• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter Works

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
You guys live my worst nightmare.

My roads are dry and solid unless you get next to the ditch. My rock hauler called me this afternoon. He'll start hauling my rock Monday.

20/80

Occupation
operator
We had about 4-6 inches of wet snow, melted fast, back roads are wet and very soft to scrape off, we left alot of the backroads today, we were sinking to deep into the mud leaving huge ruts, the hills were the worst, calling for another round of snow this coming Sunday.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Another little dump coming tonight. I have been sick since I plowed on Friday. I think I have sweat off 10 pounds. Feeling a bit better. Hopefully good enough by 3am, or it's gonna be a shakey plow job

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well our storm on Sunday didn't amount to much here, light dusting at most, our forecasters are having a hard time getting in right, even close, lol, hopefully the weather will turn more spring like get my back roads dried up, I have a lot of work to do getting my roads back after this mild soft winter.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I've spent the past two days grading roads for rock. Yesterday evening I took my snow plow lights off. Jinxed myself. We got 2" of snow last night. No frost in ground with partly cloudy skies today. It'll be gone by noon. :)

20230328_082617.jpg

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Well our storm on Sunday didn't amount to much here, light dusting at most, our forecasters are having a hard time getting in right, even close, lol, hopefully the weather will turn more spring like get my back roads dried up, I have a lot of work to do getting my roads back after this mild soft winter.
We got about 8 inches, but everything cleaned up good. Safety course on Thursday. The crazy B@#ch wants us to bring our boots in so she can make sure they are CSA approved. I'm sure she won't like the fact that they are only 6 inch instead of 8. She has been on a chin strap for hard hats rant since last fall. Must go see if I can find some dog crap to step in before I take my boots in.

20/80

Occupation
operator
We got about 8 inches, but everything cleaned up good. Safety course on Thursday. The crazy B@#ch wants us to bring our boots in so she can make sure they are CSA approved. I'm sure she won't like the fact that they are only 6 inch instead of 8. She has been on a chin strap for hard hats rant since last fall. Must go see if I can find some dog crap to step in before I take my boots in.
We are safety coursed to death, can't count how many times I took A traffic control course, first aid, and diversity courses, all our courses start out now with 15 mins of thanking the Natives for the use and allowing us to be on their land, seems to be lots of money for this, but no money for steer tires on the salt trucks, it only keeps getting better.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We are safety coursed to death, can't count how many times I took A traffic control course, first aid, and diversity courses, all our courses start out now with 15 mins of thanking the Natives for the use and allowing us to be on their land, seems to be lots of money for this, but no money for steer tires on the salt trucks, it only keeps getting better.
Up until the last 3 years or so, DOT, or DTI they call it now, they had no safety. I was on my way to Moncton on the 126, and they had a 1 ton in the middle of the road with the 4ways on, patching pot holes. No signs, no flaggers, not even an amber light on the truck. 126 is a 90km road, so everyone does at least 110. On road contracts, the inspectors used to want hard hat and vest now it's sign inspections 3 times a day, field level hazard assesment cards and tool box talks every morning, hats, vests glasses. Stay in the 2km work zone, flag signs within 200meters of the flaggers. They went from zero to overkill

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Tomorrow is the spring foreman orientation. She has also been on a kick to get rid of a follow me truck on jobs. I intend on fully disagreeing with her on that. On any road job, we are allowed a 2km work zone for signs. You can have as many 2km work zones as you want, but each one has to be signed. Construction next 2km, men working and flaggers. The zones can overlap, but the flaggers must be within 200 meters of the flag signs. In a moving job like paving, or shouldering, you are constantly moving flaggers, and signs. With a follow me truck, you sign and work the entire zone. Flaggers have radios, and they talk to the follow me truck as well. The follow me truck is like the pace car, and slows the traffic down where we are working. Without it, as soon as the traffic goes by the flaggers, especially on a new paved road, it's foot to the floor.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Tomorrow is the spring foreman orientation. She has also been on a kick to get rid of a follow me truck on jobs. I intend on fully disagreeing with her on that. On any road job, we are allowed a 2km work zone for signs. You can have as many 2km work zones as you want, but each one has to be signed. Construction next 2km, men working and flaggers. The zones can overlap, but the flaggers must be within 200 meters of the flag signs. In a moving job like paving, or shouldering, you are constantly moving flaggers, and signs. With a follow me truck, you sign and work the entire zone. Flaggers have radios, and they talk to the follow me truck as well. The follow me truck is like the pace car, and slows the traffic down where we are working. Without it, as soon as the traffic goes by the flaggers, especially on a new paved road, it's foot to the floor.
I agree with you, to many cowboy's flying through a work site as it is without the follow me truck, bigger work sites should have them for sure, even though they are a pain to drivers, people just have to many distractions going on in their vehicles today while driving it seems, cell phones are the worst

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
20/80, since this thread has been so successful, how bout starting a Summer Works thread?

We can use the two to keep up with each other year around. :)

Course, I may be a bit premature for you Northenas. :)

20/80

Occupation
operator
Hi guy's, been busy the last couple of months, haven't posted much on the forum, well its that time of the year again, how time fly's when you get older, later getting my machine ready for plowing snow, still don't have my wing on yet, calling for a snow event tonight for here, lol, back roads will be soft no frost in them at all, wondering what everybody is up to, winter will soon set in

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Hi guy's, been busy the last couple of months, haven't posted much on the forum, well its that time of the year again, how time fly's when you get older, later getting my machine ready for plowing snow, still don't have my wing on yet, calling for a snow event tonight for here, lol, back roads will be soft no frost in them at all, wondering what everybody is up to, winter will soon set in
We got a dusting last night. Not a lot of frost in the ground, but it's hard enough. No grader plowing this year again. I noticed they had covered the exhaust on it the other day. Spent Friday moving loaders down to the malls for the pending snow that we never got yesterday. Hope it is not a snow then rain winter again.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
No snow for me down here yet been really nice weather mid 40’s up to 60 here last couple weeks next two weeks look mild also just really dry no moisture all last month haven’t put any snow equipment on probably won’t till we have some cold weather or we got a storm coming got one of my new cat 150s showing up end of December excited to get that machine.