• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Jim Backland , BCFP Caycuse Div. Couldn't quite make out last name Dick Hesley ? 1st picture Dick's last day on Cat , 2nd picture Dick's last blade full 3rd picture is Dick's last day on job , retiring after 44 years working at Caycucse . View attachment 167416 View attachment 167417 View attachment 167418 Dick on left , Jim Backland center .
Just got a call from Rob Norman , he tells me Dick Healy hired on at Caycuse April 6,1934 according to an old early 1960's seniority list he has . And spent a good many years Cat Logging .

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Hi Camptramp, what is happening in the last two photos, is the airplane dropping fire retardant or something like that, or have I got it backwards? Thanks for the daily photos, really enjoy. All the best.

camptramp

Occupation
Yes John , a Water Bomber is dropping Fire Retardant on a Fire . Just guessing , but it looks like a Beach or Campers Fire on a sand bar . Looks like Jim B. took the picture from a Crew Boat used to take the "Crew" from Town to an isolated Camp . Depending the distance it could be daily or at the start and finish of a 10 day at work and 4 day weekend . Referred to as a 10 and 4 shift .

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
10 & 4 at isolated camp sounds good to me, put me down for it if it happens again. :)

camptramp

Occupation
10 & 4 were fairly common shifts , but there were some 15 & 6 . Some camps worked 6 day's a week production , Sundays were used to service or repair equipment or take care of some rigging work (up ending Main lines or Haul back lines or notching Guy line Stumps for next setting) some of us worked 6 1/2 day's a week for 5 or more weeks then took a week to 10 day's off then returned to camp . Quite often a crew member would get to town and would call camp with an excuse to stay in town a couple of extra day's . The best one I heard was from a Hook Tender by the name of Wilf , he called camp to ask the Super if he could stay in town an extra couple of day's because his Brother in law had been bitten by a Dog .

dunwurken

10 & 4 at isolated camp sounds good to me, put me down for it if it happens again. :)
Not so much fun as it sounds when you where 19 and single with women to chase, booze to drink and fast cars to drive waiting for you back home. But you went because that's where the money was to do those things.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Ha, yes, I get you. Then again, mid 40's with cute wife and kids, take them and enough beers with you. Swap the fast car for a smooth running log loader. Sounds like where we are now, except the scenery is not so stunning and the towns and traffic getting closer everyday.