• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

dirty4fun

Great pictures of the excavator, checking how far down it was to solid ground. That much mud around it would of created a lot of suction to over come to pull the excavator out. That and throw in the steep angle it was sitting at to come up took some doing.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Jim Backland BCFP , Narrows Inlet . I believe this is also at Narrows Inlet , check the # out on this Pacific , I've never seen a number on a BCFP off highway logging truck higher than #6-264 in 1980 , there maybe numbers above #6-264 , but a jump up to #6-502 ? I did see a WHD Hayes at Nekite River Div. in 1975 that had a #50? that I assumed was an ex Catermolte Trethewy truck as there were other Machine's at Nekite R. with #50? numbers , a Madill yarder I ran started with #50? . scan222.jpg scan223.jpg scan224.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Interesting..Pictures are very nice and the paint on the truck looks good so I imagine they are'nt really old but the checkerplate running boards are before my time there.They may have been replaced.
I also notice a skid plate on the Allison..I installed a few but they weren't that common.I am sure the camps made a few of their own..

Some really nice pictures...

camptramp

Occupation
From what you can see, is that a Pacific P 16 frame . Why I ask is , could that be an ex Catermolte Trethwy Hayes that had the cab & water tank destroyed and was rebuilt by Pacific Truck in the mid 1970's after the high window cabs were introduced . Or a Pacific P 16 replacing a wrecked Hayes using the old number ?

diamondtguy

Occupation
It looks to be all Pacific to me but I have never actually looked at a HDX frame.I know the big windows came in around 77.Larry at Pacific tells me there are actually 3 sizes of windshields..
One of the first P-16's I remember is Blk Princes super truck.The pictures I have don't show it having checker plate running boards..But he would know for sure..
I certainly don't recognize the fab work on the top of the water tank.The mounts look Pacific but I believe we had one or two ex Hayes engineers and maybe draftsmen..
It could very well be a "camp" built truck or rebuild.

Is there a reason why they have the rain cap pointed into the wind ???I thought they went the other way ???

diamondtguy

Occupation
Ha Ha...good answer
Is the fold up tounge on the back of the low bed a push plate for the pusher truck ??

dirty4fun

The center fold up on the trailer I am pretty sure is for the push truck to push on when needed. As I remember when the ramp on one side or the other raises it lifts the push plate. Has to be quite a sight when they have a couple trucks pulling and one pushing, going up and around all the switch backs.

camptramp

Occupation
Yes , when the ramps are raised , the tong in the middle is raised so a push truck can pull up to and push . I spent a lot of time driving the push truck . Some guy's hated being in the push truck . In the Winter time there was lots of mud spray flying around , in the Summer the dust was so thick you could barely see loading ramps . the trick was to stay with truck bumper against the lowbeds push bar . if you got a couple of feet back from push bar and the lowbed driver braked , the push truck driver was going through the windshield . In the Summer time if you got a few feet back of the push bar , the push truck driver was blind in the cloud of dust , all you could do is come to a complete stop until the dust cleared , then catch the lowbed on the next hill . Tom Worth was the lowbed driver in Renfrew Div. , he was great to work with , he would let me use more power than he did until we got into hard up hill grades . When we started down hill grades and I felt him brake , I would back off . When we got off the hill he would let me build up power before he started pulling . That way I was always against the push bar . We use to make amazing time with a Madill or Cypress Grapple Yarder or Super Snorkel on board . The Hayes HDX's use to be a better push truck on switch backs than the P 16 Pacific's as the front fenders on the Pacific's stuck out so far , they could get hung up on the lowbed ramps on a tight corner .