• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Big shocker yesterday

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I know India or Pakistan and many of the heritage Asian people are here in the US and working here. Have seen a few drivers at the grain depots picking up or delivering but yesterday saw one Full Turban wearing driving a YRC truck, Placarded for HAZMAT. I was under the impression had to be a Citizen be FBI vetted and Pass a severe written test for HM License, then as this guy got into a yard he got all afoul with his SINGLE trailer where he had to have someone else remedy the condition to move on, he could NOT back the rig.

Was at ADM St. Louis, another had left his truck on the grounds and was walking about where their safety man caught him No Hard Hat, the moron set the offered Hard Hat on top of his turban where he was explained to no value the hat needed to be ON his Head not his Hat and got banned from the site.

WHO licensed these morons? What test are they given that so many of us have issues passing? How is it they can barely speak English and still get licensed?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
AMEN..to that..
..shoulda called it in and asked.. raised hell..

its like my favorite show> COPS.. they get call out on a "domestic" & the drunk guy causing all the problems cant speak a lick of English, has no ID & they ask him if theres "someplace" he can go sleep it off for the nite.?? Um YEAH.. the Boarder Patrol Office.!!!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
AMEN..to that..
..shoulda called it in and asked.. raised hell..

its like my favorite show> COPS.. they get call out on a "domestic" & the drunk guy causing all the problems cant speak a lick of English, has no ID & they ask him if theres "someplace" he can go sleep it off for the nite.?? Um YEAH.. the Boarder Patrol Office.!!!

Yeah make that phone call in the PC police come and take you away.
That was the whole reason I switch from trucks too heavy equipment the likelihood of running into non-english-speaking individuals dropped drastically.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
and while we're on the subject the terrible accident that my wife and daughter were involved in last year was caused by one of those fellows who felt he did not need to wait to make a left hand turn against the light into traffic. Having said that you can count me as one of the many who have an intense dislike for those short of people

hosspuller

While the lack of skill, says newbie driver, A Sikh whose religion requires the turban, can be an American citizen. Naturalized or born here. I wonder about their religion that requires hair to be covered by Turban. Would not a hard hat do the same ?

Some religious practices are just incompatible with modern life … Beards and respirators for example... Face Veils and banking for another.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
In a city within our general area it is said there is the highest population of Sikhs outside of India.

A great many of them are into trucking and ag and for the most part, like many inter-generational cultures, they do well. They don't spend a lot of their money on fancied out trucks but they do usually own them or work for a small owner.

They don't usually make it up this far unless there is a big rock job with lots of trucks originating from down that way but I presume at least the old guys must be generally good enough drivers because they have been at it forever.

It has been in the news lately that some of their younger members have been out in public getting arrested for doing some things that are just unconscionable which I will not repeat here and a lot of petty bickering inside their community.

Maybe it is like that with their younger drivers, also.

I guess like any culture, come to America, work hard and pull yourself up by your boot straps, then watch your kids squander it away, I dunno.

I do know that the DMV tests and hoops are hard for me and I am generally a good test taker and have been involved in this stuff from an early age. I have no idea how somebody who is new to the country, the language, and trucking gets licensed. I do know there was some kickback stuff in the DMV going on here, but they made it seem very isolated, but somehow I wonder.

ianjoub

I guess like any culture, come to America, work hard and pull yourself up by your boot straps, then watch your kids squander it away, I dunno.
The consensus is it is the 3rd generation that is the problem. 1st gen works hard, makes a living, sends kids to college. 2nd gen has it fairly good and spoils the kids. 3rd gen is the spoiled kids who feel 'entitled' to everything that others work hard for.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Now I'm not sure where I fit in for this one.

To the best of my knowledge going by census records I have found my dad was the third generation on his side of the family so that would make him the entitled slacker too bad he has passed as I sure would not want to be the one to tell him that!

Now on my mom's side I guess I would be the third generation and I guess that makes me the slacker entitled kid! You mean I spent 45 years working in a stone quarry when I should have been cruising around in a Porsche picking up super models? Why did no one tell me this 50 years ago?;)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am the 'Middle Child' in the fourth generation so I shoulda been that slacker TOO but wasn't as well the 'Evil Azzhole child' which I believe I really WAS. Great Great Grands were "Bohemian" Not German nor Czech but Bohemian and I am as much one, Great Grandfather was USA born, as was Grandmother that side and then parents, so I am fourth, MAYBE fifth generation. Grandparents IN NO WAY slackers, Folks were IN NO WAY slackers both having lived thru the Depression years and WWII, Grand parents all the way back to Gr Gr Grands were farmers and road workers then oil industry workers so I do not see slackers there either. Guess I missed out on that damn Porsche or Jaguar as well.

Bohunk, whoda thunk!!

ianjoub

The consensus is it is the 3rd generation that is the problem. 1st gen works hard, makes a living, sends kids to college. 2nd gen has it fairly good and spoils the kids. 3rd gen is the spoiled kids who feel 'entitled' to everything that others work hard for.

I am the 'Middle Child' in the fourth generation so I shoulda been that slacker TOO but wasn't as well the 'Evil Azzhole child' which I believe I really WAS. Great Great Grands were "Bohemian" Not German nor Czech but Bohemian and I am as much one, Great Grandfather was USA born, as was Grandmother that side and then parents, so I am fourth, MAYBE fifth generation. Grandparents IN NO WAY slackers, Folks were IN NO WAY slackers both having lived thru the Depression years and WWII, Grand parents all the way back to Gr Gr Grands were farmers and road workers then oil industry workers so I do not see slackers there either. Guess I missed out on that damn Porsche or Jaguar as well.

Bohunk, whoda thunk!!

I am 4th gen as well. My mother may well have qualified for my post, so I am back to being a 1st gen WORKER.

Wes J

I'd count getting thrown out of ADM as a positive...

Drivers licensing is done at the state level, so it may be different in MO, but as far as I know, there's no requirement to speak, read, or write English to get a drivers license, or a commercial drivers license. Here in IL, I believe you can get the written test in English, Spanish, French, and Polish. I'm sure other languages are available, and I think you can also take the test orally (speaking) through a translator.

On that note, I've run into plenty of truck drivers of all ethnic backgrounds who were illiterate, or barely literate. They memorize the shapes of signs or something, but they can barely read or write.

Illinois has a waiting period if you fail. Three fails and you wait 90 days. Three more fails and you wait a year. They didn't make those rules because no one failed more than 6 times...

td25c

WHO licensed these morons?

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Don't know about much about CDL licenses anymore but there are plenty of immigrants working the ports in the northwest. From what I've seen the Sikhs are the quiet hard working group of the Muslim faith. There are some temples up here but you don't hear much from them.

The generation thing generally followed rich people who owned companies. I've seen several companies where that happened.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I think all religions other than Muslim have been persecuted by Muslims. I looked up the Sikh religion and see they originated on the Indian sub continent. They are not another sub unit of the Muslim faith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhism

The tenants outlined the explanation seem to explain why they are low profile and hard working.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
One interesting feature of their belief system is the Kirpan. It is a serious dagger carried on the belt in plain view and all the old men in the grocery store or wherever wear it. It is always to be worn in order to be able to defend the oppressed and defenseless.

You can imagine this does not meet with the approval of modern governments very well.

I have never heard of anybody getting into a drunken brawl or such in which the Kirpan was used inappropriately. But hopefully it makes some bad guys think twice.