• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1998 cat D5M price

Rickyb1968

Looking at a 1998 Cat with 5000 hours on it. No big repairs have been made outside of new track rollers. I have a friend that has same dozer that burned and it has new tracks and sprockets. That I can get for salvage price of dozer. Hoping to get dozer for 49,000 if it checks out with a cat tech. This a good price for a good dozer. Trying to see what price range I need to be in. Thanks

JPV

Sounds like a heck of a deal to me, those are good machines but not really comparable to a D-5g.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall the M series machines were high drive. They all were prone to electrical and electronic problems. Most of the time when I looked at them the undercarriage was worn out or there were a pile of codes coming up on the monitor panel. Actual value of the machine requires an inspection and assessment of condition. You can search prices on Machinery Trader for ball park ranges.

Rickyb1968

I have read where cat had a repair on the center pivot bearing for the blade. Can anyone explain to me how to tell if this repair has been made on this machines. Here is a photo of the area.

Attachments

• 991A5C8D-E8F2-4E93-A034-8A754ED6225D.jpeg
    991A5C8D-E8F2-4E93-A034-8A754ED6225D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
  • EA4F0366-F495-48BF-B5F8-2C5B6D220DA6.jpeg
    EA4F0366-F495-48BF-B5F8-2C5B6D220DA6.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

DozerPlowBoy

Ditto JPV. A D5G is a much smaller/ lower powered machine. Not even close. I've had very good luck with my 2001 D5M. Owned since new. There's a reason why it's hard to find a low hour D5M. They don't break with reasonable care and those who own them tend to hold onto them. Most of the time a dozer that is over 100 hp will outlast a smaller machine by 2:1.

Reactions: JPV

JPV

On the center pivot repair I don't know how you can tell if it has been done other then to look at the welds on the spherical bearing to the blade and see if they don't look factory. If you don't have any vertical slop in that joint that is good. They get pretty bad, you will know when it is time but it is not easy to get the big vertical pin out. It pretty much comes out in pieces. I would highly encourage regular greasing of all the blade joints but especially that one, you really don't want to mess with it if possible.

Rickyb1968

I drove it and couldn’t see any slack in the blade, the machine was tight. Cylinders were leaking a little that pick the blade up. I’m really thinking wanting to buy it but was concerned about the pivot bearing.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have read where cat had a repair on the center pivot bearing for the blade. Can anyone explain to me how to tell if this repair has been made on this machines. Here is a photo of the area.
It would be hard to tell from the photo. You should look for any traces of chrome plating on the outside surfaces of both pins
I think this is the mod you are referring to. According to the article it applied from S/N 3RD00248, approx 30 machines after yours.
It's fair to assume that you still have the old-style pins installed.

Attachments

• SEPD0406.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 13

Rickyb1968

Well I’m going take him a check Monday. I think it’s the original pins also. This has been the best looking dozer I have looked at. I know nothing about a dozer but I can learn. Wanting to fix up some family land that I own. Haul a little gravel for folks and myself. Build some roads and clean up some old roads. Any advice on what not to do with this dozer? I have an excavator and grease it every 10 hours. Thinking this dozer should be greased the same. Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/341625314692136/

Reactions: JPV

DozerPlowBoy

I would avoid clearing big trees and brush if possible. These machines weren't really designed for that. Sure, you can nock over a 12" pine tree and push on light brush. Much more (18" oak) and you asking for trouble. These machines are more suited to finish grading. I have had good success with mine. Make sure all the maintenance is up to date. Valve train/injector adjustment recommended around 2-3k hours on the 3116. Takes special tools and knowledgeable Cat mechanic.

Nige

I have an excavator and grease it every 10 hours. Thinking this dozer should be greased the same. Any advice would be appreciated.
If there isn't an Operatrion & Maintenance Manual in the pocket behind the seat I would suggest to get one ASAP. You can download a genuine OEM Manual from the Cat interweb for $50. If you want to know how just ask.

bigbudsr67

Ricky, you can see my center pivot bearing that has been replaced to the new upgrade. The old one was a cone style that just broke apart and you could move the blade . From your pic looks like yours has been upgraded to. I have 5169 hrs on mine. Next new tracks and extended. feel free to reach out to me on any questions. bigbudsr67@gmail.com

Attachments

• IMG_5326.jpg
    IMG_5326.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

DmanD6N

I owned a 2001 D5M LGP. Put 3000 hours on it with zero issues. Cleared a lot of land, took big trees down by angling and tilting the blade to first cut the roots then the tree went down no problem. Finger tip steering worked great. I could probably freeze meat solid with the air conditioning. Great dozer!

Rickyb1968

Just talked to the guy who owned it prior to the guy I purchased from. Said the upgrade was done by him.(Bigbudsr67 you nailed it) Told me he was second owner and when he sold the dozer had 4000 hours. He said up until the time it left him it was serviced regularly. I purchased dozer for 50,000 and hope it give me years of trouble free hours. I am just a landowner so I know I want be rough with it. It’s hard to think something 25 years old is still worth that but from looking on line a lot of 5m’s are selling for 50,000 with a lot more hours. I’m going look for a hard copy operation and maintenance book. Hopefully find one at a reasonable price. Thanks for all the help and I’m sure I will have some questions in the future

Rickyb1968

Can someone explain what might be causing this leak and how it would be fixed. It looks like a idler but personally I really don’t know. Thanks

Attachments

• 0139AF30-31DC-47AB-B23C-15A5FE1FA0C0.jpeg
    0139AF30-31DC-47AB-B23C-15A5FE1FA0C0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 46

Nige

’m going look for a hard copy operation and maintenance book. Hopefully find one at a reasonable price.
You have various options to get hold of an O&M.
1. Call your Cat dealer and ask for a price on SEBU6901. You can see the list price on the illustration below. (They may quote you slightly higher because the price shown below does not include S&H.)
2. Search the usual online marketplaces for used copies of SEBU6901.
3. Buy one online from Cat Publications at https://catpublications.com/

upload_2022-4-12_21-33-35.png

Example for sale online......... https://www.ebay.com/itm/313374116370