• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

275,00 on F350 7.3 ?? Too many ? What would you do ?

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Usually the mods or adding a chip will improve the mileage over stock.

Timberking

Occupation
Logger-- Owner/Operator
I checked the hubs and they are unlocked, both drive axle shafts spin freely. Brakes arnt draging any as i spun tires while jacked up. Axle tag lists it as a 7.73 ratio. I wouldnt expect injectors or hpop as I have no loss of power. I did notice a slight fuel seep out of the top of the fuel filter, am gonna replace tomorrow afternoon, led me to believe that the filter hasnt been changed in a while but wouldnt a clogged filter cause loss of power ? and if restricting fuel, i would'nt emagine it to cause the engine to burn more fuel ? Ands its a MINNOR fuel seep. The only other thing i can think of is the turbo actuwaiter, not building proper boost maybe ? Thanks for all your input fellas, this one has got me a little stumped,lol. Either way, extremely happy with the truck.

Timberking

Occupation
Logger-- Owner/Operator
Oh, and DELMER, i replaced the thermostat as i tuned her up as well, running at proper operating temperature.

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
My current work truck is an 01 with 328,000 on the ticker. I can only get about 16mpg at best and it has hit 11.8 mpg a few times towing a trailer and when feeling froggy on the interstates. She's the oldest highest mileage truck in the company's fleet and has no signs of slowing down. My 2002 Excursion routinely got 14 around town. Both of these are 3:73 4x4 trucks.

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
Got a 97 F350 4x4 4dr long bed with 355k on it. I would not sell for a penny less than $7500.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
7.73 gears?? There's your problem!! :wink2

Probably 3.73 gears which is what my '01 F350 4x4 has. I get 14 to 15 around town, 16.5 on a trip at 80mph. You ought to be doing better than what you posted.

denver m farms

Occupation
Farmer/cattle buyer/ construction/excavating
At what you paid for it mpg isn't much of a problem I would say. Is it an automatic? You may have said but I didn't see where you had.

Timberking

Occupation
Logger-- Owner/Operator
Just wanted to update you guys !!

I solved the fuel millage problem a while back. It turns out the truck was burning oil ( or oil going somewhere) I tore into her and found one of the injector seals had went bad !
She was pressurizing oil into my fuel rail and causing a pressure loss at the oil end of the injectors.

$106.00 at the ford dealer got me 8 new sets of injector O-rings. Installed them and she runs like a top !
Better fuel millage definitely and even a tiny tiny bit more power it feels.
Alll in all im extremely happy with her.

We have taken her on 3 trips now to pickup equipment. all being several hour trips to and from while all being very heavy pulls...

JDOFMEMI

Well, you certainly got a deal there. Glad you got the problem sorted out. What did your mileage do after the fix?

Feel good that you have another 300 to 400 thousand miles of life left in it.

global2957

I agree with all my ford vans have 290,000 and 298,000 change the oil and it will run, if you are unsure pull a valve cover and look for varnish in the valve head, if it is clean you have some life left. the best way is to pill the pan but I do not know if you can do that Good luck

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
My company truck is up to 360,000 now. I put 39,000 on it this year and the quarter mod under one of the UVCH's has been my only hiccup this year engine wise. The truck had a new bedside put on it, tires, rear leaf springs, front end work, brakes, serpentine belt and basic maintenance. So we put about f $4k into this year and I feel its poised to go another 100,000 miles with a good cost per dollar number attached to it.

Some would say heck with that, putting $4K into a truck that old is a waste but I will stand by it. I believe the 7.3 PSD is about as good as it gets for going the distance economically.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
My company truck is up to 360,000 now. I put 39,000 on it this year and the quarter mod under one of the UVCH's has been my only hiccup this year engine wise. The truck had a new bedside put on it, tires, rear leaf springs, front end work, brakes, serpentine belt and basic maintenance. So we put about f $4k into this year and I feel its poised to go another 100,000 miles with a good cost per dollar number attached to it.

Some would say heck with that, putting $4K into a truck that old is a waste but I will stand by it. I believe the 7.3 PSD is about as good as it gets for going the distance economically.

I sure won't argue that. Since my '99 is now a backup truck for me and GN puller for my wife these days, it only got 5k miles put on it this year. Before spring I'll be having the frontend rebuilt, a bit of body work and tracking down an annoying oil leak. I met a guy at the diesel drags that has a bunch of take-out seats and I can get King Ranch front and rear sets with the console for $700. At 304k miles this truck still runs great and as far as I'm concerned it's a worthwhile investment to spruce it up.