• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3306B The good, The bad and The ugly

workshoprat92

Looking at buying a truck with a 3306B cat engine. It has a blown head gasket. What are the common causes of a blown head gasket on the 3306 engines? Whats the good and the bad of a 3306? Never had one myself

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Looking at buying a truck with a 3306B cat engine. It has a blown head gasket. What are the common causes of a blown head gasket on the 3306 engines? Whats the good and the bad of a 3306? Never had one myself
Never worked on a 3306B truck engine but plenty of 3306's in loaders. I thinking the most common cause of head gasket failure would be bad liner projection. That's assuming someone was not playing around trying to get more power or just plain poor maintenance causing overheating and warped head.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
When you see something for sale and it says "blown head gasket", it has to make you wonder how they diagnosed it, did they just pick the thing to call it that would make the buyers think it would be easy to fix? If so why did they not fix it themselves?

colson04

"Blown head gasket" sounds so much nicer than "cracked head" doesn't it?

Sounds better than "we ran it so hot with a plugged radiator in 110° heat that we turned the exhaust red, seized the turbo and puked all the fluids out"

We overheated a John Deere 6410 once while pumping manure from a lagoon. Turbo 4 cylinder, (~100pto hp), loading tanker after tanker, about 28 ft of head, 6" pipe. That poor tractor gave it everything she had for about 6 hours until pop! White smoke and no more chug chug chug. Cracked the head and warped exhaust manifold.

AzIron

3306 seemed to run good were not a power house tho we had 2 of them back in the late 90s had them 5 or 6 years each never had a problem

workshoprat92

When you see something for sale and it says "blown head gasket", it has to make you wonder how they diagnosed it, did they just pick the thing to call it that would make the buyers think it would be easy to fix? If so why did they not fix it themselves?
I took the long drive and went to look at it myself. It may be a blown head gasket or cracked head. It does run and its pumping compression into the water jacket as well as pumping water out the exshaust. When you pull the radiator cap you can see apoof poof poof of smoke every time that cylinder hits. He says no water in the oil but its way high on the stick way past full. Pretty sure if ya pulled the plug your gona get water. As far as it being overheated i dont see any of the tell tale signs of overheated. He says hes not putting money into it because he found out he has bad cancer. I have no rrason to doubt him. If the price is right even if its been fried it can get a cummins swap easy enough. Just have to balance that on tear down and inspection to see what and why it doing what its doing. As much as its puffing out the radiator its gona be fairly obvious!

cfherrman

I have it my watch list but I won't be bidding.

How did it look, how high do you think it will go? Typically things are going super high there and don't forget to add 10% plus 8% to your bid for fees.

I'm guessing 10k, it's already at 2k

workshoprat92

I real
I have it my watch list but I won't be bidding.

How did it look, how high do you think it will go? Typically things are going super high there and don't forget to add 10% plus 8% to your bid for fees.

I'm guessing 10k, it's already at 2k
I really dont think it will go anywhere near 10 k with a blown engine. Just hard to say and you never know till the hammer drops. Biggest thing about that truck is its not able to drive home and its so long its a big transportation issue. Its gona be very costly to move any amount of distance to get it somewhere to do the engine work. Other than that its the standard well used dump truck. Last one i bought with a siezed motor i paid $2600. But it was just a truck and not set up as a dump truck. Im aware of the 10%. As a company with interstate authority i am exempt from sales tax on big trucks and truck parts over a certian class trucks. This one qualifies as tax exempt for me.

crane operator

I don't think there's any way it stays under $10,000. I'm not looking for a dump, but I've been trying to buy another truck, and I've been blown away by what guys are asking for project trucks.

1990 KW 3406 that got hot- doesn't know what's wrong $28,000

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:22e57123-f63c-4942-8b5c-9ad6712dabe3

1987 KW day cab tractor, " a L10 that's not running" (but somehow they know the A/C works :rolleyes:)- $6,000

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:22e57123-f63c-4942-8b5c-9ad6712dabe3

1980 Mack superliner, "needs a engine", -$10,000

1994 peterbilt 378 day cab that was a dump, "has a bad knock" N-14 - $21,500

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:34a764bb-4d5a-4b43-a382-5afb78ee2ba8

1990 t600 dump.jpg 1987 KW daycab.jpg superliner.jpg 1994 pete 378.jpg

crane operator

And as far as the 3306, I ran one in a crane, and it struggled to move it around, but the crane was 77,000lbs. I don't think there was anything really wrong with the engine, just sized wrong for the application.

I don't think you'll find it much different power wise than a L10 or any other 10-11 liter motor- its never going to be a 855/n-14, 3406 or 12.7 detroit, but it would be fine in a short tandem doing jobsite work.

suladas

$28.5k for a 30 year old dump that might need a motor? Does the bed come filled with cash or gold it in to make up for it being at least $15k overpriced? That price would be in line if the truck was ready to work.

cfherrman

It's a auction up 9/8 sitting at $2000 right now. I won't link the sure because the op didn't. Reasons I think it will go for too much:

It's in Kansas, In kansas this site they go for more as it's more local
Already setup as a dump
Western star truck, all though a 1989
3306 mechanical should be sought after engine
Video of it running all though drive shaft has been removed (so it has to be towed)
I've seen many non running trucks go for stupid high, last too I can think of is a ready mix truck and a refuse truck, both didn't run, both went over 10k.

Excited to see as it's kinda of my game on this site to guess what goes for cheap.