• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

best grease?

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
semi retired and angus cattle farmer
I have excellent results with amsoil syn. Grease. Been useing it for almost 40 yrs and i,ve ran the same u-joints in semi trucks for 500,000 miles and they still showed no wear but i,am not afraid of a grease gun neather.
Bob

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I'm going to try something called Paragon 3000. Specs out really well, price is about what I'm used to paying.

I have been using Mobil 1 Moly. Doesn't seem very good to me. In heavy digging it liquifies and runs out of the pin. Never seen a grease go so watery.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
First impressions of the Paragon 3000. It's thick. Takes more effort to pump than the moly I was using. Time will tell.

crazy-mp

I have been running DOC fir about a year and a half now its leaps and bounds better than the MFA grease we were running before. Its a 5% grease, I have tried the CAT Desert gold before its good but $$$

BigChris

What are you using it for? Most of the time I look for the working temperature range, pour point, and the four ball ep tests. We use the same grease at our ready-mix plant for general application.

Rob Rodriguez

Need it for all purpose applications. The lithium complex grease is usually way out of my price range. its called sinopec high temp lithium complex, sold online by stryker lubricant distributors

bobbyoung

I have bought a pallet this grease in a 400lb drum size recently online and it works great. The red multipurpose drum sells for $550, probably the lowest priced grease in America, shipped to me fedex from new jersey

BigChris

Requested some grease samples for sinopec grease from stryker distributors, got this in the mail today.
photo.JPG

blitz138

Be cautious when looking at the Stryker pds info, all the testing is in "n" for newtons. 10 n = about 1 kg. [/SIZE]

BigChris

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
I have been using D-A Lubricants for 40 years and NEVER had any problems, I use D-A Moly 5 for all grease applications, it does not liquify, pound out or run great stuff.

http://www.dalube.com/

blitz138

So to compare apples to apples, how would I do a conversion to compare the ASTM D 2266 4 ball test? For example, if I wanted to compare Mobil and Sinopec.

MOBIL XHP 222

4-Ball Wear Test, ASTM D 2266, scar, mm (0.5)

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENGRSMOMobilgrease_XHP_220.aspx

SINOPEC EXTREME TEMPERATURE EP LITHIUM COMPLEX GREASE (HP-XT)

Four ball wear, 60 min @ 392 N, mm, ASTM D 2266 (0.44)

http://www.strykerdistributors.com/hp-xt-grease/page1

Ok for the ASTM D2266 this is a wear test, not an extreme pressure test. For this it doesn't matter newtons or kilograms, 392 N = 40 kg. They both use the ASTM D 2266 test.

Now for an extreme pressure test you use the 4-Ball Weld Load, ASTM D 2596 or the timken test (more for oils). In order for a grease to use the EP in their name it has to reach a 250kg on the 4 ball test. The stryker pds sheet doesnt not list the weld load, if they dont list it you know its nothing to brag about. They do list the timken but in newtons @ 178, that is 18 kg which is ok but we like to see it over 20.

This is a soso grease to use in lightly loaded bearings not heavy equipment.

blitz138

Saying they are both not for heavy bearings, which of the two would you say has the edge?

If those were my only choices Id pick Mobil. They are pretty similar greases from what I can see. Mobil has pretty good quality control, Sinopec is from China.... Ill admit to be being biased, Im not familiar with Sinopec but Im familiar with Chinese knockoffs that dont deliver what they promise. How is the Sinopec priced?

*edit*

Why did you chose the high temp grease? The mixers shouldnt be getting hot. Are you using these greases on kilns?