• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Build or Buy....???

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
How long has that property been sitting vacant? Your offer is likely the only movement they have had.

lantraxco

Nice shop for your needs-------------but one thing that people do that ruins a shop, and that one has it but it can be removed. Building a room within a shop space-add that crap onto the outside of the building.
It's a total waste of shop floor space. But that's what happens when pinching pennies.
That's exactly right, never really thought about it, but given the available land, which this building has, definitely add onto the back end there for storage, office, lunchroom, whatever.

lantraxco

Yes, good job! 30 minutes away is just right in my view, close enough you *can* get there pretty quick if there's a good reason, but far enough you won't just idly run over there just to "See how things are going", it's a common affliction. I foresee an inexpensive alarm system with 24/7 monitoring and maybe a drive by security service as well. OR if you have enough shop work, run two or three man swing and grave shifts, does wonders for cutting down invasion by the tweakers and sneakers.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Absolutely correct! I have a baaaaad habit of not leaving work alone.
X2 on the security system and I may put up a watchman also.

lantraxco

You never really know how much "stuff" you have, until you try to fit it all into a new property.

Of course Lanway's "Law of expanding stuff" TM states that: "The amount of stuff you possess will automatically and nearly instantaneously expand to fill whatever amount of new storage space you add."

Lanway''s Law of flat surfaces: "Any object in a shop environment possessing a flat top will instantaneously be covered with stuff, even if there are no people in sight, nor any stuff presently available. Removing stuff from the flat surface will be observed to have had no effect upon returning to it."

Last one,
Lanway's Law of open containers: "Any object forming, by way of an upwards facing opening, an open container is assumed to be a garbage receptacle and will moments after being placed in a shop be found to have somehow received bits of waste and trash, examples are barrels, buckets, pickup beds, engine blocks, hoe buckets, etc."

ianjoub

I didn't read this whole thread...

I purchased a 36' x 84' 'pole barn' kit with 14' walls. It came with poles, trusses, metal roof, metal siding, screws, and trim. It was $21k delivered in pieces. I was quoted $5k to erect it, but chose to do it myself.

https://www.usabetterbarns.com/

Welder Dave

Surprised your pole shed is only 14' walls. Having a 5 ton overhead crane spanning the entire shop is the probably the greatest asset of the shop Hallback made the deal on. Multiple doors and heavy power is another asset.

skyking1

You never really know how much "stuff" you have, until you try to fit it all into a new property.

Of course Lanway's "Law of expanding stuff" TM states that: "The amount of stuff you possess will automatically and nearly instantaneously expand to fill whatever amount of new storage space you add."

Lanway''s Law of flat surfaces: "Any object in a shop environment possessing a flat top will instantaneously be covered with stuff, even if there are no people in sight, nor any stuff presently available. Removing stuff from the flat surface will be observed to have had no effect upon returning to it."

Last one,
Lanway's Law of open containers: "Any object forming, by way of an upwards facing opening, an open container is assumed to be a garbage receptacle and will moments after being placed in a shop be found to have somehow received bits of waste and trash, examples are barrels, buckets, pickup beds, engine blocks, hoe buckets, etc."
My family describes the middle one with having HSD. Horizontal Surface Disease.