• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucket Cylinder removal

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
Update and a question...

I did end up at AIS and they were able to get the bolt out. They had to heat the bolt head and use the big two-handed impact gun. There was quite a lot of thread locker on it.

Piston Bolt cropped.png

I do have a question on replacing a couple of the rings on the piston. The kit I bought from Reliable Aftermarket Parts did not include the two black seals (I guess that's what they are) that are on either side of the yellow seal, (which came in the kit) in the center. The question is are those two black "seals" supposed to be replaced? They got a little scuffed in the removal process.

Thanks
R

Seal question.png

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Happy times! Glad you got it cracked loose!

The black pieces you pointed out are often called bearings or guides. They are used to keep the piston square in the bore. They are oftentimes not available separate from the piston itself on NH machines. They do not seal so if they got a little roughed up, no big deal. Make sure there isn't any metal imbedded in them, they are smooth, and clean, and reuse them.

If you are going back to have the piston bolt reinstalled, carefully wrap the piston to protect it. It is not ok if the seal in the middle gets banged up at all.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Happy times! Glad you got it cracked loose!

The black pieces you pointed out are often called bearings or guides. They are used to keep the piston square in the bore. They are oftentimes not available separate from the piston itself on NH machines. They do not seal so if they got a little roughed up, no big deal. Make sure there isn't any metal imbedded in them, they are smooth, and clean, and reuse them.

If you are going back to have the piston bolt reinstalled, carefully wrap the piston to protect it. It is not ok if the seal in the middle gets banged up at all.

Dang...unbelievable.
You sir are a God send.
I just finished posting a ticket with Reliable and I return here to find the answer to all my questions.

Bless you.
R

rumblecloud

Occupation
Success! Cylinder is back on and not leaking - so far :D
One last question:
What is the secret for installing these:

C-Clips.jpg

What a total PIA they are. I tried pretty much all the tricks I have and ran out of daylight.

Thank you all again.
R

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I have 2 different pairs. This one is the best, in my opinion. The lower right hand pic shows the little dimple in the face. The ends of the lock ring go in the dimple.

Regardless, you are correct, these locks are a pain in the....
238-2385384_donkey-kick-png-donkey-kick-clip-art-transparent.png

s-l1600.jpg

rumblecloud

Occupation
It was quite a learning experience. And I was able to do it without any help -- except for AIS.
But now that I know how they did it -- using heat -- I may be able to handle the next one on my own.

Cylinder rods are heavy :p

I'm currently shopping for snap ring pliers (thanks for the tip) and different style snap rings...hah!

joe--h

But now that I know how they did it -- using heat

See post #2 back when you started.

Heat and long bars are you friend.

Congratulations, it wasn't rocket science after all, was it?

Joe H

rumblecloud

Occupation
@Joe H
I do remember.

Their (AIS) equipment might be a little more sophisticated and they probably brought more heat than I can, but I am persistent.

I do have to pay my respects to AIS though. They quoted me a price of $180 for an hours worth of their time. But when I went to pick it up, they waved me out with no charge. I did however go back to the tech guy who did the work and gave him $20.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Success! Cylinder is back on and not leaking - so far :D
One last question:
What is the secret for installing these:

View attachment 291311

What a total PIA they are. I tried pretty much all the tricks I have and ran out of daylight.

Thank you all again.
R

I have the same spreader pliers that Swetz has for these type c-clips but I have sometimes started one end and taped it into the groove by following around it with a hammer or punch.

Where are these used on your machine? My bucket cylinder pins have flat covers that prevent a pin from falling out.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
My bucket pins are made different. They have a flat groove about a quarter inch wide a metal band fits in. Under the band is a hole a loose fitting pin is in and the band prevents the pin from falling out.bucket-pin.jpg

Last edited:

rumblecloud

Occupation
Hmmm...sounds like a tractor-style clevis pin.

Better design and much easier to remove and install.