here is what they are going to use to meet Tier 3 and maybe Tier 4. The technology was introduced in 2007 in Germany 2008 in Finland. SCR uses a urea based product called DEF for diesel emission fluid. They use 3 gallons for each 100 of diesel and have a 8 gallon tank for the DEF product, along with a diesel tank. Tractors can be tuned for power and get a complete burn with less particulate matter, the NOx is then reduced with SCR. This will be in the 270 to 350 hp. 8.4L 6 cyl. AGCO Sisu engine 1200-1500 rpm. with a 54% tork bulge, and will use 15% less fuel. Its in March Diesel Progress Mag.
Yes it's complicated and full of electrical junk and you know how un-reliable that is. We all need to keep up on the latest technology even if we can't afford it.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
This is old news, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it somewhere here on the Board. This system will be used in the majority of diesel trucks beginning in 2010, including pickups and other light trucks. While this might be improving air quality, in my mind it presents another environmental risk, a highly corrosive liquid will become a commonly used item in our transportation system. Soon nearly every truck will have up to 8 gallons of this liquid strapped to its frame rail. What hazard does this present in the event of an accident and ruptured tank?

Bulk delivery trucks will need to transport this fluid to stations selling diesel, presenting another accident hazard or risk of spill while transferring the liquid. What impact will this have on the environment? There's also risk of spill in just filling your vehicle.

It is estimated this system will add $2000 to $3000 to the cost of a vehicle, not a big percentage of a heavy truck or machine, but a pretty good chunk of the cost of a light or medium truck, or small machine. It is said these engines will actually reduce the amount of NOx in the air, in other words the exhaust will have less NOx than the air going in to the engine. In other words, the engines become air scrubbers of a sort.

From what I've read, IH is the only company who will not use this system, they claim to meet the 2010 requirements in another manner.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I would sure like to read the article but evertime it starts to load up the application quits.

Perhaps a thread on the new technology from some engine people would be appropriate here.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
John, you have to allow pop ups from this site for the window to open. If you can't get that to work, right click on the link and "Copy Shortcut" then paste it as the URL address at the top of the screen.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Thanks Steve,

I got it to open long enough to read the article but if I move around at all on the site the application drops. I tried going directly into the site also. I'm wondering if I have to sign up for the site.

Anyway it is an interesting article. From my point of view I haven't seen anything good happening with exhaust gas recirculation. Even so the idea of having to treat diesel engines like old two stroke motorcycles with an oil tank I find really aggravating.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Alway the same, and it appears international ,the smaller operations being hit the hardest and the fact that it being done retrospectively is of great concern. I don't agree with erg systems and as for the SCR , well! if you forget to fill the urea, most of the new wagons here shut down to a get home safely mode .Also I am told that water in the system will allow it to work as per-normal but someone else will have to confirm that as I am not involved in the trucking business.

Stock

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Is the EPA chasing Alice's white rabbit?

I ran into some real interesting info that has hard facts that shows the USA is not the problem and would like to share this link, maybe you readers can forward this to the rule maker?
Is the carbon dioxide that humans exhale a public danger? Yes, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
The EPA has released an endangerment finding on carbon dioxide. The finding will allow the gas to be regulated under the Clean Air Act, something the Act was not intended to do when it was enacted over 30 years ago.
Real good information here!

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Politics/Default.aspx?id=468158

http://www.instituteforenergyresear...and-trade-harms-the-economy-and-reduces-jobs/

All this cost to the USA and outlawing of productive equipment with no real impact to improve the environment. Tea Party 4/15/09

sasquatchman

Am I right in understanding that if you have a non-compliant diesel machine you cannot operate it (or only operate it for very restricted periods of time) after a certain date?

Would this not force thousands of contractors to dump equipment onto the used market in other states, thus driving down the price of used equipment in an already depressed market?

This doesn't sound like the kind of legislation you want to enact in the middle of a recession/depression but then again most legislators don't seem to actually give a damn about the state of the economy these days.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Thank You! The Light goes on. I know this is hard to think that they can do this and enforce it. But yes you cannot add equipment that does not comply to the tier, and it must be sold out of state. I am in the last group to have to register by law all equipment by August 09. And I can have limited use untill 2015. If I buy a like 2000 model the fine is $50.00 per hp. But I am real glad they did not do this in '05 when thing were better. This my wake up some. I can tell you that there will is going to be a real big shortage here. I can tell you trucks will be sitting too, $4000 for plates that is if you have a truck that is not outlawed? They have really done it big time here in CA. I can bet at least 50% of the owners have no idea what is going on. No notices or anything about these laws so they could pass them. I tried to get the union involved they were only concerned about the PM filter blocking the vision. We are now waiting for the other shoe to drop. Think of it now, look at the cost and all the regs. someone will need to go into business. This is as unAmerican as it gets. This is real bad for small business!

sasquatchman

Little wonder that the California economy is on the verge of collapse.

As someone who geographically very far from California, I wonder what I will have to pay for California's emission standards.

First of all, a lot of our winter produce comes out of California. Consumers will pay for those standards dearly at various times of the year.

Secondly, diesel engine manufacturers have a dilemma: they probably can't profitably build one type of engine just for the California market and one type for everyone else. They will likely produce one model that conforms to California emissions and force everyone else to buy it whether they need it or not.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
A larger contractor today called me today reguarding work and we got on CARB topic and he said they have sold off a lot of equipment to conform to the new law. I asked him if he thought the state could enforce this, and he told me they got a $850.00 fine for not having a CARB sticker on a air compressor. I hope someone takes it into court on Constitutional Law, and they should hurry before any more court appointments!

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
The real kicker to all of this in California is that this state is already in a financial crisis. The cost to enforce these new laws has been calculated at 9 billion dollars. The state will have to start giving out heavy fines just to be able to fund the enforcement of this program. This has to be the stupidest state in the nation. Every day there is something new that boogles the mind.
My dump truck is good for two more years, and my equipment is good for a few years past that. After that, I don't know what I will do. Staying in this state doesn't seem too likely.