• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Build or Buy....???

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
T&R Got bit by the Alaska bug. They were lured up there by SEAlaska with a large advance and have been hurting ever since. Riedesel is back down here now working for RCD timber and Steve Tobin is still up there trying to make a go of it but its not sounding good from all of the guys that have come back. I have one of their shovel operators now.

That is a good setup for what you want, no idea on what the best thing to do is!
Not to change the subject but what happened to Tobin and Redeisel, seems like they have been out of there for a while and I haven't seen anything of them since.

Truck Shop

My only thought when it comes to buying a shop and property---Is the ground clean? No buried tanks, No contamination. the property has a clean bill of health. Because old shops and past businesses
have a tendency to hide things like that, banks and loan sharks usually want to know. But once buried and conveniently covered up who is the wiser. It does happen.

petepilot

My only thought when it comes to buying a shop and property---Is the ground clean? No buried tanks, No contamination. the property has a clean bill of health. Because old shops and past businesses
have a tendency to hide things like that, banks and loan sharks usually want to know. But once buried and conveniently covered up who is the wiser. It does happen.
good point it also pays to feel out the local govt, find out just how anti business they are

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

That's what a Phase 1 Environmental report is for. Pretty much any commercial lender will require one. Basically it's a review of deeds, tax records, business licenses, property maps, arial photos, etc of the subject property and the surrounding parcels.

If something raises a flag like an oil company, gas station or dry cleaner was located on the site or next door it goes to a Phase 2 which is more involved, usually drilling the site and testing the soil.

I've had many PH 1's and 2's conducted over the years. Haven't had one done in over 10 years but back then a PH 1 ran $1,000-1500 and PH 2 varied from $3,000 - 10,000 depending on scope.

Truck Shop

A lot here in town that has a Starbucks on it, went through the phase 1. Two years later another business was going in on the property next door which had to go through the phase 1.
They found a 10,000 gallon buried tank that was half on the Starbuck lot. It still had some stove in it and was leaking. Person who owned it years ago----long dead, property sat in limbo
for years after he died-taxes.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
A lot here in town that has a Starbucks on it, went through the phase 1. Two years later another business was going in on the property next door which had to go through the phase 1.
They found a 10,000 gallon buried tank that was half on the Starbuck lot. It still had some stove in it and was leaking. Person who owned it years ago----long dead, property sat in limbo
for years after he died-taxes.

That's a really bad environmental company.. I bet their errors and omissions insurance policy wasn't very happy.o_O

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
No clue on the Phase 1.
My offer was a three year lease with early option to purchase if desired. Purchase dependant on Phase 1 environmental check clearing, the wash rack epa permit being renewed and 85% of lease proceeds going towards purchase price.

crane operator

Hope it works for you, it certainly looks like a nice facility. With the lease going to the purchase price it certainly takes some of the risk out of it.

I'm assuming the sales price of the property is locked in with the lease amount, and not just a "understood" "estimated" amount?

Tugger2

Congratulations .You will have some fun Sundays standing around figuring out where your going to put stuff.Looks like a really nice facility,i wouldnt think you would replace it for those numbers. Your proposal was very interesting, ive done similar with equipment ,but never thought of it for land . Look forward to pictures when you get some iron in there .

JPV

That's great, glad to hear it worked out. I might try to drop in some time and say hi although I don't get through there much anymore since we quit working for Hancock up there.