1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

best grease?

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by Canadian_digger, Nov 1, 2007.

1. BigChris

BigChris Member

Writing on my Chinese IPad…I have not problem with Chinese products, but I’ve always just used the Mobil 222 because it’s supposed to be good for just about everything and I don’t want to buy a lot of different greases. Should I be considering just a regular multi purpose?

2. Pyro4x4

Pyro4x4 Member

There have been a lot of good greases mentioned here. The best I can say is look to buy your grease from a company that specializes in lubrication. Not from a diesel supplier that has lubrication. Of course the names mentioned here could be ranked for quality but it all depends on the price of the product as well.

3. blitz138

blitz138 Senior Member

I agree somethings out of china work, but it certainly raises some flags. I wouldnt trust it on machines that mean your livelihood.

Id say a multipurpose EP grease.

4. frntlinetechsup

frntlinetechsup New Member

Global lubricant companies have the ability to produce some of the best greases. Companies that are fully integrated with an upstream, midstream, and downstream operations. China is certainly a player, http://www.avionics-intelligence.com/articles/2014/02/biofuel-china.html
    Shell's largest grease plant is being built in China, quality will not be issue.

5. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    frntlineteschsup what's your association with Stryker Distributors?:cool2

6. frntlinetechsup

frntlinetechsup New Member

7. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Please take a moment to read the Forum rules, specifically this section -

Since you are associated with Stryker Distributors, this is you "freebie".

8. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

My eyes crossed while reading this thread, so I just skipped to the end. I ended up with a case of Cat #2 EP with molly dropped off instead of what I regularly use in my grease guns. In my uneducated greasmanship, I compared the ratings etc., and they seemed the same as best I could tell. The only thing that seems weird is that this case of Cat brand grease is white in color. In the opinion of you educated greaseheads (a compliment, not an insult), since I ended up being told to just keep the case of grease, will it work fine in greasing the numerous grease points on my excavators, tractors and track loaders? I'm not into arguing what is better etc. I've been using the red Lucas Tuff Tac stuff for decades (because that's what I got with my first machine) and I've never had any issues. Heck, on my mowers my spindles show no measurable wear after 2000 hours which pleases the heck out of me. I really am asking if I can expect the same good qualities out of the white colored Caterpillar brand (yes, I'm aware that Cat doesn't make grease) grease tubes as I have the Lucas I've used forever?

9. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    What Part Number of Cat grease do you actually have ....?? From that number I can tell you what spec it is.

10. dixon700

dixon700 Well-Known Member

heavy truck mechanic
    I use Mobil delvac extreme grease or wally world high moly or tsc traveller's 3% moly grease. I've never had any issues.

11. twraska

twraska New Member

Blitz, can you please contact me, email in profile.
    Thanks,
    Tim

12. dixon700

dixon700 Well-Known Member

heavy truck mechanic
    Lately been using the travellers multi purpose hd lithium grease from tractor supply. Well the store made a mistake and I ended up getting 10 tubes for $1.89 before I could notify them of the mistake. So i figure for that price o can just throw the grease to her .