• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3 things to know to operate

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
The first day I worked for a construction company in Westchester County, I walked to the truck and went to check the oil. I was stopped by the shop steward and told that was not my job, it was the "oiler's". His job was to grease everything and check the oil in the morning. He did light mechanical work the rest of the day.

Not every company I worked for had oilers, just the larger ones. If you were on a job site and someone left a tool in your way, you couldn't pick it up and move it, a laborer had to. The unions in NYC and Westchester County are very tight and make a big issue of a guy doing something outside of his job description, regardless of how slight it seemed.

Amazing.....
IMHO, its things like this that give unions a bad name.
We all have 1 common goal at the job site.
Thats to safely and efficiently complete the job on or ahead of schedule.
I'll be the first one to jump down in a trench if thats what needs to be done.
I really don't care if it upsets someone.
I've dealt with these cry babies before and I'll deal with them in the future.
Maybe I've done too many of my own jobs to be able to comply with anybodies "you cant do that" rules.
I know one thing, I'll never sit in my seat waiting for someone to move a shovel or tool when I could have done it myself.
Wasted time and money on things like this is what makes company's go broke. Maybe its the scab in me....but I'll tell you what....
I'll always do what it takes to make sure my job gets done, my equipment keeps running and my customer makes money.
If I fail to do this and to have this kind of attitude, I stand a chance to loose money.
Like it or not, this works for me, and has for over 20 years.
There's always calls into the office from clients/customers/contractors and superintendents requesting me for a job.
It makes my bosses happy and makes me money.
And thats what it's all about. :drinkup
:cool2

BrianHay

Maybe I should have added a little more to my last post. If it sounded like I am a check nothing know nothing type of operator it's not the case. I know the equipment I operate very well and take good care of it. And because a company has fuel/lube guys does not mean they want a no mind at the controls. It just means they don't have to worry about the slackers that may not give the machine enough love when it comes to grease and oil....I know some will say "I wouldn't have a guy that slacked on it like that, he would be fired." But good luck with that when you have a couple hundred pieces of iron, a large turn over rate and many peaces just siting because you cant find ANY operators for them. The machines are running and ready to go when the operators show up. Most have small log books (for lack of a better term) that the operators fill out daily to report how the machine is operating/functioning. Those are handed in for the mechanics weekly, or sooner if needed.

I have also worked for the smaller companies were I was operator, maintenance man, mechanic, grade man..and anything else you can think of involved with the job. I remember one time in particular I was the only machine on the job (almost always was) and I lost the front transmission in a TS-14. I was only a few miles from the shop so I limped her home. I rounded up the bosses son (he was 14 at the time, only one around the yard) and we swapped out a transmission from a parts machine and I was on my way back to work in a couple hours.

I can also relate to what Deas said. I was working for a high ball outfit on a 637 one time and my transmissions went out of sync. The mechanic was near by so I went over to see him. The foreman came over and lost it. Started yelling around about wasting time and the machine was still capable of moving so get it going. The mechanic and I tried to tell him it was just the brain box in the back and would only take a few minutes to swap for the spare the mechanic had. He wouldn't have it and sent me back out to run it the way it was. It was real deep muck between the cut and the main haul road and I couldn't get through with a full load in the shape the machine was in. So I was taking half loads and just barely making it through. Well that got him mad to. "Fill that thing up! GO GO GO!" I tried to explain but it was falling on deaf ears...your tongue will make you deaf eh lol this guy never stopped screaming long enough to hear anything. So I heaped her up and spent about 2 of the next 3 hours waiting for cats to push me. What a waste. I finally got mad enough and bored with waiting for the cats I went and seen the mechanic anyways and we both told him were to go when he pulled up. 10 minutes later I was high balling with a full load again.

Yes I think a good operator should Know more then just how to operate his machine. Doesn't mater weather you maintain your own machine or not, the more you know the more your worth.

Deas Plant

Happy Collecting.

Hi, Squizzy.
Good point, Mate, but happy collecting. This situation reminds me a bit of the old recipe for making rabbit pie that starts off, "First catch your rabbit."

I too have worked on union jobs where an operator was not supposed to check anything or grease anything. Most of the major construction sites that I have been on and most of the mines that I have worked in have been like this. Unless the machine was already running when I got to it or the service truck was about to arrive, I always checked it over before starting. I was working on the principle that the First Rule Of Anything Is C.Y.A. - Cover Your 'Delicate Posterior'. I still do. I don't like anyone lunching on my fundamental orifice. :ban LOL.

I too get a goodly number of customers asking for me personally when they book a job. I can assure you it ain't for my good looks. Any future lady in my life will need to have enough of them for both of us 'cos I'm just a trifle deficient in that department. Not Quasimodo, but hardly Robert Redford either. LOL.

d4c24a

unions

i know things are a bit different in the UK but when i was a lad i can remember the news coverage of the strikes, flying pickets,British coal ,British Lelyand ,British steel ,British railways etc power cuts rubbish piling high in the streets riots etc ,Maggie thatcher stood up to the unions ,and the unions lost i personally think it did our country good as the union run loss making companies could not survive without major change, i am not saying unions are bad now although i think they were back then. i have never thought strike action solved anything all it seemed to do was cost a company struggling to survive more money and down time,yes i can understand a walkout on safety grounds but not when a company needs to reduce a workforce to survive i am 39 now and have never been asked if i am a member of a union at any workplace just goes to show how different our countries are
thanks graham

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
Deas
I guess I like to get people to think, must be why. I have said that knowing the mechanics makes them a better employee. And yes they can sure save a big dollar failure. But my whole point is to operate you don't need to know nothin about how the machines inners work.
I guess it would be better if we were all playing in the dirt rather than at a keyboard. We all might even get along just great then.

Deas Plant

The WHOLE Point.

Hi, Dozer 575.
The way I see it, the WHOLE point is that experienced people almost always make the best operators and I have yet to meet an EXPERIENCED operator who didn't have at least a fair understanding of the workings of his machine. It just goes with spending enough time in the saddle to get the experience.

The other WHOLE point seems to be that you have a swag of axes to grind and that most of those axes seem to relate to not liking Caterpillar for some reason or reasons best known only to yourself. That is all very well and good and you are entitled to that view. However, it has gotten a little beyond a joke now, as JeffD pointed out in the 'China Dozer' thread. Your post statistics make for a LITTLE bit of interesting reading as they seem to bear out the 'axe to grind' statement.

You have talked a LOT of utter garbage about them being unstable on side slopes and otherwise dangerous. As I understand it, the high sprocket drive Cat crawlers all still pass the U.S Military side tipping standard of 45 degrees just like their oval track predeccessors. Most people will press the 'chicken switch' a fair bit before a crawler gets to that slope and most if not all crawlers, high sprocket or oval track, will slide before they get to 45 deg., usually at about 1 1/2 to 1 or roughly 32 - 35 deg..

So how are the high sprocket drives more likely to tip sideways than the oval track machines? No, I don't want to hear your answers. I've heard them all before and I still do not believe them 'cos I've had my ample butt in many seats on both types of crawler and I have the experience to tell me that your aren't telling it as it IS but rather as you wish it was.

You can do what you like but I for one will not be answering any more of your posts as you seem to make a habit of making inflammatory statements and then 'crying innocent' that you didn't mean to stir the pot. That behaviour is not acceptable in my book. I would congratulate you if you did get people to think but you mostly seem to cause animosity.

However, if people want to ask me what I think of some post or other that you have put up, I WILL tell them my views, honestly and bluntly, while remaining polite.

You have a wonderful life, D8Bob. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

LDK

Deas, well put. I left off checking in on this forum for a month or more, I was getting sick of reading some of the crap that was posted. I don't mind reading the posts that have come from people that are obviusly a little green but do not profess to be something they aren't, but I do have a hard time with people that make out that they are experts, when the verbal diarrhea they spout does not add credence to the image they are trying to portray.

I am not the CAT fanatic that I was for a good 30 years, in the last 10 years I have become very open minded (in my opinion) and acknowledge the fact that different brands have their strengths and failings and I don't believe that CAT or Komatsu have cornered the market in either category. I never think of the hi-drives as being top heavy and have never felt nervy on slopes with them, their is a lot of fresh air under some of those panels! I have never felt like I was loosing traction because of the elevated sprocket either when compared to the standard track models.

I'm currently running a D6R with 600 hours on it and a new D8T. The 6 has the ACERT engine, it is the best D6 I have ever used, a good tractor, it could be better and later models probably will be, because they have to compete with the 61 komatsu, which is an awesome tractor and that is the beauty of competition, the manufactures have to keep their eye on the ball.

Their I have had my say!!

Deas Plant

Tell It Like It Is.

Hi, LDK.
Welcome back. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the content of some posts put up here by some (about one) people who shall be nameless because to name them would contravene site rules. I for one am through with being diplomatic with this particular individual. If I reckon a post they've put up is garbage, I'm going to say so and give my reasons for saying it.

I'm not here to make a 'good feller' of myself. I'm here because people come here looking for help and I can't see any point in my spending the last 42-odd years gathering experience and information just to take it to the grave with me. For the same reason, where I see a post that I believe is incorrect, I will say so, diplomatically if possible. Where I see a post that is utter garbage, like some we could both point to, I am from here on going to say that as well. If this happens to upset a certain member with a large number in his nickname, so be it and TUFF!!!!!!!

I would also point out that this particular member has irritated a LOT of people on other forums under another name and came here using a name that was not known - at the time. It's well enough known now. Just in case this said member hasn't noticed, I put my own name to all my posts, the same name that is in the phone book and on the electoral roll because I believe in putting my name to what I post. I'm not criticising anybody who chooses to use a nickname. It is simply my personal choice not to use one.

So what is the point of saying the above? The point is this. IF this particular member has the courage of their convictions and truly believes that he/she is right and correct in everything that they post, are they game to come out and put their REAL name to THEIR posts?

Will the REAL high sprocket drive hater please stand up?

WScott

Deas
I guess I like to get people to think, must be why. I have said that knowing the mechanics makes them a better employee. And yes they can sure save a big dollar failure. But my whole point is to operate you don't need to know nothin about how the machines inners work.
I guess it would be better if we were all playing in the dirt rather than at a keyboard. We all might even get along just great then.

Many moons ago ( young and stupid) i got bored pushing pans with my d9 and decided to smooth the 2.5:1 slope wow. there were more white hats around me before I could get thru with one pass.
I was informed that d9s did not have baffles in the oil pan and i was in danger of locking up the motor to get my rear off of the slope and do what i was hired to do... push pans.. let the d6 clean the slope.

I have since then learned many things about the inners of many machines..

Deas Plant

Young and stupid and no baffles.

Hi, WScott.
Welcome to this little corner of cyberspace, a haven for machinery lovers of all races and religions, provided for us by Steve Frazier. Thank you, Steve.

I dunno about no baffles in the sump/oil pan but I do know that I have spent more than just a few minutes with D9G's and H's side-cutting some fairly steep slopes and never siezed an engine or anything else on any of them. I even took an angle-blade bobtail D9G up an 8 foot vertical wall one night and, to the best of my knowledge, the oil pressure never faltered. Mind you. I did have my mind on other things at the time.

Even though the D9's were higher, I always felt at least as comfortable with them on batters as I did with the D8H's and K's. I suspect that the much heavier undercarriage on the D9's may have played a fair part in their stability. Having said that, I once ran a D9G with a fairly heavy timber canopy that was about 18" higher than it really needed to be. There were 'clench' marks, about the same appearance as a deep sea squid's sucker mark, on the seat cushion a couple of times, until I got used to it. I am also firmly convinced that I have side-cut steeper batters with open-topped machines than ever I have with ROPS-equipped machines. But I was also younger when I was running the open-topped machines. 'Nuff said?

WScott

Hi, WScott.
Welcome to this little corner of cyberspace, a haven for machinery lovers of all races and religions, provided for us by Steve Frazier. Thank you, Steve.

I dunno about no baffles in the sump/oil pan but I do know that I have spent more than just a few minutes with D9G's and H's side-cutting some fairly steep slopes and never siezed an engine or anything else on any of them. I even took an angle-blade bobtail D9G up an 8 foot vertical wall one night and, to the best of my knowledge, the oil pressure never faltered. Mind you. I did have my mind on other things at the time.

Even though the D9's were higher, I always felt at least as comfortable with them on batters as I did with the D8H's and K's. I suspect that the much heavier undercarriage on the D9's may have played a fair part in their stability. Having said that, I once ran a D9G with a fairly heavy timber canopy that was about 18" higher than it really needed to be. There were 'clench' marks, about the same appearance as a deep sea squid's sucker mark, on the seat cushion a couple of times, until I got used to it. I am also firmly convinced that I have side-cut steeper batters with open-topped machines than ever I have with ROPS-equipped machines. But I was also younger when I was running the open-topped machines. 'Nuff said?

thank you for the nice welcome
Maybe I should clarify my above statement. I was running sideways on the slope with the d9:beatsme Whether its true or not about the oil I dunno. I know I never did it again.:(

Deas Plant

Clarification.

Hi, WScott.
Maybe I should clarify my above statement too. I was running sideways on the slope with the D9's as well. I spent a fair bit of time on various jobs side-cutting batters up to 1 1/2 in 1 with both D8's and D9's and never had an engine oil pressure problem or a seizure.

And you're welcome to the welcome.

WScott

whaaaaaaaaaaaat:eek:
You mean ive been tramuatized all this time from that...
Man I was 18 and scared to death that i might lose my job.

Deas Plant

On being scared of losing job and being traumatised

Hi, WScott.
All I know is that I have never had an engine seize while side-cutting batters or lost a job for side-cutting them either.

And I've never been traumatised about either of the above either.

Either this post is finished or it's not. Either way, I'm posting it now. And you'll either like it or you won't.

WScott

Hi, WScott.
All I know is that I have never had an engine seize while side-cutting batters or lost a job for side-cutting them either.

And I've never been traumatised about either of the above either.

Either this post is finished or it's not. Either way, I'm posting it now. And you'll either like it or you won't.

I AM believing you, thats the point I am disappointed in the fact that I was wrongly attacked.

Chill out man.
Ill take this to a pm.

Deas Plant

No 'chill pills' needed.

Hi, WScott.
No 'chill pills' needed, Mate. That was just my warped sense of humour at work. I had put a few 'eithers' in the main part of the message, so I thought I would see how many more I could get in there.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. You may take the first two sentences of my signature as my true intent to you.

jughead

Occupation
retired
3 things

first i love this board. spent my life bending wrenches on smaller stuff. always loved heavy equipment i have used some of it for a friend for the last 10 years. it is a lot of fun but his work is not as demanding as what i am reading here. if i had started 50 yrs. ago i believe i would still just be a lever puller. this is a great site and i have learned a lot that i have been doing wrong in just a few short weeks. keep up the good work.

KY Jim

Occupation
Heavy Equipment hauler, Dozer operator
Started reading this thread, got to the third page and found a Personal Sore Spot. Had to Rant so I could Read On. One of our Foreman types was complaining (and I don't blame him a BIT! BT,DT, myself) about the younger guys having no Common Sense, generally. Around here in East Kentucky the strips have FLATLY REFUSED to train anyone except a Boss's Son or Brother since 1`978. Since coal is the only Industry worthy of the name here, that slams the door in the faces of a whole generation, myself included. They just continue working the Old Hands they trained in the early Seventies til they die or get disabled. In the meantime, the kids Give Up because they KNOW BETTER than to even ASK for a job, and sell pills to make a buck. And the Old Hands Pass On, and take ALL that Invaluable Knowledge To The GRAVE. This sets my rear AFLAME, because it is a STUPID WASTE on both ends, a Waste of a kid's Potential and Life, and a Waste of an Old Hand's Hard-Won Knowledge, and therefore HIS life, as well. Now the strips CAN'T get Trainees because they've said NO far too long, now nobody can pass a drug test, and everyone who could has LEFT the country.Except me, of course. So all you Old Hands, I know, we're Major Pains in the butt, but we're all the Fresh Meat you got. Who taught YOU your job? Well, that should show you that TEACHING is ALSO a part of the job. You've MADE your Reps and Livings, now Pass It On to the Next Gen! Where will the Next Generation of Dirt Wizards come from if YOU Old Merlins don't TRAIN them?! The Knowledge and Experience locked inside those hammer heads is MUCH more valuable than your company's assets, because it's Priceless and IRREPLACEABLE. THINK on it a minute before you side-step the decelerator. These senseless, ignorant KIDS are YOUR LEGACY. You take Pride in your work, well, you best be seeing to your Legacy, cause think what people will say when you DON'T Teach: 'Man, that youngster on that 9 just SUCKS! He can't even steer with the blade! And he's trying to cut the whole hill to grade all at once! I thought ol' So-and-So TRAINED him! He must not have been as Good as we thought he was, that kid sure is sorry!' Personally, I have the First Two, I know the machine, I can push the shot, scale the wall, run the fill, build roads, none WELL, because I can't get the CHANCE to be Coached Up by an Old Hand who I can Look Up To and Aspire to. But I CAN hook my winch to another and Head Over the Side, pushing brush. I have the NERVE, that's no Problem, I just substitute Calculated Insanity when I get scared, and Keep Pushin'. But I don't have the Mindset, the Patience, for Yo-yoing. After I hit the sixth stump in five feet I get Ill, after 30 minutes I'm mad enough to bite the heads off Grade 8 bolts. That's why I'm the Lowboy Driver now. But ALL the Pushers, my Boss included, would rather have ME on the ledge holding them than anyone they know. But I need to acquire the Third Requisite to get a full-time job on a strip. And that's IMPOSSIBLE. I ain't kin to anyone, and I have no Suction. No job, no Education. Catch-22. So all you Bosses and other Old Hands, look at it from another viewpoint. If you teach these boys AND GIRLS the RIGHT way to work, they'll make a much FINER tombstone than ANY stone-cutter could EVER do. Likewise, if you keep it to yourself, when you die, you are TRULY DEAD and Gone. But if you Pass It On, that Knowledge will NEVER die, and so you will become Immortal. That's why I Purely LOVE these boards, ACME, ACMOC, and this one, and guys like Deas Plant and Old Magnet. Oh, Sure, the computer is Taking Over. Fellers, the computer is a MECHANICAL BRAIN. It BREAKS DOWN. What do you do THEN, if no one kicked and cussed you and MADE you LEARN to Do It RIGHT? Heh heh, I guess you just Shut 'er Down, grab your slop bucket and go to The House. Oh YEAH, now, THAT'S something to be PROUD of. I'm Too Old, now, nobody is going to give me the chance to FINALLY Learn and Earn, my life has been wasted in Trucks, and scraping to keep the lights on, or a car running, or a job fit to get up and go to, but I never sold or did dope. That's why my newest vehicle is an '89, and my kids live in a house that's good enough to store hay in. But it was always my Dream to be an Ace dozerman, hoeman, loaderman, and loose-line skinner, just like MY Old Man. I think I've almost made the SuperTrucker part on my own, because I can now look at a place, KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that I or anyone else CAN NOT put a truck in there, and DO IT ANYWAY. Hey, what boy worth his salt don't want to be AT LEAST As Good As His Old Man? But I'll never make the Dozer Ace part, I won't live long enough.... HOWEVER, if I ever get the Chance, I WILL be all over it like yellow paint on a D10. Sorry for the long post, but this subject REALLY sticks in my craw.
KY Jim