• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3 things to know to operate

KY Jim

Occupation
Heavy Equipment hauler, Dozer operator
After finishing up the thread, Yes, an operator NEEDS to have a good understanding of his/her machine, PERIOD. The Early Detection aspect ESPECIALLY. Save your Boss Big Bucks and he won't Go Broke, therefore you still have a job. Yes, the DOZER will be your Primary Instructor always, but a Good Coach will make you GOOD, and much more quickly. The excuse I've always heard against trainees is 'It wastes too much fuel, and they break too much stuff.' Yeah, Right, like the Old Hands were Aces the day they got their first job. I went to Diesel Mechanic school when I was too young to get a Drivin' Job, JUST so I could tell the mechanic what to bring when I broke down, if not fix it myself. That was ONE thing I did RIGHT. Always had an advantage, growing up in the same house with an Old Hand. Dad's one of them 'Quiet Types,' but he opens up to questions about equipment.
High-track or low-track, I love 'em ALL, and can't tell much difference. I'm glad the high-tracks HAVE high tracks, tho, because it would be a LONG, tough climb up to the cab without 'em.
I'm Baffled about the 'No Baffles' tearing. Don't 9G and H's have dual oil pumps, one in each end? And pushing around the hill would just make the oil puddle in one side or the other. I thought they had swinging pickups? I think someone just wanted to hand out an @$$-tearing. Never heard of any silliness like that around here.
KY Jim

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Mr Scott, I appreciate your situation....
Ouftits usually want a pushcat available to push whenever a scraper shows up, any time spent doing anything else is seen as a waste of time.
Running something as heavy as a 9 on a slope trimming, when it's supposed to be pushing scrapers, is probably seen as a waste of time and undercarriage life by the employer in question. Cushion blades aren't ideally suited for that task, anyway, although they can do it. (I've done it too.)

Probably this is one of those outfits that would rather have you sit there for 20 minutes doing nothing, with scrapers on a 3 mile haul, than try to "help out". :Banghead
Just on the off chance a pan shows up and has to wait for the pushcat. Especially with single engine pans, that are just about useless without loading assistance. Awfully hard on differentials trying to self load a 631, my outfit found out the hard way....what does the mechanic know...
Then again, maybe they look at it like if the 9 were to go down for some reason, all their production would be lost.
Just trying to look at things from both sides.
Believe me, I've been there. I usually screw up worst when trying to do a "good deed"!
See my avatar, for instance...

Last edited:

Scrub Puller

Yair... Interesting. A little heated at times but very entertaining. I'm a newbie on this computer carry on but have probably around 40.000 thousand hours seat time so, for what its worth an observation:-

The best finish dozer operator I ever saw was a bloke who started off with Cases but I think ended up with a little Cat. His office was the bar of the Palm Beach pub on the Gold Coast and all he professed to know about dozers was you turn the key to start it and this here lever makes the blade go up and down....and angle and tilts it if you need to.

He had no understanding whatever of his contrarotating track system on the Case....only that it worked well most of the time but cost him lots of money when he had to pay to fix it.

What that bloke couldn't do with spreading top soil and general finish work on batters and such wasn't worth doing. He was exeptional and shows you can't make generalisations as to what makes a "good operator".....I think he knew how to use a grease gun but thats about as far as it went.

olderndirt

#4 Utilizing the machine without beating the crap out of it.

Example: Not running over rocks, not spinning the tracks and coming to a complete stop before reversing directions.

I suppose if you are running Komatsu junk this would be the case, but as far as I know in over 40 years of equipment operation if they can't run over rocks, spin their wheels occasionally or come to a complete stop before changing directions they may as well stay on the dealers lot 'cuz they are no damned good anyway.

KY Jim

Occupation
Scrub Puller, there's Exceptions to every rule, except those made by God.
KY Jim

BlackbeardMX

Started reading this thread, got to the third page and found a Personal Sore Spot. Had to Rant so I could Read On. One of our Foreman types was complaining (and I don't blame him a BIT! BT,DT, myself) about the younger guys having no Common Sense, generally. Around here in East Kentucky the strips have FLATLY REFUSED to train anyone except a Boss's Son or Brother since 1`978. Since coal is the only Industry worthy of the name here, that slams the door in the faces of a whole generation, myself included. They just continue working the Old Hands they trained in the early Seventies til they die or get disabled. In the meantime, the kids Give Up because they KNOW BETTER than to even ASK for a job, and sell pills to make a buck. And the Old Hands Pass On, and take ALL that Invaluable Knowledge To The GRAVE. This sets my rear AFLAME, because it is a STUPID WASTE on both ends, a Waste of a kid's Potential and Life, and a Waste of an Old Hand's Hard-Won Knowledge, and therefore HIS life, as well. Now the strips CAN'T get Trainees because they've said NO far too long, now nobody can pass a drug test, and everyone who could has LEFT the country.Except me, of course. So all you Old Hands, I know, we're Major Pains in the butt, but we're all the Fresh Meat you got. Who taught YOU your job? Well, that should show you that TEACHING is ALSO a part of the job. You've MADE your Reps and Livings, now Pass It On to the Next Gen! Where will the Next Generation of Dirt Wizards come from if YOU Old Merlins don't TRAIN them?! The Knowledge and Experience locked inside those hammer heads is MUCH more valuable than your company's assets, because it's Priceless and IRREPLACEABLE. THINK on it a minute before you side-step the decelerator. These senseless, ignorant KIDS are YOUR LEGACY. You take Pride in your work, well, you best be seeing to your Legacy, cause think what people will say when you DON'T Teach: 'Man, that youngster on that 9 just SUCKS! He can't even steer with the blade! And he's trying to cut the whole hill to grade all at once! I thought ol' So-and-So TRAINED him! He must not have been as Good as we thought he was, that kid sure is sorry!' Personally, I have the First Two, I know the machine, I can push the shot, scale the wall, run the fill, build roads, none WELL, because I can't get the CHANCE to be Coached Up by an Old Hand who I can Look Up To and Aspire to. But I CAN hook my winch to another and Head Over the Side, pushing brush. I have the NERVE, that's no Problem, I just substitute Calculated Insanity when I get scared, and Keep Pushin'. But I don't have the Mindset, the Patience, for Yo-yoing. After I hit the sixth stump in five feet I get Ill, after 30 minutes I'm mad enough to bite the heads off Grade 8 bolts. That's why I'm the Lowboy Driver now. But ALL the Pushers, my Boss included, would rather have ME on the ledge holding them than anyone they know. But I need to acquire the Third Requisite to get a full-time job on a strip. And that's IMPOSSIBLE. I ain't kin to anyone, and I have no Suction. No job, no Education. Catch-22. So all you Bosses and other Old Hands, look at it from another viewpoint. If you teach these boys AND GIRLS the RIGHT way to work, they'll make a much FINER tombstone than ANY stone-cutter could EVER do. Likewise, if you keep it to yourself, when you die, you are TRULY DEAD and Gone. But if you Pass It On, that Knowledge will NEVER die, and so you will become Immortal. That's why I Purely LOVE these boards, ACME, ACMOC, and this one, and guys like Deas Plant and Old Magnet. Oh, Sure, the computer is Taking Over. Fellers, the computer is a MECHANICAL BRAIN. It BREAKS DOWN. What do you do THEN, if no one kicked and cussed you and MADE you LEARN to Do It RIGHT? Heh heh, I guess you just Shut 'er Down, grab your slop bucket and go to The House. Oh YEAH, now, THAT'S something to be PROUD of. I'm Too Old, now, nobody is going to give me the chance to FINALLY Learn and Earn, my life has been wasted in Trucks, and scraping to keep the lights on, or a car running, or a job fit to get up and go to, but I never sold or did dope. That's why my newest vehicle is an '89, and my kids live in a house that's good enough to store hay in. But it was always my Dream to be an Ace dozerman, hoeman, loaderman, and loose-line skinner, just like MY Old Man. I think I've almost made the SuperTrucker part on my own, because I can now look at a place, KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that I or anyone else CAN NOT put a truck in there, and DO IT ANYWAY. Hey, what boy worth his salt don't want to be AT LEAST As Good As His Old Man? But I'll never make the Dozer Ace part, I won't live long enough.... HOWEVER, if I ever get the Chance, I WILL be all over it like yellow paint on a D10. Sorry for the long post, but this subject REALLY sticks in my craw.
KY Jim

I thought I was the only one in this world that felt this way. I skipped to here from about page 5. There is wayyy too much good information that dies with the old timers. They whine about the younger generation not knowing anything, but will not teach us.

Galute

It's not always the fault of the oldtimers. Teaching requires having a student willing to learn. I find that now a days it is common for the young operators hat size to go up a few notches as soon as you put them on a big expensive piece of equipment. After a month or so on a machine they are nine foot tall and bullet proof and any attempt to help them with advise will get you told where to get off old man. This usually ends up with them being the recepient of daily butt chewings from the boss and lots of smiles from me. I am always willing to help out a new operator, even to the point of standing up to the boss and telling him I told him to do it that way, which usually stops the butt chewing right there. I will not however be disrespected while trying to help someone out. At that point, they are on their own. There are some good young operators out there that are eager to learn and I love working with them, but sadly, a lot are not.

jughead

Occupation
retired
this old man isnt even a good lever puller. i have seen this in other professions as well. well said Galute

BlackbeardMX

It's not always the fault of the oldtimers. Teaching requires having a student willing to learn. I find that now a days it is common for the young operators hat size to go up a few notches as soon as you put them on a big expensive piece of equipment. After a month or so on a machine they are nine foot tall and bullet proof and any attempt to help them with advise will get you told where to get off old man. This usually ends up with them being the recepient of daily butt chewings from the boss and lots of smiles from me. I am always willing to help out a new operator, even to the point of standing up to the boss and telling him I told him to do it that way, which usually stops the butt chewing right there. I will not however be disrespected while trying to help someone out. At that point, they are on their own. There are some good young operators out there that are eager to learn and I love working with them, but sadly, a lot are not.

Yeah, that's a good point too. I work alone right now because I haven't found anybody that is capable (or willing) of learning what they need to know to work here. Wish I could find somebody that was just like me when I was 18 years old.:)

KY Jim

Occupation
Galute, I've seen THAT, too, and never fear, I jump them punks, too! An outfit has a LOT of cash tied up in the Iron and fuel alone, and if you ain't MAN enough to leave your little Attitude and the Foolish part of your Pride AT HOME then you don't need a Job, you need a keeper. When you set that dinner bucket on there and turn that key, it ain't about YOU anymore. It's About Production, and ANYTHING that cuts Production, like Too Proud to Take Coaching/Assistance, Too Conceited to Make Mistakes, or Smarter Than The Boss has no place on the Hill. Or In The Pit. Perhaps my own conceit/Pride would be a Positive, as I want to be The Best, regardless of the money. But being The Best is a lot MORE than being good with the machine. You have to know the Job, too, and a good overview of the 'Big Picture' is good, too. I say this because I have worked for too many people who refused to tell workers any more than what was required by their particular job, and this is a GUARANTEE for Misinterpretation and Obfuscation. The more I know about the Big Picture, the more likely I am to CORRECTLY interpret the Bosses Orders. I like this, because I fly Plumb OFF when I screw up, especially when it's a Communications problem. If my Buddy screws up that's O.K., he's Only Human, we'll try it again. When I screw up, Oh, Man, it's Katy Bar the Door! Because as we all know, screwups cost Time and Fuel, which equals Money, and make us look like excrement. Well, you can't be The Best and look like a turd.
KY Jim