• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

a must see for dozer operators!!!

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Thanks 72V.
That gives me a direction to search in....which is much more than I had before.
Thanks again. :drinkup
:cool:

RollOver Pete

Occupation
and to 'Richard' (The site language censor won't let me post the abreviated form of 'Richard'. It seems to think I am referring crudely to a male genital organ.)

Hmmm.....
I had the same problem. :confused:
Maybe its a good thing that I don't go by Roll Over 'Peter', 'Peter' Pan, 'Peter' Cotton Tail, or anything with a 'Peter' in it.

Wait a minute....that didn't come out right.....:beatsme

Deas Plant

Language barrier.

Hi, RollOverPete.
There is another example of this 'language barrier' over at the TGIF forum on this site, in the 'Sleep in - Yeah, Right' thread. I tried to post ' donchya hate it' as ' donchya hay titt' with only one 't' on the end and that third word came out as 3 asterisks. Talk about big brother watching us. LOL.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Hi, RollOverPete.
2 VERY good posts. Thank you for sharing. Like you, I owe some people in my past a debt - which I hope I am repaying by teaching others my craft and helping others whom I can't meet face to face with information in forums such as this.

My thanks go specifically to George Walmsley who, in Feb., 1965, gave me a start as a learner operator on a 3T D7 with a cable angle blade, Brian Bairstowe for his efforts in teaching me some of the tricks of the trade with that D7, some of which I still use today, and to 'Richard' (The site language censor won't let me post the abreviated form of 'Richard'. It seems to think I am referring crudely to a male genital organ.) Archer for giving me a run on a powershift Cat D9G (God, it was a BIG machine - then.) later in 1965, which stood me in good stead when I applied for the next job after that one, 'cos up till then, I had only run stick-shifts.

That old 980 with the V8 had the same 'donk' as the first 621 elevator scrapers, the J621's. I couldn't tell you the motor series but I'd be surprised if there isn't someone here who can. I ran one for a while in a quarry in Perth, Western Australia. I thought it worked well and gave very little trouble. It certainly had plenty of grunt and it did have its own unique exhaust note. I spent most of my time on it loading 2 x 30 ton Euclid dump trucks at the quarry face. I enjoyed it.

Like you, I also spent a bit of time on those old 46A's and really learned to know them and what they could do. I also spent a bit of time on 66A and 77V D9's and learned to appreciate them too. I've run a couple of 977's, K's and L's, and liked them too. I ran a couple of 988A's before I ran the 980A and a couple after it and I have to say I couldn't choose one over the other as far as operating was concerned. I didn't get to run it but I did work alongside a later 980 with the 3306 'donk' and it seemed to go well too.

Thanks for the memories.

I have an old 1968 Kenworth truck with Cat 1767 series engine and was told it was the same as the early 621 scraper v8 engine.The truck has both the turbo and aftercooler,and is rated at 340 hp.Scrapers were just turbo charged.

I remember the early 621 scraper with the v8 they was nose heavy and always wanting to nose in the ground when coming down off a slope.Unlike the old 631,s with the fuel tank mounted on the back they was tail heavy and if not careful could stand it right up on the tank in the rear.

Looking staright up or down was always not that fun:eek: :usa

GaryKelley

Occupation
Self employed loser
A "must see"??

Yea, I got one, turns out it was underpowered, so I sent it back and got a 4, in my opinion, they are the ONLY tracked machine with the right power-weight ratio...

royce

R.O.P., that would be the Cat D336 in that old 980, with dual overhead cams. The gear train on that thing must have been impressive. I'd like to hear that sound myself.

You are correct, it is the Cat D336 V8 engine, as a truck engine it was called the 1676. It was used in the earlier 980's and the early 621's . It seems it was Caterpillar's first attempt at a high performance engine, it featured dual overhead cams and a very compact block. Most models were rated around 300 horsepower, but I saw a yacht with 2 D336 marine engines, each rated at 420 horsepower. Their ones that I heard did have a very high pitched scream at wot.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Hey Construct'O...
Do you think you might be able to take a few pics and post them?
I'd appreciate it....

RollOver Pete

Occupation
You are correct, it is the Cat D336 V8 engine, as a truck engine it was called the 1676. It was used in the earlier 980's and the early 621's . It seems it was Caterpillar's first attempt at a high performance engine, it featured dual overhead cams and a very compact block. Most models were rated around 300 horsepower, but I saw a yacht with 2 D336 marine engines, each rated at 420 horsepower. Their ones that I heard did have a very high pitched scream at wot.

The scream.....
Yeah, thats what I remember....
Thanks royce :drinkup

pushkid84

THAT HAS TO BE THE COOLEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!! I DONT KNOW ABOUT SOME OF YOU OLD SCHOOL GUYS TALKING ABOUT RUNING THOSE DINOS I THINK THE NEWER AND MORE OPERATOR FRIENDLY THE BETTER.:beatsme

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
THAT HAS TO BE THE COOLEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!! I DONT KNOW ABOUT SOME OF YOU OLD SCHOOL GUYS TALKING ABOUT RUNING THOSE DINOS I THINK THE NEWER AND MORE OPERATOR FRIENDLY THE BETTER.:beatsme

G,day Pushkid84 Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums. Please do us a favour and refrain from posting in "All Caps"...its considered shouting in nettiquette speak. Thanks.

QPS

G,day Pushkid84 Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums. Please do us a favour and refrain from posting in "All Caps"...its considered shouting in nettiquette speak. Thanks.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS PERSON, he once sent me a email saying he was stepping away from his computer and would get right back to me.......that was 3 months ago:beatsme ......what's up squizz:drinkup

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Hey Construct'O...
Do you think you might be able to take a few pics and post them?
I'd appreciate it....

RollOver Pete,I'll try get get some,but might be a little while busy with work,trying to get as much done as i can before the ground freezes solid one of these days.

It is 1676,like posted above, i believe.I was close ,just turned around some.The fuel injection pumps set to the rear of the v8 engine between the heads, and the aftercooler is on the outside of the fuel pump still between the heads,but higher.

The turbo is mounted at the rear of the engine,Just need to get you pictures!:usa

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums pushkid84! :drinkup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS PERSON, he once sent me a email saying he was stepping away from his computer and would get right back to me.......that was 3 months ago:beatsme ......what's up squizz:drinkup

Ignore this scallwag, he's one that got missed in the last round of Bannings!!:rolleyes:

How the hell are ya Tim:D

Deas Plant

D10 in trouble??????????

Hi, RollOverPete.
I've seen that page at Vanatta and I suspect that the machine in question is a D11, not a D10 - see twin exhaust stacks. Only the early D10's had twin stacks and that AIN'T an early one.

I don't know how true it is but I was told that it happened at a mine near Kalgoorlie in Western Australia. I was also told that it was driven out of there under its own 'steam' but I find that hard to believe. I suspect that the engine sensor system would not allow it to run in that position due to lack of oil for the pumps to pick up. Especially, I doubt that you would be able to re-start the engine once it had been shut down. I also suspect that if you tried to 'lift' the blade so that you could drive it on down the slope, you would be more likely to bring the rear of the machine right over the top of yourself. Now that would make life interesting for a moment or two.

Last edited: