• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1989 RD686 with EC-6 350 Fuel issues?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
No.. the timing degree should be on the valve cover..
It looks like the tappet is on its way up, so just find the correct degree and your all set..
Looks like someone already marked it in WHITE.??

Truck Shop

I have a complete PDF I bought from Barrington that covers that engine. But because I have
been branded a sour old individual-I won't change that idea.

Shimmy1

I ordered this today, since I seem to be freeloading asking for service info. I maybe should have asked, but I assume this is a 4 valve head?Screenshot_20240205-212346.png

Pumpguy, I'm hoping it'll say in the book, but is this pump supposed to be spill timed? Never did that in school. My pump guy wasn't sure if the drive hub can be installed with the pump on the engine (he's not a Mack guy) and you have to rotate it off of TDC #1 for it to clear the gear train to remove or install.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
No spill timing..
the plug in the gov is hiding a pointer.. it’s spill timed on the test stand and the pointer is locked onto the cam shaft..
In other words, the pointer is your spill timing..
U better find someone else to do that pump.. u need a special jig to set that drive hub..
Is this the same people that told u how to diagnose the problem in the first place.??
Oh, u have to degrease the cam shaft and drive hub and torque it to 200 ftlbs.. otherwise it’ll spin on u..

Shimmy1

Update on the old Mack.

Turned out the first guy doesn't do enough of these pumps on Mack engines, so he didn't have the tooling to hold the cam and torque the nut for the drive hub. Under his suggestion, called Midland Diesel in Fargo and they were more than happy to help. They got it apart, and found sticky plungers and wornout governor. After an ultrasonic cleaning of the plungers, and a light lapping, they were ready to go. Rebuilt the governor, $1900 and done. Got it back, we had marked the drive gear and cam gear before removal, so getting it back on went pretty well. Since that stupid oil filler tube is directly in front of the timing plug, we used a phone with the camera to see in it to line up the pointer, and the bolts that hold the drive gear to the drive hub ended up virtually exact to where they were.

Primed it, cranked it over with the fuel shutoff pulled until it made oil pressure, again until had fuel at injector lines, and after tightening those, when I hit the key I think it started on the first piston up. Everyone in the shop, myself included, can't believe how good it starts. This engine must either be in remarkable shape, or we got lucky and hit the timing on the button. Pretty good considering you're supposed to have this fancy-ass sensor and light box to do it according to the book haha.