• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A300 Fuel Problem?

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Pushing some snow today. After about 45 minutes of running fine, engine starting slowing down and running rough. Throttle position made little difference. Would occasionally rev up but not stay there. Finally died and would not start. Do I have ice in lines/tank? What should I check?

Delmer

What temp is it outside? and was this thing sitting outside or inside a heated shed before it was used?

I'm assuming you've been using this all winter without this problem coming up?

I'd be checking for a suction leak, air getting in the lines. If you have priming pump, that should help to narrow down where the fuel is and isn't getting in the system.

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
-13 Degrees. I wish I had a heated shed. No previous problem in the 3 years I've owned it.

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Fuel Bulb is not flat but very hard. Of course it's still -13.
Haven't tried any fuel treatment. Yet. Suggestions?

barnbuilder

Might pull the bulb loose and blow through the hose going to tank to see if the pick up is plugged.
Cold as it is could be gelled somewhere.

Delmer

You're the one in Nome, don't you guys know what to use in the winter? I'm far from a coast so I don't have to plow snow when it's that cold. I've driven trucks in colder temps but that is always winterized road fuel. I'd assume you have diesel that works for trucks and equipment in moderately cold weather even if they don't have fuel heaters?

At -13 I wouldn't think there would be any liquid water to cause problems. Maybe if you had a crack in the top of the tank and after shutting it off some snow melted from the engine heat and ran in there? Waxing up the filters would seem the most likely cold related problem, but it could just as easily be something else blocking the fuel supply or letting air in. If the fuel has wax crystals in it, it will need to be heated up and mixed with an "antigel" additive, or replaced with #1 or winterized. Be careful not to break any brittle plastic in the cold. Use a hair dryer etc. to warm up the fuel bulb and see if you can get it to pump through to the injection pump. That's as good a place to start as any.

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Down in Lower 48 for 3 weeks so it's been that long since I used it. Temps were warmer then. 20-30.
Thanks, I'll give the hair dryer a try.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
OMG !!! ….. First of all guys living where he does there will be no Diesel fuel this time of year that has anything in it that will cause Jelling !!! …… We, where I am located in Central BC ONLY have what is called "Arctic Fuel" ….. lets just say that this fuel is like Bic Lighter fluid, it's so thinned out …..

aknome : If you can run the Engine long enough to get it warm in the Engine compartment the Primer Bulb should squeeze easily …..If your fuel primer bulb is still too hard to squeeze warm it up with that hair dryer or heat gun …. (1st) disconnect the fuel line above the Bulb and prime it and SEE if there is fuel coming out ….. (2nd) if there is re-connect and loosen the Bleed screw AT the Fuel filter (it's a thumb screw) RE-Prime it again if there is fuel showing then … (3rd) loosen the Fuel filter off a bit and try re-Priming again to see if the fuel makes it that far …… these Bcat fuel supply systems are pretty simple to Diag as everything is in plain view to see and get at …..

I Had an issue a couple of years ago on my A-300 … Re: Fuel supply ….. I had a Floater in the Tank and once the fuel level got down to the last quarter it would plug off the intake …. As once mentioned before a Deff tell tale is the Primer Bulb will go Flat, so if yours does not show that, that is a Great Start to solving the issue ….

Let us know what you find !!! …. Cheers !!!

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Thanks Craft. Followed your advice plus, topped tank with fuel, filled 1/2 fuel filter with Diesel 911. Warmer day (25 F), a shot of ether and she started up. Ran it for over an hour pushing snow and working good.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
That's Great to Hear that it's running again !!! ……. BUT Be Careful … BE VERY CAREFUL when using the Ether !!!!!! …… NEVER inject it into the Airbox When It's going thru the pre-heat cycle ….. it's an air intake heater and if that puppy is heating and glowing and the ether hits it ….. WELL lets just say "You Had An Air Filter Intake" ….. BOOM …. LOL ….. Cheers !!!