• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

330 Volvo

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I was thinking about the mobility end of it as he probably will have to make haul roads and tracking pads etc plus clean the main road from time to time if they track anything on it that anyone could complain about.Ron G

seo

Occupation
tugboat captain
Alco,
Is that because an excavator is:
a) cheaper
b) faster
c) more reliable
d) does a better final job

I should admit here that I have almost no experience with excavators. I work around dredging projects where the primary tool is a clamshell bucket on a crane. I drive the tugboat that moves the dredge-barge around, and tows the dump barges away to the dump. This method is necessary when the bottom is rocky, but it's way slower than a suction dredge that works like an underwater vacuum cleaner, which works very well in sand.

My experience with earthmoving on dry land is with bulldozers and track loaders, which seem like simpler machines than excavators, but once again, what do I know?

SEO

Lashlander

I work around dredging projects where the primary tool is a clamshell bucket on a crane. I drive the tugboat that moves the dredge-barge around, and tows the dump barges away to the dump. This method is necessary when the bottom is rocky, but it's way slower than a suction dredge that works like an underwater vacuum cleaner, which works very well in sand.SEO

Loaders need firm footing to dig. If your pulling 4 feet of loomy topsoil of soft ground your going to have a tough time with a loader.
We need some pics of your dredging operation.:thumbsup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but an excavator (a really big one in this case) would only be good so long as the trucks are able to get to where the machine is digging: and

Would a dozer stripping/pushing and something like 966 loading out be the fastest and most economical?? it all depends on the ground I suppose but I'm talking generic.

I remember awhile back we were going through the Caterpillar performance handbook and the figures where well in favour of the dozer for stripping topsoil.

ben46a

I think i would probably use a D8 stripping and feeding a 980 sized loader with a 7-7.5 yd bucket to feed out. A 980 will load a tandem truck in two buckets and a tandem semi trailer in 3 so it efficient as you dont have to go back for the little bit extra. The D8 will easily peel out that topsoil and give the loader an easier job of loading it out.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I would think that if you had a D8 cutting down to grade and pushing the topsoil up into windrows (about 8-10 feet high) and then leveled the tops of the windrows and sat a good sized excavator on top of those windrows and let the trucks run next to it that would work well.

A 345 with even a 60" 3 yard bucket in that type of material can load a standard sized dump truck in 3-4 passes. And if the truck is positioned right, it might be faster (and cheaper) than a 980 loader. And you can use the dozer to keep up wiht ruts and haul roads every so often while its stripping.

Just my thought, in the end its up to you.:usa

Digger992

Their nice size,we used one over the winter in our mine to do some stripping in wet clay..Our 990 was down for service...

As far as Volvo goes,we had a L220D Long boom...P.O.S. ... dont get me wrong,i know there are usually some minor kinks with any machine from the factory and even more with machines that are built then taken apart for shipment then reassembled on site...We had major Tranny probs and also Hyd Pump....If im not mistaken they use a type of Car Tranny fluid in their's...The only thing that didnt give us a fit was the engine....

coalburner

mwhyte

I feel your pain.

Volvo is finally coming to the table with a proposal of trading out the 330 with their 350 demo machine. Volvo says that they want to do a fair market value trade on the machines. I am not impressed. I told the dealer that if Volvo wanted pay me the money I have been out I will gladly entertain the option of a buy out trade.

It has been a while since I last replied it has been such a disappointment I hate to think about it.

Right front wheel broke and spun.
Front drive shaft come apart and broke lots of stuff and dumped hydraulic fluid everywhere.
AC works sometimes.
Alternator went out machine down for three days.
Engine doors won't stay closed and they sure get tore up when they come open and get into the tires.
Grease lines to the bucket pins still keep breaking off.
Last hydraulic sample came back with high iron. We haven't had leaks lately and the fluid samples are showing it.
Still shifts hard when it is at operating temperature.
Seatbelt latch broke.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
CoalBurner,
A Fair Market Value trade out? You might ask them for a definition of Fair Market Value. I'm sure it will come out to what they would offer anyone else as a trade in value.

I would think they should offer to just trade out the old machine for the demo one and continue on under the current financing.

I think there are some provisions in the UCC that cover your situation. The machine has not operated to what any reasonable person would consider acceptable performance. Perhaps a good attorney well versed in business law might be at your side when they make an offer. I'm sure the dealer and Volvo corporate have consulted with theirs.

Thanks for the update.

Good Luck!

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
G,day Coalburner, thanks for the update. I was starting to wonder how it was going....."market value"...maybe they should see what the members of HEF would offer for it????:eek:

I like to see the dealer work on their offers, stew over it, go back and forward before you start lawyering up though. You got a lemon and they should buy back at exactly what you paid for it......the problem here I feel is not going to be the dealer...its Volvo for sure and I have seen dealers well and truly screwed over by Volvo before.

Good Luck and hope it works out for you.

Digger992

mwhyte

I feel your pain.

Volvo is finally coming to the table with a proposal of trading out the 330 with their 350 demo machine. Volvo says that they want to do a fair market value trade on the machines. I am not impressed. I told the dealer that if Volvo wanted pay me the money I have been out I will gladly entertain the option of a buy out trade.

It has been a while since I last replied it has been such a disappointment I hate to think about it.

Right front wheel broke and spun.
Front drive shaft come apart and broke lots of stuff and dumped hydraulic fluid everywhere.
AC works sometimes.
Alternator went out machine down for three days.
Engine doors won't stay closed and they sure get tore up when they come open and get into the tires.
Grease lines to the bucket pins still keep breaking off.
Last hydraulic sample came back with high iron. We haven't had leaks lately and the fluid samples are showing it.
Still shifts hard when it is at operating temperature.
Seatbelt latch broke.

Front Wheel = unreal,thats odd on a Loader but does happen...
Driveshaft = they dont have a guard over it??? I have broke a few in my day,usually traction hop first then SNAP...
Alt = well thats just electrical chit...gonna happen...
Engine door = Thats a Safety issue if they are hitting your tires...That machine would be Tagged D.N.O. where i work til they fixed it...
Hyd Sample = I had 2 that came back High,They said on new machines during break in they will usually show high,things are wearing in place...
Tranny = thats a tuff one IMO...I would rather a Tranny shift a little hard then slip...If it shifts so hard it hurts your back thats a whole different thing...
Seatbelt=D.N.O. PER M.S.H.A. REG'S...M.S.H.A. is handing out big fines for silly chit...There are not many more lil love taps on the hand...Our last fine was $2500 for a single handrail missing,it was about 2ft long...I havnt dealt with O.S.H.A. in years but i would say thats a D.N.O. with them too...

How long has this machine been down compared to in service time???Thats a pretty good list you got going...

Digger992

G,day Coalburner, thanks for the update. I was starting to wonder how it was going....."market value"...maybe they should see what the members of HEF would offer for it????:eek:

I like to see the dealer work on their offers, stew over it, go back and forward before you start lawyering up though. You got a lemon and they should buy back at exactly what you paid for it......the problem here I feel is not going to be the dealer...its Volvo for sure and I have seen dealers well and truly screwed over by Volvo before.

Good Luck and hope it works out for you.

I have too and if Volvo would at least try to work with them,they dont seem to give a chit...I believe there are certain time frame laws as to run time hrs vs down time hrs on new machines,i may be wrong on that or it may be state to state...Thats why I asked that question..

coalburner

digger992
I get the feeling you didn't read this thread from the beginning.

Volvo has almost spent the cost of this machine fixing it.

zlssefi

Hello guys, new to the forum here. This is a great site i stumbled upon when i was looking for terex loader information. Would someone be so kind to start a thread for me so i can ask a few questions regarding my 73-31ba? thanks in advance guys!

Brian

coalburner

Update: I made a responce to there ???K trade out price. Haven't heard from them yet. They are telling me that the new 350 is going to save me money and increase production, I told them that is the same thing they said the 330 would do over two 980's which it hasn't. The sad part is I didn't post this problem company wide and now one of our other plants has a PO for a 350. I shouln'd have been so paitent and torpedoed that deal.

Last failures:
Front drive shaft let loose, we keep telling them that the transmission is still shifting to hard, they say that is normal for the 330.

Dealer teck says the rear differential has a lot of play in it.

Had another hydraulic sample come back bad.

Bucket pin broke into pieces and parked the machine. The dealer did bring a small loader to help out. Our 980 F had a broken fan belt spring, and a VERY hard to find broken fuel line that was causing it to suck air. The 980 G had a hydraulic leak. I wish the Volvo would do what we bought it for. It is expensive keeping back up loaders for what one 330 should be doing.

alco

Coalburner,

Do you have an update on your situation for us?

Brian

hvy 1ton

Pretty sure that's the old 330 leaving, and if it's leaving you can bet there won't be a Volvo replacing it, considering coalburner's experiences thus far.