• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3306B The good, The bad and The ugly

workshoprat92

I tow one truck behind another with a military surplus tow bar frequently, it works great.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/transporting-the-dead.20894/
I really heavily considered doing this. In the end the time and materials plus the lost work from time off to go do this just didnt add up. I might set something up for future use if i get free time. As for now I opted to let a tow compang do what they do best while i set in my truck and continue to do what I do best and not lose the revenue. In the end the math added up to a break even letting someone else do it and going the flat tow option it was a net loss all the way around. Long story short its setting in my driveway. Gotta get past vacation at the inlaws and then I can start in on it! New thread to come.

mitch504

That's probably smart. Long trips like that, anything goes wrong it is a PITA, not being in familiar territory, or having support. When I do it, I am within 125 miles of home.

workshoprat92

That's probably smart. Long trips like that, anything goes wrong it is a PITA, not being in familiar territory, or having support. When I do it, I am within 125 miles of home.
Yea it was a little over 200 miles. A little outside my comfort zone lol! Usualky I haul them on my 20 ton tag along but this one was just way to long. Im really eager to open this thing up and get it going!

Randy88

As one guy put it, if it runs and is in good shape and go directly to work, its worth gold, if it needs much of anything for work, its much cheaper, if it needs an engine or anything major, it worth scrap price, unless more than one person needs something off the truck for the same parts.

Old Doug

I've always figured the caster would keep it straight
I dont know why but some want to turn the opposite way when being towbared . We towed several cars with the steering locked. Studebakers are one of them as soon as you start to turn the wheels will turn the wrong way completely. We towed one over 600 miles with the steering locked the hub caps came off at the first corner.

Old Doug

As one guy put it, if it runs and is in good shape and go directly to work, its worth gold, if it needs much of anything for work, its much cheaper, if it needs an engine or anything major, it worth scrap price, unless more than one person needs something off the truck for the same parts.
I bought the first truck 3 years ago that i ever payed more than scrap value for. I was able to drive it home without doing any work to it . That felt strange

Tyler d4c

I bought the first truck 3 years ago that i ever payed more than scrap value for. I was able to drive it home without doing any work to it . That felt strange
Sounds like us buying equipment it's odd when it drives its self in the shop

Randy88

Just talked to one guy a few days ago about trucks, his comment was if the tires are almost new, be very Leary of it, because it usually means something was wrong with it and it never ran long enough to wear them out, so the seller finally said screw it, just sell the dang thing and be done with it, if the tires are shot, it means at least the truck ran good enough to wear out the tires and then before buying another new set, they just decided to sell the truck. I laughed at first then thought back to all the trucks I've ever bought over the years, pretty much sums them all up to a T.