• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Abandoned Kato Excavator

skyking1

The only reason it is not getting cut up in place is the Cat 315 engine job. It ran enough to pull the engine where the 315 sits, half tracks in the swamp. Then the starter hung up and burned up.
I've offered to go help him with the engine job, and thankfully he has let me off the hook :)
The tracks are trashed, it would need a link cut out of each and the track adjusters repacked before he would walk it on a lowboy.
After it helps the 315 out of the swamp, I imagine the 315 will help it into little pieces for scrap.

Last edited:

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Those were decent machines in their day, that one I would guess started as a logger because it has the added catwalks and engine guard. KATO is well known for cranes, excavators, dumpers, etc. Compact Excavator Sales in Kentucky is the current US distributor, only reason I know that is they're also the distributor for IHI rubber tracked carriers/dumpers. If the oil pan isn't full of water, or the intake, or the exhaust manifold, or the hydraulic tank, (what are the odds?) drag a couple batteries down there, hook up a five gallon boat tank full of diesel to her (fuel cap is laying off the side of the fill neck) prime it until you get clean diesel to the bleeders and crack the injector lines, roll her if she will, tighten the injector lines and jumper cable the glow plugs, I'll bet you a liter of LTD she'll light and walk right on out of there.
Fire her up .

bunkclimber

it won't take much to get to the bottom of the machine,like said before a starter some batteries and fuel,with a filter or two as well..even if the undercarriage is shot or loose it would still see to move if the track drives and slip ring are good..easily accomplished in a day. Bring a grill,some chicken and a 12pack of your favorite beverage,and make a outing of it

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Sure, spend a thousand dollars or more just to find out what else is wrong with it.

I hope it runs long enough to load the engine in the other machine.