• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Aftermarket boom suspension

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
Has anyone added an aftermarket boom suspension on their wheel loader? Is it worth the cost to install a factory system? I'm interested in all input I can get?
Thanks a bunch

512high

Yes, probably most commonly known as ride control

What brand machine, year, serial number. Some Oem kits may be available, and I think if you Google, there were a few company’s a few years ago that installed.

cost? No idea! And depending on the age of the machine is it worth it?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
No factory system available for a machine of that vintage. Ride control only became vogue around the late 90s onwards.
You're stuck with aftermarket or so it seems, so plumbing it both hydraulically & electrically could be a challenge.
It may be a dumb question but why do you think you need ride control.?

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
Lol. I’m getting old and would like a little more comfort. Actually there will be frequent occasions that I’ll need to road the loader from site to site instead of hauling it and I believe it will be easier on me and the loader.

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
I was really impressed with JCB’s also. Still gonna research the aftermarket avenue though.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The challenge will be accumulator displacement. Having the correct cavity to cushion the + side of the lift cylinders. Volvos system is very simple and robust and could be retrofitted to any machine with some hoses and flanges. and a simple switch and relay. It wouldn't be integrated to speed or gear selection like the factory but would function beautifully anyway. Did cat offer boom suspension on a subsequent model that perhaps used the same control valve and loader frame? That may be easier to retrofit.

crane operator

Actually there will be frequent occasions that I’ll need to road the loader from site to site instead of hauling it and I believe it will be easier on me and the loader.

Is ride control going to help with empty bucket roading? I found the cat I ran with it, it only really made a difference when loaded, not so much with empty bucket.

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
I think the set-up pressure in the accumulator could be dialed in for empty bucket transportation or full bucket but pry not both.

512high

Is ride control going to help with empty bucket roading? I found the cat I ran with it, it only really made a difference when loaded, not so much with empty bucket.

Well i have a baby cat 908M, for snow removal only, I had a John Deere 244J, did not have ride control, bucket or plow blade roading that machine on our city roads, was like riding a bull! IMy suspension seat bottomed out several times, my 908M, with ride control and air suspension is like driving my pickup, with empty bucket or a 2,300 lb blade on the front

I think OP just wants a smooth ride!

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
The challenge will be accumulator displacement. Having the correct cavity to cushion the + side of the lift cylinders. Volvos system is very simple and robust and could be retrofitted to any machine with some hoses and flanges. and a simple switch and relay. It wouldn't be integrated to speed or gear selection like the factory but would function beautifully anyway. Did cat offer boom suspension on a subsequent model that perhaps used the same control valve and loader frame? That may be easier to retrofit.
I will definitely have to check into the volvo set up also...but i am hoping for someone with experience in the aftermarket ride control to chime in and see how those compare to factory setups.

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
Obviously cost will be the largest factor in my decision whether or not to add to my fairly out dated but low hour machine. It would need to return its investment by two factors, minimize repairs and value added at trade-in or sale.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
On large platform loaders L150 and larger there were 2 accumulators. One had a light charge one had a heavy. This was for empty bucket/loaded bucket differentiation. You had a cushy ride either way. A small side note that nearly everyone overlooks. Your primary suspension component is your tires. Check ops manual for recommended air pressure. They're designed to take the load, they don't need high pressure, they have all that surface area. Front axle should show a little squat unloaded with the bucket off the ground.

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
I paid for and hauled the loader home on last friday after it had brand new tires put on it, the tire store put 45-50 psi in them. (they came with the loader) I got my operators manual for it yesterday morning and it recommends 35psi for the L3 bias tires...I lowered the pressure to 35 and its still dang rough...the ground is frozen here so that's not helping...lol