• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

330 Volvo

Lashlander

I don't thinks thats the old one. It would have to be looking pretty tough by now. I'm guessing its getting replaced.

hvy 1ton

They are telling me that the new 350 is going to save me money and increase production, I told them that is the same thing they said the 330 would do over two 980's which it hasn't. The sad part is I didn't post this problem company wide and now one of our other plants has a PO for a 350. I shouln'd have been so paitent and torpedoed that deal.
I stand corrected. Pneumonia may be getting the better of mental abilities, but still sounds like that 350 is on the way out. I could be wrong twice.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
We could have a nice betting here::D

Mine is as this:
He's getting a new 350 for the old 330.
Somebody up in Volvo has been forced to solve this bad topic going over HEF for so long time.:cool:

And thats the new one arriving for assembly....

And i also bet that coalburner should come out with some positive feedbacks on the 350F here on HEF very soon....

Or what????

coalburner

Yes we did work out a deal and it wasn't an even trade. Trust me nothing is free anymore.

My first thoughts on the new L350.
It's a 115K pound sports car, fast, smooth shifting, quiet, powerful, a very impressive machine. So far so good:)

One more thing the L330 has been had some problems with the CDC, and ac, but it has been fairly dependable over the last few months, it will be a good loader for some one.

Attachments

• may 08 038 (Small).jpg
    may 08 038 (Small).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 808

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Yes we did work out a deal and it wasn't an even trade. Trust me nothing is free anymore.

My first thoughts on the new L350.
It's a 115K pound sports car, fast, smooth shifting, quiet, powerful, a very impressive machine. So far so good:)

One more thing the L330 has been had some problems with the CDC, and ac, but it has been fairly dependable over the last few months, it will be a good loader for some one.

Thanks for pulling this thread to the top.
It has been my evenings reading :)
coalburner you are an :angel or at least a saint :D with the patience you have.
I sincerely hope that loader is everything that you expected the last one to be. Good luck.

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
I read every thread and from my experience in System Safety and Reliability with aircraft and even though it is apples and oranges as far as the subject goes but from what I’m reading the 330 was a quickly manufactured loader to answer some sort need and a way to compete to the other manufactures. It is very obvious that Volvo messed up and the engineering department has gotten beat up over this poorly made piece. It was clear with other post that other operators voiced very similar issues with reliability and again Volvo basically has to bite the bullet on this unit and hopefully this 350F is the answer. I have run different equipment over the last twenty years but I don’t do it long enough to really give an honest no BS assessment on how it stood up to another piece. What I’ve found is heaps of research has been done to keep the operator focused on the job with a lot less work physically with over long periods of time through ergonomics. I believe the experiences that Coalburner has witnessed and the knowledge he has since he seems to be in a place of upper management that he can and could clearly express ways of mitigating future issues. It was clear that the computer didn’t lie and it proved with out of doubt the operators where doing there jobs within the perimeters again it was clearly Volvo who was at fault. I am pointing the finger at the manufacture since you have repeated issues with fittings, and leaks and those are nuisance gripes with low operation hours. To me those kinds of things are expected from time to time due to vibrations and wear but these seem clearly in workmanship was lacking in the test phase. I read several posts that clearly expressed you’d get a lemon from time to time. Now is when legal liabilities get into the mix and where Volvo may not want to get to loose lipped about mistakes made in the development of this machine. It is easier to trade and save face than go to court over a proven faulted and failed piece of equipment and have it on record of a court proceedings for future lawsuits. Maybe I’m looking more into this than is really there but again this is and has been a very interesting thread.

CatYelloBlooded

Occupation
Shop Mechanic
If there was ever a story of a lemon- man this is it. I'm glad to see some resolution to this. Hopefully through your patience you will be rewarded with a dependable loader.

elirock83

I have never ran a volvo and probably never will. My familly has been running a quarry since the 1950's we had allis chalmers loaders, till the first articulated michigan's came out and ran them till the early 1990's. When volvo bought michigan in 1986 it was the begining of the end. We had a L140 and couldn't find parts for it. We call up our dealer and tell them we had an 140 and they say, "oh you got one of those? That could be a problem."

From what i have heard/read about the L350F it should be a boon to man kind over the 330. Our main competitor bought 4 or 5 330's in the mid 90's And know they had to replace tranny's on all of them once. My neighbor is a mechanic for them.

I just hope you don't give up on other brands though, if cat thinks they have you hooked they don't price very good. we bought a new komatsu wa500 for 80% of what a used 980g was priced. The big komatsu's are good and i think the kawasaki's are well like, i just wish we had a dealer with in a 100miles.

Last edited:

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
The service truck is here all the time; I just hope he gets all the loose hydraulic fittings tight before the warranty is out. One of the main lines on the hydraulic pump came loose the other day and was spraying fluid all over the turbo charger it was almost all over but the crying.

The bucket pins were installed per factory directions and kept coming loose. The service mechanic figured out that they were installed backwards. Ordered a new set and installed them his way and they have been tight since.

you probably did not notice that you bought a volvo earthmoving machine :D
i would take one even if it would be almost free, the cost of leaking oil is to high! it's the same with the excavators also :mad:
but the trucks seems to beed decent!
why buy a volvo, when CAT, komatsu and some other japanese machines are leak free?
My D8 14A (1955model) doesn't leak oil at all...

JimInOz

Your Rights

Hey Coalburner,
You only have to look at your local "Fair Trading" laws,which applies to every business,big or small.
Here in Australia we have one law which states.." You are required to give a refund if the goods:
1...are faulty(even if the fault becomes obvious after reasonable use)
2..are unfit for their purpose ( ie..won't do what they are reasonably expected to do.)
3...don't match the description or sample given.

My advice...don't go to Volvo to get them to decide your fate (after spending ?????$$$).....go to your Consumer Affairs Bureau or whatever you have there.
Tell them the exact truth...that you spent huge dollars on a pile of scrap that made you look bad to your customers.
Every company makes piles of scrap on occassion...a guy spending his house away to buy it should not wear the cost of shoddy workmanship & bad service.

I wish you well.
Jim

BillyP

So coalburner, hows everything going now?

I'm not coalburner but I work with him and run this machine (L350) and it has issues. same design on the seat, wires being cut when the seat is lowered , bucket pins replaced twice, one set was an upgrade the second was due to improper install, two computer replacements, a/c problems, hard to start, sounds like it looses prime, return to dig has to be reset at each startup (no fix for this yet) Seems like every fix leads to a new problem.
Takes a long time to get parts.
It's been better than the 330 though.
Personally I'd rather have a Cat!

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
I'm return to dig has to be reset at each startup (no fix for this yet) Seems like every fix leads to a new problem.
Takes a long time to get parts.

You gotta love software and the amount of code used in upgrades and patches. To me it sounds like the computers and the software was a fast install and engineering didn't want to spend money on proper research on software up grades and the problems associated when you add code to the existing programs.....From what you posted these issues are more a nuisance and not safety related.