• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat T190 Turbo problems

Fernest0

Hello everyone! First post to this site, all I have to say so far is there is a TON of knowledge on this site, and Im glad I found it!!!

Ill warn you all now, this is a long post. Im trying to put as much out there as I can that I have done/checked already.

First off, im working on a T190 on one of my side jobs. Owner of the machine said he overheated it, cracked the head and wanted it fixed. Machine had 2700 hours on it, maintenance was very minimal/poor. The tracks were out of adjustment so far that to start it, you had to have it in full speed, hold the left track forward and the right one back, put your code in, press start, then hurry up and hit the interlock because the pump was just SCREAMING!! Couldn't run it in anything besides full speed or it would just stall out.

I got the tracks adjusted thanks to a member on here(cant remember his name) and his wonderful in depth write up. Now that I was able to move the machine around, I got it in my garage to look at it. I did confirm that the head had a crack in it when I pressurized the coolant system and saw coolant coming out the the head on the left side and all out of the head gasket on the right side(vied from back of motor).

I also had him order a water pump, new drive belt cause it was shredded from the interlock always being on upon startup, filters, oil, coolant and a head and gasket. He was trying to save money, and I understand that, he bought a good ol Kumar Bros head and gasket set from Ebay....... Also 2/3 incorrect water pumps were also from ebay....... Third times the charm as it was correct.

Fast forward 2 1/2 weeks after all the parts come in. I got the Kumar Bros head, it had the valves and springs already installed, I swapped the turbo and manifold over, required studs, injectors, glow plugs etc. The head gasket it came with is the multi-piece metal one. Got everything back together today, fired it up, let it run, re-torqued the head bolts, went to drive it and it has no power going uphill and blows black smoke.

I checked the turbo compressor wheel, shaft, charge hose, air filter and intake, exhaust, and turbo actuator. Everything is good as far as I can tell. I put low pressure to the actuator and it moves freely. My dilemma is, how much charge pressure is the turbo supposed to put out? I can hold my hand over the output hose and theres air coming out, but its not real hard to stop it. I work on Mercedes Sprinters, Isuzus and some large trucks on a daily basis, and you could never do that with them, and yes I know the turbos on those are much bigger than on a T190.

I have the service manual, I cant find anything about checking the turbo. I wanted to get some input before I tell the guy he needs to go get a turbo now.

Thanks all for reading, and again I apologize for the long winded post but I wanted to get as much info out as I can for the best responses. THANK YOU!!