• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

275,00 on F350 7.3 ?? Too many ? What would you do ?

Timberking

Occupation
Logger-- Owner/Operator
hey guys, I'v got a chance to buy an F350 Quad cab 4x4 flatbed in pretty decent shape, the problem is its got 275,000 miles on what i believe is original everything. I can get it at a really good deal and the hard part is I have to make my decision tomorrow. So it leave's me with little to no time to think on it. What you guys think ? could it hold out for a lil while longer. Owner says it was maintained properly but you know how that goes, can never be sure.. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
If the body and everything else are in good shape the engine has some life in it. A friend of mine bought a 99 with 300k and I think he had to put a trans in it. If you aren't afraid to put some money into it if you need to it could be a good deal. I kinda doubt the trans is original but it could be.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
The 7.3 was a great engine.

If you can get it for a good price, you have some room to spend some and end up with a great truck.

I'd go for it.

Good luck

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
It all depends on the price..

AlldayRJ

You could spend a few grand quick on front end parts, brakes, starter, alt, batteries etc. not to mention a trans or motor. Better be a great deal. Just remember its possibly a 15 year old truck

Joeyslushr

There a few around here that have had tough lives with 400k. I've got one over 300k and if I hadn't started truck pulling with it it would pry still be all original. If it's a super duty I wouldn't be afraid of it

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I didn't know 275,000 was suppose to be a lot... Its a diesel if the price is right get it. Hell the 7.3 is the best engine Ford ever had. Now it is an old truck so don't be surprised if it needs a grand put into it to be 100%.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I have owned 18 of the 7.3 diesel Fords. All had over 235,000 miles when I bought them. I ran most of them up to around 300,000, then sold them. Many were sold to friends of mine, so I have kept up with how they are doing. I know of 10 or 11 of them that are now over 500,000 miles and running strong.
You might need to put a couple of thousand into things like belts, tensioner pulleys, brakes and glow plug relays. But, if the price is right, I would grab it before someone else beats you to it. Great trucks that will run almost forever.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
I gave my wife my '99 with 298,000 on it to tow her GN horse trailer. I towed with it every work day until the end of last summer. It still runs great!

Timberking

Occupation
Logger-- Owner/Operator
Appreciate all the feed back everyone. But I'v got a story for you guys, lol. So early this mourning I decided to go with it and drive up, check it out a little more, bit the bullet, pay for it and drive it home. The problem is, I never made it that far. We drove the first hour or so and happen across an f250 4x4 7.3 crew cab In this little hole in the wall town out side of Columbus, sittin on the side of the road. Decided we would swing back around just to take a peak because it looked like a hell of a sharp truck. Old man comes out while lookin in the window, throws me the key and says fire her up. Long story short, I bought it cold hard cash right there on the spot. 2001 7.3 4x4 crew cab short bed with 109,347 ORIGINAL miles for $5,900.00 the truck is MINT!!! It was almost to good to be true and thought there has to be something wrong, drove her 132 miles back home and around this evening and purrs like a kitten, drives like a brand new truck. Found an inch thick booklet of receipts in the dash from services at the dealer ( all oil and fluid changes, maintenance) everything works perfect, its really like a brand new truck ! Never in my life did i think i would come across a deal so bitter sweet !! Absolute real talk true story boys !!

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
That's a smokin deal! I would have jumped in that even tho I don't need another truck haha. Congrats!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That's a smokin deal! I would have jumped in that even tho I don't need another truck haha. Congrats!

Me too. I would have bought it as well and the last thing I need is another vehicle!

Congrats! :drinkup

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Congrats I love the old 7.3s they just don't make power like the new common rails though.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
great buy! I would have drove it home too :)

but to answer the OP I am with the majority on this one, there is ALMOST no such thing as too many miles on a 7.3 lol

pj

Timberking

Occupation
Logger-- Owner/Operator
Ok, another question.. So i'v tuned her up (oil, fluids and so on ). And have already put a few hundred miles on her and she drive's and runs like a dream. Start's right up even in this cold weather (been 4 degrees a couple mournings) has plenty of power, just all in all runs smooth and nice. But im getting 10 maybe 12 miles to the gallon empty ! Driving like im 80 years old ! My old 7.3 got a little under 17 but I had it modded. Its completely bone stock so shouldnt i be getting somewhere around 15 ? She has plenty of power, no smoke what so ever, even when throttled and only has 265/70/17's on it. What do you guys think ? i mean, I'm happy either way I guess but i figured id see atleast 13 or 14...

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Since it is a 4x4, you are moving around more weight. It might also have differentials that are set up with lower gearing. The 4x4 F250 diesels I had always got worse fuel mileage, than the two-wheel drive ones I owned.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
for the most part yes you should be getting better ( or at least mine always did) one thing to check is to make sure your hubs arent locked in even though they are probably automatic make sure they arent spinning more weight than necesarry. as mowing man said its hard to say what gears and such. what's your RPM's rolling at 60mph

btw. i know that everyone including myself believe that 4x4's get worse economy but can anyone actually copy n paste a study ? i know dodge did cross country test many years ago about tailgate up vs down and turned out that tailgate UP reduced a vacum and kept from pulling on the truck, hence the reason the "air net" tailgates didnt last long lol

pj

Delmer

How's the heater (thermostat) work? Any brakes dragging? Not much that can cause mileage to drop like that. You're not taking real short trips? How you figuring mileage?