• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat T190 Engine help.

greenhead21

This is what I finally came up with for my machine. Took it to Bobcat and never took the injection pump off. They checked compression came back at 350 across the board, but starts good. Thinking the thickness of the new gasket could be the explanation behind it being a touch low but not out of spec. They check the aux controls to make sure one wasn't getting stuck on or slightly on drawing power from the engine, that checked fine. They check the brakes to see if they were catching or sticking, that checked fine. They checked the turbo, the checked fine. Checked valve clearance which was off some compared to the procedure they use. They explained that Kubota valve adjustment isn't a standard procedure from normal adjustment. Once valves were adjusted it still didn't run right. They pulled injectors and had them tested again they tested fine. They cracked the flange nut for the injection pump and found that the number 2 and 3 injectors were not getting the right about of fuel. the fuel was dripping out of the number 2 and trickling out of the number 3. 1 and 4 were spraying a good strong stream. Pulled the pump and replaced with one off another machine and it ran like it should. There is also a fuel supply screw that can be adjusted on the side of the injection pump. When you are looking at the injection pump from the back of the machine it would be on the left hand side of the pump. Low idle was low at 940 should be around 1100 to 1200 so they will adjust that up and the high idle was 2800 should be 2850 to 3000 so they will adjust that up. Now waiting on new pump to get here next week and should have it back by end of week about $2000 lighter. I asked about the universal head that I thought was maybe causing the issues. They said that tier 1 heads and pumps are no longer available. The new pump will be a tier 2 pump, but that tier 1,2,3 and heads are universal for certain engines example the v2003 and v2203. The only issue is when one would get into the tier 4 where the head has changed so they were not worried with the head that was installed. The had a concern with the gasket thickness, but noted that the compression would be the only real issue they would be worried about with it. They said sometimes they will see in the injection pump the plunger or the spring break. We do not have a place in ND that can rebuild these pumps so I was stuck with a new one at $923. Either way they seem to have got the machine back to working or at least the issue narrowed down for now. Will keep you posted if anything else comes up that could help.

Black71gp

Let us know how that goes. I already had my injection pump totally rebuilt by a local place. So who knows if something was missed or not. I'm about to sell off my machine. It needs some other work but not putting any money into it unless this can be figured out. It starts better other than today the glow plugs must have died cause the light just flashes and it doesn't try and activate them at all. So need to figure that out as well.

Bn127953

I have the same issue described in this post. I just did a Kumar Brothers USA head and now i am experiencing the haze of black smoke at idle and the heavy black smoke when operating the machine with both sticks forward, with a noticable loss of power. I have already gone through the injection pump. Any updates on what you guys ended up doing to solve the problem?

Theonlyrussell

I also just rebuilt my motor and installed a Kumar head. Now experiencing the exact problems. Hard starting with lots of white smoke and then low power with black smoke while working.
Anyone solve there problem? I have checked everything and have had no luck. My compression is all around 425psi

Theonlyrussell

One thing I did find. Is my turbo only puts out 7psi at high idle and max load. I plugged my wastegate and now getting 10-12psi underload. Black smoke is gone and runs like it use to with good power.
Does anyone know spec on this motors for boost pressure? I cannot find anything.

Theonlyrussell

Just to update this blog if anyone is reading and has recently bought a aftermarket cylinder head from Kumar bro’s. I have figured out the problem. After installing the head I had hard starting and low power. I removed the head and had a closer look. I found valves are counter sunk roughly .025 into the head in the kumar head. Where the stock head is flat. The counter sunk valves lowers the compression of the engine creating more CC’s in the chamber. The mouth from the prechamber is also cut wrong and does help atomize and burn the fuel completely. This causes the hard starting and low power.

DO NOT BUY A KUMAR BROS PRODUCT!