• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3306B The good, The bad and The ugly

colson04

One was a late 90s Kodiak with a 7.4l gasser. Listed as having a misfire, no brakes, obvious body rust, and hydraulic system partially torn apart and exposed. Truck brought $8000 in that condition, plus someone paid 13% buyers premium and then 6% sales tax on top of that. The other truck had a C7 Cat and brought even more. Not near as many issues, but still a 20 year old truck.
The search continues.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The 3306 engine was common in concrete trucks around here for years. I looked at a fleet of around thirty trucks back in the early 2000s and at least half were 3306 and the rest were L10 Cummins.

cfherrman

Yeah sold for $2600 + fees!

If my back wasn't hurt I might have tried to get it.

A ready mix truck I had watched sold for 10k and it was fine, I've seen broken engine ones go for more than that, strange trend.

I've seen items go way up in the last 2 hours on this site, typically most of the bidding is done then

workshoprat92

Yeah sold for $2600 + fees!

If my back wasn't hurt I might have tried to get it.

A ready mix truck I had watched sold for 10k and it was fine, I've seen broken engine ones go for more than that, strange trend.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get it 200 miles to springfield mo.
I had it added up right. In nowhere kansas with a bad engine a d 32 foot bumper to bumper means hard to move and gona be expensive to deal with. Also 3306 cat even being a mechanical engine is not very desirable as its not something you can turn up to 500hp to be another swingin di ck blowing coals! I hate to toot my own horn but i was spot on on my estimate!

cfherrman

Auctions are fun, when you bid no matter of won or outbid you have the same feeling of happiness and regret.

In my uneducated and unknowingly opinion the 3306 is a excellent engine to have except that it's only a 10l, which it's heavy duty so that's even fine. You can probably safely turn up to 300-400 with money I'm guessing. I think they still make new 3306's in mine equipment.

workshoprat92

Auctions are fun, when you bid no matter of won or outbid you have the same feeling of happiness and regret.

In my uneducated and unknowingly opinion the 3306 is a excellent engine to have except that it's only a 10l, which it's heavy duty so that's even fine. You can probably safely turn up to 300-400 with money I'm guessing. I think they still make new 3306's in mine equipment.
Yes it is quite the adrenalne rush. I am pretty darn happy with this purchase. Even if the engine is totally toast it will be a good cummins transplant candidate. The truck is worth the sum of the parts. I am considering flat towing it behind one of my other trucks to get it home.

crane operator

That's great you got it bought, and I agree that the 2,600 is cheap- the rear ends as a cut off are worth that, to say nothing of the bed and the cab- if you had to part it out.

Its double frame, 8LL, tarp on it, and has room for a couple lift axles if you need them.

workshoprat92

That's great you got it bought, and I agree that the 2,600 is cheap- the rear ends as a cut off are worth that, to say nothing of the bed and the cab- if you had to part it out.

Its double frame, 8LL, tarp on it, and has room for a couple lift axles if you need them.
It actually had two lift axles on it at one time. Not sure why they would have been removed.

mitch504

That's pretty cool, what do you do with the steering of the truck bring towed?
You leave it free, it tracks perfectly behind. If you tied it, it would try to to go straight always, and you would have to drag it sideways around corners.

I knew that was the answer, but the first time I tried it, I rode in the towed truck with my hands an inch from the wheel.:D