• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alaskan Logging Equipment, Left to Rust

JMJ_D31

Occupation
Instrument Designer
Man I would love to have one of those old trucks. Especially the one with the low-boy hooked to it.

Thanks for sharing.

gordo1boys

Looking to buy kenworth heavy duty rear suspensions in some pictures in alaska. any help with where the old wrecked weyerhauser bone yard is near ketchikan?

johnson

It would be cool if someone would make a map of abandoned logging camps and places where you can find abandoned equipment.

tireman

It would be cool if someone would make a map of abandoned logging camps and places where you can find abandoned equipment.

Doing that would only invite thieving lowlifes who would scrap the stuff.I agree it would be nice to see in person, but unfortunately a few have ruined it for the rest.It's a sad reality of what the world has come to.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Doing that would only invite thieving lowlifes who would scrap the stuff.I agree it would be nice to see in person, but unfortunately a few have ruined it for the rest.It's a sad reality of what the world has come to.

This.

johnson

I agree with you on that one tireman,it is a crying shame that we cant enjoy seeing this great equipment just because some thief cant keep his hands to him self,if the owner wants to scrap the equipment its his choice,but just because the equipment is sitting somewhere in the forest doesn't mean its there for taking IT STILL HAS AN OWNER,and it should stay there where it is as a reminder because what happened to Alaska logging could happen anywhere in the US or the world,and it is a shame that we cant enjoy seeing this great equipment on the internet,because many of us probably won't have a chance to see it in person.Thanks for the great pictures and stories everyone especially Contract Logger.

Last edited:

dieselfreak

Occupation
Contract Log Hauling
contract logger I have sent you a few messages but your inbox is full. don't know how else to get a hold of you. just wanted to ask some questions, not publicly of course. big fan, DIESELFREAK.

johnson

Well if we cant see the pictures of the old iron,can we see the pictures of the equipment working in Alaska today,there are still a couple outfits left working up there,so if someone has pictures please post them.

Last edited:

johnson

Alaska Logging in action

Is this the Ketchikan Skagit BU-739?
Copy of 5737516519_8007c3b3d2_b.jpg
Copy of 5678468078097896867.png
I Found some action shots but I'm not shore if it's the same machine

jazzyoil

i am looking for a 150 ton low bed to buy so if anyone one knows where i could find one could you let me know

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
RE; Post 143

I hope to have it looking like this again! I was 16 when I talked my dad into buying it.
Keiths 9K Grader.jpg

Hey contract logger am an apprentice heavy duty mechanic with the hopes of having my own logging equipment and the trucks and towers i see on here or beutys and need to be restored or brought back to life there history and for me living in bc most of our towns were built around the industry if i was a serious buyer and wanted to buy some trucks and equipment from one of the yards and wrench on them and restore them how could i contact some of the owners or find the yards

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Hey contract logger am an apprentice heavy duty mechanic with the hopes of having my own logging equipment and the trucks and towers i see on here or beutys and need to be restored or brought back to life there history and for me living in bc most of our towns were built around the industry if i was a serious buyer and wanted to buy some trucks and equipment from one of the yards and wrench on them and restore them how could i contact some of the owners or find the yards

Might want to contact him directly at his website: Rustygrapple.com.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Diecastmania

Occupation
Youtube
I really think those EX400s are really cool! Sad to see em all siting! I would like to build one in 1:50 someday... It would be very cool to see them in person. NOT IN CUT UP PIECES! Thanks for posting these pics!

AKlogr

Is this the Ketchikan Skagit BU-739?
View attachment 93591
View attachment 93592
I Found some action shots but I'm not shore if it's the same machine

This Machine originally was Ketchikan Pulp's, then it went to Seley, and now I believe Crown Alaska owns it. To answer your question yes it is the same machine, the most powerful machine I ever worked under- 23 years in the brush. I once fully suspended 2- 36' spruce, one 6'8" and the other 6'4" in Shelter Cove, with a shotgun carriage. 4200' of skyline out

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Great thread, waiting for more photos to emerge. When the 2 big mills were still working, did they work year round or just seasonal? The camps must have been rather large to house all of the men who worked the woods.

Ap40