• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Abandoned Kato Excavator

Lucas Wiesel

Just yesterday I went and visited an old Kato excavator I don't know much about these machines but this one has been sitting here for at least 15 years, The engine is flooded and the cab looked like it had been on fire. Not sure if anyone knows much about these machines. I had posted a video on my Youtube channel as well.
GOPR0847.jpg GOPR0847-1.jpg GOPR0847-2.jpg GOPR0847-3.jpg

Last edited:

msllc

well... if it looks flooded out, it probably was. I would not imagine there is a whole lot there to be considered any good, maybe the final drives & hydraulic pumps because they're designed to be sealed & capable of passing through deep mud & water. what are you thinking of doing with it? Has it been given to you? What are you considering paying for it?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Back in the day they were a very honest machine , not the best just honest

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There is a reason it was left there. I didn't consider them honest at all. No service, parts maybe in New Jersey warehouse, real lousy service manuals and just plain bad engineering. They were put together out of a catalog and dumped on the market for a quick buck.

Lucas Wiesel

There is a reason it was left there. I didn't consider them honest at all. No service, parts maybe in New Jersey warehouse, real lousy service manuals and just plain bad engineering. They were put together out of a catalog and dumped on the market for a quick buck.
I had heard most Deere parts would fit these machines? maybe false info?

Lucas Wiesel

well... if it looks flooded out, it probably was. I would not imagine there is a whole lot there to be considered any good, maybe the final drives & hydraulic pumps because they're designed to be sealed & capable of passing through deep mud & water. what are you thinking of doing with it? Has it been given to you? What are you considering paying for it?
It belongs to a friend of my fathers, I was just wondering if it was salvageable or just scrap at this point.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
They were very popular in Australia 30 years ago so much so that every excavator no matter what brand was called a Kato. Kawasaki hydraulic's, Mitsubishi engine, Hy-Dash track drive. The current Chinese excavators aren't that much different.

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
Its kinda neat... Looks like something I would drag home. haha

I don't think the cab looked burnt. Just decayed from the weather getting in.

Getting out out would be a chore. Even just to scrap it. :(

Lucas Wiesel

Its kinda neat... Looks like something I would drag home. haha

I don't think the cab looked burnt. Just decayed from the weather getting in.

Getting out out would be a chore. Even just to scrap it. :(
Yep thats for sure, the machine was put back there after the owner had finished building his house, I guess he had forgot about it and his kids had smashed the windows out and vandalized it. It was parked back there when the area was a farm field. Now its a swamp and the machine is sunken about a foot, There is no way they could get it back out of there without other equipment getting stuck.

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
What state are you in? Does the ground freeze in the winter? That would the easiest way to get it out. Still would be a chore. Probably have to take the boom and stick off.

Is the engine seized?

Lucas Wiesel

What state are you in? Does the ground freeze in the winter? That would the easiest way to get it out. Still would be a chore. Probably have to take the boom and stick off.

Is the engine seized?
Im from British Columbia, it gets decently cold here just enough to freeze the ground. Im sure the engine would start with enough "TLC" but the machine wont move again.

skyking1

A friend has a Kato HD800Vii that is going to the scrappers, right after it hangs the new engine on his 315. One of life's bummers, he has to buy a new starter for the Kato first.
The 315 tossed the crank while cleaning out the pond, so another excavator is needed to hang the engine.
I told him to sell the Kato, and first thing is list the new starter :)

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Ive not seen that anti nuclear model before was that a popular machine in its time?
Kind regards
Uffex

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Appears still in life

Attachments

• KatoC03951_HD-Range.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

lantraxco

Those were decent machines in their day, that one I would guess started as a logger because it has the added catwalks and engine guard. KATO is well known for cranes, excavators, dumpers, etc. Compact Excavator Sales in Kentucky is the current US distributor, only reason I know that is they're also the distributor for IHI rubber tracked carriers/dumpers. If the oil pan isn't full of water, or the intake, or the exhaust manifold, or the hydraulic tank, (what are the odds?) drag a couple batteries down there, hook up a five gallon boat tank full of diesel to her (fuel cap is laying off the side of the fill neck) prime it until you get clean diesel to the bleeders and crack the injector lines, roll her if she will, tighten the injector lines and jumper cable the glow plugs, I'll bet you a liter of LTD she'll light and walk right on out of there.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A friend has a Kato HD800Vii that is going to the scrappers

Tell your friend not to wait on sending it. While a new starter might make it easier to load, there are so many other things that can go wrong with it just to get it running. I would rather try to get a Drott running as fool with a POS like those were.