• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1998 cat D5M price

Rickyb1968

Also key 31 has a bolt broke off the bottom. The bolt broke flush with the cap so I’m thinking when I drain the oil down I can remove the other five bolts and rotate the cap off the broken bolt. Once off should be able to remove bolt.

nicky 68a

Ricky,I note you asked about using 3rd gear in your tractor.
Don’t.
It’s highly unnecessary and will simply wreck your tracks and cause the machine to run hotter.
It’s better left in 1st and 2nd.
All my tractors are blanked off for 3rd

JPV

The only time I run third is when walking from place to place and run half throttle or so, less racket and same ground speed as second.

skyking1

I use third last weekend with that D4C, but the ground was absolutely a cushion. We're talking like driving on couch cushions but not sinking in either it was lovely.
@John C. Yes I've used third scraper pushes. The key is good ground and keeping it baby butt smooth.

Tinkerer

I rarely ever used 3rd gear.
Never in reverse.
I was told many years ago that track wear was huge when running in 3rd gear reverse.
It seems to me that if the drive sprocket is pushing the chain it would accelerate the wear as opposed to pulling it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It seems to me that if the drive sprocket is pushing the chain it would accelerate the wear as opposed to pulling it.
It's not so much that. The way the chain is constructed, with a LH/RH link plus a bush pressed together as a solid unit, there is much more rotational movement between the bush and the sprocket tooth when the track is running in reverse. Far less than in forward. That's the major wear driver of running in reverse, at least where external bush wear is concerned.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
As always, there's a Youtube video. The interesting part is a couple of mnutes from 2:10 onwards. One thing I don't think he mentioned as a wear driver, although I may have missed it, is speed.

At what point is it worth the effort and wear to turn the dozer around and drive forwards back to begin a new push? With an excavator it isn't hard to generally travel forwards, but a dozer usually has to back up nearly as much as run forward. Turning around at each end will result in steering clutch wear and lateral wear on the tracks, Is the chain and sprocket wear considered more harmful or costly than the wear from turning around? Also turning takes more time. I am relatively new to dozers and am therefore still trying to work out what the best practices are, balancing wear with productivity and such.

Reactions: DB2

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Regular use of reverse in a dozing application does increase wear compared to travel in forward, but is quantifiable only over a long period of time. The big issue becomes a problem when traveling longer distances in reverse. I've witnessed plenty of operators backing down long hills with the blade low and the machine in third gear. Third gear reverse used to be generally faster than third gear forward so plenty of operators would travel those distances in reverse. Lots of scraper work that involved poor management encouraged dozer operators to push for too long and then use third gear reverse to "catch up" to the next scraper in line. What I have also witnessed from plenty of third gear reverse operation is impact failures in the bushings and links.

The big thing to remember is that third gear does have its uses but along with that use is an additional cost. Your car can usually go 100 miles and hour. How much life do you think you use up in doing that continually?

nicky 68a

Yes John,I agree with too much long loading,then the long reverse.
It’s all well and nice loading a scraper by a nice skim like you would a towed scraper etc,but I allways liked a roughish cut so the scrapers could bury the bowl abit and gulp a short load in.Plenty of time to start longer skims during the evening when tidying up for the day

nicky 68a

At what point is it worth the effort and wear to turn the dozer around and drive forwards back to begin a new push? With an excavator it isn't hard to generally travel forwards, but a dozer usually has to back up nearly as much as run forward. Turning around at each end will result in steering clutch wear and lateral wear on the tracks, Is the chain and sprocket wear considered more harmful or costly than the wear from turning around? Also turning takes more time. I am relatively new to dozers and am therefore still trying to work out what the best practices are, balancing wear with productivity and such.
There are times when I’ve thought that too,but I’ve yet to be convinced it would be of any use other than cleaning a rough haul road up?

Rickyb1968

Can someone tell me what is going on here at the rear of machine? If you picture the rear as a clock look at 4 o’clock. If you look on the square rail running at an angle there looks to be a plug and at the end it says lube. Any idea what’s going on here.3A15E114-566B-4D7F-8C24-0AB7678F6B72.jpeg

JD955SC

One of the nice things about high drive Cats is the access/test points for checking pressure for the transmission is very accessible and it’s very easy to pull the transmission (torque converter is a whole different story).