• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1989 RD686 with EC-6 350 Fuel issues?

Shimmy1

Had a stray follow me home yesterday. Like the title says. Seems to start ok the first time, or if you shut it off without it being funky. Issue is, after about a minute or two of running, it almost seems like it is running out of fuel. Can hold the pedal full down and it doesn't do anything, eventually (after about a minute) it'll take off and run ok, then back to crap. Changed filters, both were full, but did get a sucking noise when I pulled the primary. Here are a couple pics, the return is kind of goofy, the return from the head goes to the pump, then tees and a little line crosses over to the other side, where there is a cross-looking piece where the return to tank is attached. Going to put a gauge on the supply to the main pump to check transfer pressure tomorrow.15279.jpeg15281.jpeg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Lots of collapsed hoses on them..(internal)
Main one is the long one from the tank to the 1st filter.
U could try back blowing that line incase there’s a floater..
I can’t count how many “red rags” I’ve pulled outta those tanks.!!
The supply pump is a known problem with them too..
I would mention the overflow valve but it wouldn’t be bad, then fix itself..

Shimmy1

Replaced lines from tank to primary filter, and from primary to transfer pump. Drained fuel, put in new. Blew back through suction, seemed ok. Installed gauge between secondary filter and main pump. Was a real treat to bleed, even after using air to push fuel up to the transfer pump. Got it running and thought we had it fixed. Ran it numerous times, and then a buddy showed up at about 3 pm and when I started it for him, I knew it was back to it's old tricks. Runs fine for about a minute, and then you can here a miss, if you rev it a bit, it will get progressively worse until you can hold it wide open and it just slows down and stops like you shut the fuel off. Gauge shows plenty of pressure while it does this. I did attempt to simulate fuel pressure issues by pinching off the return line to maintain pressure, didn't help at all.IMG_20240201_180930619_HDR.jpgIMG_20240201_180918928_HDR.jpg15279.jpegIMG_20240201_181149970_HDR.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
What is that green twist tie doing.??
Is there a stop screw that the throttle lever hits on at full travel.??
I can’t tell from the pic..
If there is no screw to limit the travel, it’s hitting the internal stop (inside the gov) and reducing the rpm..

Shimmy1

What is that green twist tie doing.??
Is there a stop screw that the throttle lever hits on at full travel.??
I can’t tell from the pic..
If there is no screw to limit the travel, it’s hitting the internal stop (inside the gov) and reducing the rpm..
Leave it to you to go nosing around something that isn't relevant**********

I have no good answer, that ziptie appears to be holding a shorter arm with some holes in it behind the throttle arm. I'm not in the business of messing with things, so I haven't messed with it. The stop lever works, the throttle lever works (maybe not, I guess?) so I haven't fiddled with it. There isn't any kind of stop bolt that limits the movement of the throttle arm.

This all being said, I struggle to understand how it's acting being caused by the governor. It will begin to miss (like it's running out of fuel) and then gradually the throttle will become unresponsive, and it dies. A few times, I haven't been able to replicate, if you hold it wide open, it will take off and run normally for a bit, but eventually degrades back to missing and then when you go to idle it just stops. Fuel pressure maintains the whole time.

Shimmy1

I guess I should be a little more specific, the throttle doesn't get totally unresponsive, just kind of like a PT system with air in it.......

thepumpguysc

Occupation
That shorter arm w the holes in it IS the pump throttle lever & it’s supposed to hit a stop screw..
If there’s no screw & it’s allowed to go further, it hits an internal stop and pulls the rpm’s down..

Shimmy1

That shorter arm w the holes in it IS the pump throttle lever & it’s supposed to hit a stop screw..
If there’s no screw & it’s allowed to go further, it hits an internal stop and pulls the rpm’s down..
It doesn't move. Ever. What is adjusting the rpms then?

Shimmy1

Let's assume that something is getting out of whack in the governor to cause loss of rpm control. What is causing the miss when you're just holding it right above idle, not moving the throttle?

Shimmy1

It appears that since the truck has a pto, it's a "hold" for the throttle. There's a switch in the dash that sends air to that little plunger that locks the throttle in whatever position you have it in.

Shimmy1

Ok. So, I pulled the throttle lever off, and, of course, as you already know, that little lever is the stop points for low idle/high idle. Woodruff key and the clamp bolt missing, is was just banging around on the shaft willy-nilly. I managed to locate a woodruff key, and a new clamp bolt, and put it back to where it belongs. We did all think it was idling too slow. Idles good now, haven't ran it enough to see if it does it's fit thing.

Now, the million dollar question. You have resisted commenting any further, obviously you knew something was amiss, I've resolved that. At this point, can I assume that the throttle shaft going back past idle basically uncontrolled can cause symptoms like I've described?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Your going to have to do a , no-load rpm test..
Warm up the engine, get a hand held photo tach and check the rpm at hi, with the lever hitting the stop screw.
Once that established, move the lever ever so slightly BACK off the screw and watch the rpm..
IF it increases, you’re on the internal stop..
I’m assuming someone fiddled with the stop screw and that’s why it was disconnected.. not knowing they created a bigger problem…
Next your going to have to reset that outer “break back” lever..
put the lever on, get someone to mash the pedal to the floor and see where the inner lever is in conjunction to the stop screw..
Ideally you want the inner lever hitting the stop screw and the outer lever breaking over a little..
If it breaks over to much and bottoms in its self, it’ll put to much pressure on the shaft and wear it out.. then u have oil leaks and end up pulling off the pump..
Good luck

Shimmy1

I spoke a bit with a guy at a pump shop in Devils Lake. After describing the symptoms I was having, he suggested to keep running it until the engine got good and warmed up. Unresponsive throttle, and dying when returning to idle came back. He said to get it in the rhythm of where it becomes unresponsive, and then let off a little, increase, let off, increase, let off, do that three or four times, and then let it die. Wait there by the pump and listen close, if you here a click or snap, he says there are seals around the barrel/plunger that are bad, and allowing pressure to hold up the plunger(s). Sure enough, if you can get it wound up just the right way, after it dies you can hear that click, and it'll start right up and run ok for a bit, until you start playing with it.

Shimmy1

Good luck with what? We've checked the high stop like you said, engine slows as soon as you take a little pressure of the high screw. We set the breakaway lever like you said as well.

What's the next step? What is that click we're hearing after it quits?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Didn’t mean anything by it..
Good luck w your project..
I guess next step is pulling the pump.. u should time it before removing it..
If u remove the big hex towards the front, just under the #1 cylinder, (10mm?)..u can rotate the engine in the correct normal rotation and watch that tappet in the hole..
When it JUST STARTS TO MOVE, STOP…your on #1 compression stroke.. find your timing marks… probably on the flywheel.?? And set the engine to the correct timing mark..
NOW pull the pump..
Good luck..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Forgot to mention..
If u take a brass drift and smack that hex plug a few times, you can almost back it out with your fingers..
If u don’t, your gonna end up smacking your Allan wrench with a hammer to get it to turn.
ITS TIGHT.!!