• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucket Cylinder removal

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
Was able free up the gland nut today in between rain storms. I have to tell you all I was getting a bit discouraged. I won't go into the details cuz you have all been there already. I didn't completely remove it as I didn't have time to complete the entire job, but I accomplished what I set out to do.

The 36 inch pipe wrench and 8-foot equalizer were what I finally succeeded with.

And Swetz, you'll appreciate this --- the BFH is what did the trick! I peened it as you suggested - hard - and it finally gave up. I used a black Sharpie to mark the podition and I got it to move about an inch. Enough to know I can loosen it all the way when I get the time. I'll post more pics when I finally finish the job.

bucket cylinder gland nut.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. The piston nut is the next odstacle..

joe--h

Something you might want to do to avoid nicking the rod is wrap some cardboard and duck tape to it. If (when) that pipe wrench slips off you'll be glad you did.

Forgot about that in my first explanation.

Joe H

And congratulations, it's downhill from here. Well, sorta. It's still a miserable job but you're on the way.

Welder Dave

Quincy are generally considered the cream of the crop of compressors. I was looking at some at Peavey Mart (farm store) and I think they said 20,000 hours life expectancy! Of course this would be for regular use and not steady sandblasting or gouging at max. volume for hours on end.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Was able free up the gland nut today in between rain storms.
:):) You are half way there!

Something you might want to do to avoid nicking the rod is wrap some cardboard and duck tape to it.

Great advice!

Be careful that the pipe wrench is not grabbing the nut and the barrel at the same time. It will be snug all the way off, so don't think something is wrong.

As you stated, the next hurdle is the bolt holding the piston on...keep your equalizer handy :)

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Quincy are generally considered the cream of the crop of compressors. I was looking at some at Peavey Mart (farm store) and I think they said 20,000 hours life expectancy! Of course this would be for regular use and not steady sandblasting or gouging at max. volume for hours on end.

I think my Quincy had something about being rated for 20k hours on it too. I will prolly never test this fact tho...LOL

The old IR and the Quincy are very different. The IR has 2 large cylinders in a v configuration, and seems to run relatively slow. The Quincy is also a v style, but has 4 pistons, and seems to run fast. It may be a shade quieter too, although both let you know they are running.

My ultimate plan is that once I sell off my house in NJ, and move full time to PA, I will have both of them in PA. I will switch from 1 to the other for regular work, and run both when high volume is necessary.

The way they are both built, I figure my kids will get to use them after I am gone:D:D.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
And Swetz, you'll appreciate this --- the BFH is what did the trick! I peened it as you suggested - hard - and it finally gave up.

I was just thinking about this...

I want to make it clear that I did not invent the peening. I learned it many years ago from an old timer. Additionally, when I joined this forum people were already talking about the same approach. I don't want to take any credit for your success, others figured it out and I parroted it. That said, it usually does work if you are brave enough to hit hard enough. Many try, but do not whack the snot out of the barrel and often do not succeed.

joe--h

Somewhere there is a thread about it with 27 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is.

Can't find it search hates me today.

Joe H

rumblecloud

Occupation
Somewhere there is a thread about it with 27 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is.

Can't find it search hates me today.

Joe H
My search worked really well and I don't believe you did what I think you just did:

"And they was using up all kinds of Cop equipment that they had hanging around the police officer's station. They was taking plaster tire tracks, foot prints, dog smelling prints, and
They took twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles
And arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each
One was to be used as evidence against us."

Hahaha well played Mr. Joe H

Tinkerer

FWIW !

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I worked for a petroleum equipment company for a year in my younger days. Mostly rebuilding gas pumps but we were also a Quincy service center. I did a few valve jobs on them but never had to go into the bottom end of any. They were the only compressor I have seen with an oil pump and pressurized oiling like a engine.

We had a big one at my last place of employment that had been running the whole 3 story building and our shop for over 20 years and was still pumping when I retired.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Sorry it's been so long to respond to this, but the weather and honey-do lists have me pretty busy the last couple of weeks. Anyway finally had the time to pull the rod and get it to the bench. Next is to try and loosen the piston bolt. I'll try it on the bench first but more than likely I'll have to re-attach is to the bucket. I want to clean it up first and make sure I won't damage the rod. I was surprised that not a lot oil came out -- prolly cause it all leaked out.
Ended up using a 36 inch pipe wrench and the equalizer until it got loose enough for just the pipe wrench.

20230723_122951.jpg 20230723_163349.jpg

joe--h

Your bench sitting on those plastic sawhorses is never going to work. How the hell are you going to hold onto it?

Put it back on the machine where it can't move and have at it.

Joe H

cosmaar1

Your bench sitting on those plastic sawhorses is never going to work. How the hell are you going to hold onto it?

Joe H
Also make sure your table is really really clean. Don’t want any crap going in the tube or on the new seals.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I'll try it on the bench first but more than likely I'll have to re-attach is to the bucket.
I wouldnt waste the time on the bench, unless it is strong and has a big vise on it. One of the keys to cracking the bolt is that the rod doesnt move every time you apply torque. Put it back with its origional pin and give it a whirl.

rumblecloud

Occupation

Joe H
Ha...yes I know. That's my wife's painting bench. It was the only semi clear horizontal space available.

I wouldnt waste the time on the bench, unless it is strong and has a big vise on it. One of the keys to cracking the bolt is that the rod doesnt move every time you apply torque. Put it back with its origional pin and give it a whirl.
I kinda figured that --- but you're right. I'll just go back out and re-pin it. Hopefully I can get to this today sometime if it doesn't rain...again.

Thanks for all the input.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
When I did my crowd cylinder I had to order a socket to fit. I wouldn't touch it without the right size 6 point socket. I ended up taking mine to a dealer where they had enough air pressure to zap it out. The guy that loosened mine used the same 1 inch HF air gun I have.

rumblecloud

Occupation
When I did my crowd cylinder I had to order a socket to fit. I wouldn't touch it without the right size 6 point socket. I ended up taking mine to a dealer where they had enough air pressure to zap it out. The guy that loosened mine used the same 1 inch HF air gun I have.
Funny you posted this...I just came back from AutoZone with the biggest socket they had and it would not fit.

But you are right. Don't want to take a chance on f'ing the bolt head.

According to the book, this is the bolt: #82866944. I found a resource at AVS Parts that lists it as an M30 x 2 x 100mm, Cl 10.9. There is a stamping on the bolt head that reads TMZ 10.9.
I was just trying to find the size of the head to find the right size impact sockets. I don't know how that number translates to a size though. Suppose I could just use ruler :rolleyes:

At any rate I'm not gonna get to it tonight, so I'll do some more looking later.

Thanks again.
R

rumblecloud

Occupation
1-13/16th" but 45mm is close

20230725_163411.jpg

Took it to my son-in-law this evening. He does a lot of older JD tractor restorations. Has a good size compressor for that and his autobody trade/work. Not a 1-inch hose though and a standard size impact gun. Still I thought it was worth a try. No joy though.
Tomorrow we go to a company called AIS. They sell heavy construction equipment. Son-in-law knows a couple of the mechanics. Hopefully that will come through.
If not, then off to the cylinder shop.

Last edited: