• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

At Least It's Not a Berco Undercarriage

dozerdave

I have never seen track pads ground off that short and still have such square shoulders on the outside edges.

QuickTrax

I have heard of it done but never had it done, in the KC area there is not anyone i know of that turns pins anymore, HeavyQuip used to do it and they quite. i have a 963C i would like to have turned if i was to find someplace that could do it, what should i pay for them to be turned? and should they automatically charge for nuts and bolts? and should i have my guys take the pads off to save money?(how much)

Pj

Powerjoke, The last time I gave a p&b turn or install price on here I had someone question me pretty hard but here we go. In the Houston area, the going labor for a smaller machine is around 900 to 960 for a p&b turn or install and this includes running a vacuum on the p&b. This doesn't include any parts that need to be replaced. We don't typically replace the hardware unless we are putting new chains onto a machine or selling track groups. This price is you bringing the tracks to us w/ the pads on. I do know that the going rate around the country is higher than this. I believe it is around 1200 but don't hold me to that. The reason it is lower in the Houston area is because we have multiple track shops here.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Special

Is there something I would have done to cause excessive wear? The tracks never looked to tight or loose.

The JD salesmans says that maybe I should upgrade to a 700. I dont know how a 700 would be that much better for what I do then the 650h Thoughts?

David

A timely sprocket change would have saved you some money on this deal I think. Your new sprockets will have flat spots between the teeth. When these flat spots are gone you need new sprockets. Running them over is what got your pins and bushings. No biggie, most of what I learned cost me some money to.

When I asked you to put the pics up I about half expected you to need sprockets and toe your pads. If you got a welder you could still toe your pads and save a little money MAYBE. Some say it's a waste of time and some people swear by it. It really just depends on your labor cost.

Here's some pics of a 450H that had sprockets and the pads toed at 3000 hours. BTW these pics were taken on the same job as the Trackhoe carrying out the broken track for my wide track D4H. :)

Attachments

• Picture 407.jpg
    Picture 407.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,910
  • Picture 408.jpg
    Picture 408.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,915

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
At Least It's Not a Berco Undercarriage:

I dont know what ratching means

"Ratchet", means your sprocket is turning, but not driving your track... kinda sounds like a ratchet wrench, only much louder... you'd probably know, if it was happening.
right now the right side after you go about 15-20 feet will make a clunk sound and it looks like the track gets real loose for a second. That repeats about every 15-20 feet.
That's called... "jumping a tooth, or, sometimes, jumping a cog".

The pitch to sprocket contact is so "out of whack", that the bushings start to "ride" up on the sprocket, and eventually "jump" one sprocket tooth...

When the track rides up on the teeth, it tightens the recoil spring, and when it jumps a tooth, the track loosens up for a second, while the spring retracts... that's what causes the bang.

Think of it as putting a new motorcycle chain on an old sprocket, or vice versa.

Did I get that some what right... track guys???

OCR... :)

Last edited:

greeniron

this question is going to make me sound stupid and dumb but here goes
is that the right pitch track for them sprockets ????
or is it the wear in them that make it look so far out of wack

JDOFMEMI

Its the wear making it look bad.

Those must be some of the worst conditions to run a tracked machine in. Wet sandy material like that in the pictures will act like a grinding compound on the working parts. I was surprised to see the rail height still up like it is, which makes me think the rollers are probably good as well. I would buy a new track group and sprockets then run it till it looks that way again, if thos were the conditions I was in.

Another note is to not run it quite so long next time, because when the track starts jumping over the teeth, it puts a lot of stress on the final drive gears, shortening the life of them.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The wear on those tracks are in line what I have been seeing for five years on Deere dozers. Usually they don't make 1,500 hours before they need a turn and in this area it doesn't pay to turn them. You don't save any money directly in a turn and you loose the down time getting it done. Getting 2,400 hours is exceptional life. I haven't looked at any Deere dozers in a long time that had anything but Berco tracks on them. I have heard and tend to believe until I see otherwise that Berco makes the tracks for Deere.

I agree with JDOFMEMI completely that wet sandy conditions puts exactly that type of wear on the bushings. I would also say that there is no way I'm ever going to stick any body parts under a dozer just being held up the the blade or ripper. If you are just checking for broken rollers we call them shakers and you will see evidence on them on the sides of the track chain. To find them all you have to do is reach under the rock guard and see if they move. If the bearings are broken there is no weight on them at all. They are never stuck with debris because they flop around so bad nothing will stay on them.

Do what everyone I know does, replace the sprockets and chains and go back to work.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I would also say that there is no way I'm ever going to stick any body parts under a dozer just being held up the the blade or ripper.

Thanks John. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one partial to having two working hands on the end of ones arms. :cool:

JDOFMEMI

Me too.

I might stick a bar under it, but I am partial to having all of my appendages in working order.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Got my hand caught between two pads when climbing down off the 15C last spring when I had the tracks spilt. Instead of just hopping off I climbed down and just as i set my tools down on the track the loose end moved over the front ideal and my hand slipped and ended up between the two pads. Even trying to be careful thing can happen VERY quickly. I had a shop foreman in North Carolina, when building stock cars that had a phrase bout thinking bout putting your hands in someplace.

Trbo

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Got my hand caught between two pads when climbing down off the 15C last spring when I had the tracks spilt. Instead of just hopping off I climbed down and just as i set my tools down on the track the loose end moved over the front ideal and my hand slipped and ended up between the two pads. Even trying to be careful thing can happen VERY quickly. I had a shop foreman in North Carolina, when building stock cars that had a phrase bout thinking bout putting your hands in someplace.

Trbo

We got that same sayin down here in Arkansas

idler

why did you remove it, all you had to do, was, ran a chain across the two links, and keep running it, but i guess is hard to fix it on that type of terrain.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Davidco, All you need on your chains are new pins and bushings pressed into your links and new grouser pads. You don't need new track groups. This will save you around a thousand dollars. You need to replaced your sprockets. The wear on your idlers and top roller looks good. Push the blade down and tug on the bottom rollers to see if any need to be replaced. Your roller flanges are not hitting the pin bosses on your links so the height is probably o.k. Don't let the John Deere salesman sale you something you don't need. They are notorious for that in my area. Don't forget they work on commision.
Thanks, QuickTrax

QuickTrax do you know Tommy?

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
ATCO, This usually is the way we check bottom rollers. Majority of the time we are in the field looking at machines before they come to the shop. Blocks are not always available. Its not bad until they have full rockguards on the bottom. We sometimes hit them with a hammer to see which ones are loose. I paid the price when I went to tug on one on a D61PX and it was Red hot. I had roller flange burns on my four fingers for about a week. When machines get to our shop we remove the tracks and block them up first thing then evaluate the machine.

Hey QuickTrax they are not used to the way we do things in Texas.I think Tommy carries a Tugger in his truck.I've seen the way you do this.You don't put your hand between the roller and rail.Watched a Major Cat Dealer do it the same way.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Ya, I mentioned you to Tommy and he knew exactly who you were. Small world.

He should I used to aggravate the hell out of him.Tommy is a good man.In fact I would recommend your company to anybody.I talked to Tommy on Monday.

takeover69

guys need your advice..
What is the best china/korea brand undercarriage for Komatsu & Kobelco excavators?

thanks..