• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Aftermarket boom suspension

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
It would but part of the equation is to save a little wear and tear and fatigue on the machine also...

512high

Would it be possible to install an air ride seat or something along those lines that would be much easier to do?

M695SC Scraper Seat MB Air Suspension Seat | Ultra Seat Corp.

If I may, when I had my John Deere 244J, I thought the same, so I purchased a Grammar Air ride seat (12 volt for my machine) did it help? Well yes and no, I no longer bottomed out like the mechanical seat, but to be honest, when we were roading it, and you hit something just right, the momentum starts , and your riding a bull!

That machine went 18.5 mph

Now my newer CAT 908M( about 14K lbs machine) top speed on level ground 22-23 mph, with ride control and air ride seat, same travel route, 95% smoother. HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!

Volvomad

I dont think ride control will reduce loader wear ,more the opposite as it will rattle less but move almost constantly but will make a big difference to comfort . If it is just for transport and an empty bucket ,then a pair of lever taps if you want to turn it off or raise the machine with the bucket or dig hard into the ground paired with some accumulators can only improve things . Check cylinder pressure with an empty bucket and have at least 1 accumulator at 50 to 75 % of that pressure at a very rough uneducated guess or better still get the pressure and capacity spec for a newer cat of similar size if the the loader frame and geometry are still similar .

512high

** For the OP, please keep us posted which route you decide to go, I'm curious myself what cost would be and other options, others have mentioned. Good luck!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I dont think ride control will reduce loader wear ,more the opposite as it will rattle less but move almost constantly but will make a big difference to comfort . If it is just for transport and an empty bucket ,then a pair of lever taps if you want to turn it off or raise the machine with the bucket or dig hard into the ground paired with some accumulators can only improve things . Check cylinder pressure with an empty bucket and have at least 1 accumulator at 50 to 75 % of that pressure at a very rough uneducated guess or better still get the pressure and capacity spec for a newer cat of similar size if the the loader frame and geometry are still similar .
It will take shock load off turning joint, loader arms and axle trunion.

Mother Deuce

It really makes a difference in a pit. I had a 980G that was sent to certified rebuild about 6 years ago. It came back back from the dealer
the ride control was DOA. We were doing about 125 trucks a day then... the dealer got there in about 2 days and re charged the system.
When your just a little older than dirt and really busy... ride control is a huge plus... to operator comfort, machine wear and load efficiency.

Jonas302

Ride control does make a huge difference even in pit or roading empty you can see a mile away when they forget to turn it on

The basics would be put in a accumulator teed inline to the lift cylinders with an electric solinoid valve to let the fluid in or just go by to function normally a few thousand would get that going May want an orfice or flow valve to dial in how fast the fluid can move into the accumulator

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
That is one of my options...but would there be a cavitation issue on the other side of the piston that may cause damage? Maybe install a tiny accumulator on the other side as well, and both turn on and off at the same time?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Plus side of cylinder is open to accumulators and spool is centered . Negative side of rod is open to tank, that prevents a harsh bang on the up-stroke. If it only acted on plus side, it couldn't rise, the oil would be trapped.
Both logic valves, plus and negative have to be open at the same time.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If you have an open side to tank, then you need a different boom valve or an add on valve with a separate route to the tank when the valve is activated. Does that seem logical?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Yes, you would have 2 logic valves, one for positive one for negative. The spool in the control valve would be centered . So the plus side is open to the accumulators and the negative side is open to tank . You wouldn't have any "dig" with this option enabled since your down force would just be a loop to tank. I hope this clears things up a bit.
If you already have boom float, you may have the negative valve or an acceptable substitute in place already.

John C.

Occupation
I believe float is just a section in the the boom spool that joins both sides of the cylinders and the tank together.

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
Yes, you would have 2 logic valves, one for positive one for negative. The spool in the control valve would be centered . So the plus side is open to the accumulators and the negative side is open to tank . You wouldn't have any "dig" with this option enabled since your down force would just be a loop to tank. I hope this clears things up a bit.
If you already have boom float, you may have the negative valve or an acceptable substitute in place already.
So...am i understanding that in my current situation(I believe my spool does have float), when the control is in the center position, the negative side is open to the tank and it would pull-push oil from the tank as needed when the boom moves in response to rough terrain? If that is the case...I wouldn't need the second accumulator and it really would be a quite simple installation with just a "T", electric valve, accumulator and switch.

John C.

Occupation
The float function is with the spool shifted all the way to one side. The center position holds the boom in one place.

John C.

Occupation
You would have to T both the piston side and the rod side of the cylinders between the main boom spool with a solenoid controlled valve to operate for two modes, digging and traveling. I haven't seen a schematic of the system but just off the top of my head I can see some pretty complicated hydraulics. Accumulator needs to be isolated when digging and then in parallel with the piston side of the cylinder when traveling. Rod side would need to be closed to tank when digging and then open to tank when traveling. Float section in main valve would be of no use for the ride control function from what I can see in my head. Keep in mind that my mind is a bit scarred from age and liquid beverages.

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
If the spool is centered and the rod side is open to the tank, I should only need a “T” on the piston side with a switchable valve to shut off the accumulator....am I understanding that right? (The rod side is what pressures the arms down)

John C.

Occupation
The rod side isn't open to tank. Both sides of the cylinder are blocked with the valve spool in neutral.